The ever requested electronic aid deer hunting thread

Nomad

7 minutes ago, Belo said:

Maybe unethical was too far out there. How about we go with "sporting"? I work my ass off too so I get it, I passed 9 deer yesterday morning, but no I def didn't pass a 3.5 year old. 

For clarification, did you pick that spot based on a few weeks of patterns? Or did you pick that spot based on the activity you saw that morning or even the drive in?

I had one of my employees build me a bot that logs metadata from the cell cams, pulls in the us.gov weather info, and uses an algorithm to stack rank stand locations. It tells me where to go based on trends, conditions, and likelihood of those locations to have a deer visit. Hunt smarter, not harder. At least, that is Moultrie's slogan...

But seriously, I'm going hunting. 

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, phade said:

I have 7 cells on the 15 acres of timber that I hunted yesterday. That's it, to the corner for me, to see the pimp.

Good Grief. I'm done with this thread. Going hunting.

To the corner for me too. And I'll even haggle over the price!

I too agree, that this is an off season topic.........get out there and hunt fella's. It relieves stress.

16 minutes ago, phade said:

I had one of my employees build me a bot that logs metadata from the cell cams, pulls in the us.gov weather info, and uses an algorithm to stack rank stand locations. It tells me where to go based on trends, conditions, and likelihood of those locations to have a deer visit. Hunt smarter, not harder. At least, that is Moultrie's slogan...

i have no issue with that, i agree with hunting smarter based on camera, field observations, wind etc. 

You didn't really answer my questions, but I sense you're already past annoyed, so enjoy your hunt phade. For what it's worth I don't care if you kill a P&Y that you stalked on the ground or if you shoot a bb in a loin cloth. You do you... I do enjoy your input in this thread though :) good luck this year. 

14 minutes ago, grampy said:

To the corner for me too. And I'll even haggle over the price!

I too agree, that this is an off season topic.........get out there and hunt fella's. It relieves stress.

not everyone can hunt all the time grampy. One must also be careful to not overhunt good rut stands and not all are fortunate to have multiple pieces of property in order to spread out the pressure. Heck it wasn't that long ago that the season was still 2 weeks away. I don't know why everyone gets all bothered by what has been a very civil discussion (which is rare for this place haha).

This is a bit further off topic, but I've wondered about cell cams and trapping.  I'm sure its not currently legal, but should it be?

If a camera can send you a picture of a trap twice a day... shouldn't that suffice for the 24/48 check periods?

I know it would be unrealistic for a serious trapper to have cell cams on all his traps, but for a beginner or hobbyist, why not?

Obviously if the camera stops working, you'd need to go check your trap in person. 

• Like 1

Everyone says it's not about the size of the buck until they kill their first big one! In my experience...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I have one wall hanger. Since him I’ve killed 2 much much smaller ones than him. They both have a better story that I’d rather share around a campfire than how I got “the big one on the wall”. So for me it’s not about the size more about the story. Now I won’t lie I’m not out looking to kill any buck that walks by because I truly like to see them get bigger but if a small one fits my situation I’ll gladly shoot and tell the story for all to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this is true this is awesome!

This is a bit further off topic, but I've wondered about cell cams and trapping.  I'm sure its not currently legal, but should it be?
If a camera can send you a picture of a trap twice a day... shouldn't that suffice for the 24/48 check periods?
I know it would be unrealistic for a serious trapper to have cell cams on all his traps, but for a beginner or hobbyist, why not?
Obviously if the camera stops working, you'd need to go check your trap in person. 
Better get a Moultrie with unlimited data once you get a critter in said trap....

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Belo said:

I think there's zero moral, ethical, sporting or fair chase issue with the situation you describe. 

What about if you had 5 or 6 on a 20 acre property and used real time data to pick your stand that afternoon, or decided to get down and move or spot and stalk based on real time pics while in the stand? Or knew to stand and turn because one was coming from the east?

thoughts?

I would be ok with cameras being used in that way. I feel using cameras do lessen the quality of the story to be told around the campfire, much like a paid guided hunt.

I do not have cell cams, but have used trail cams. I haven't used them in 2 years for deer hunting because using them did take away from the hunt, and I started feeling like the deer were mine, so to speak.

That being said when I go in the woods to hunt I plan on killing, that is why I am there, so I have no objection over technology advantages. 

I would be ok with cameras being used in that way. I feel using cameras do lessen the quality of the story to be told around the campfire, much like a paid guided hunt.
I do not have cell cams, but have used trail cams. I haven't used them in 2 years for deer hunting because using them did take away from the hunt, and I started feeling like the deer were mine, so to speak.
That being said when I go in the woods to hunt I plan on killing, that is why I am there, so I have no objection over technology advantages. 
I'll pay shipping, send me those cams !

• Like 1

Captured on a cell cam

Cellular telephone camera.

Alexa told me to wake up and take the pic

Not to change the subject but she had to be bedded right near the stand. I didn't even have an arrow knocked and she was in the field. 592e7a960fed434cbc0c6a1cfa095b2d.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

I'll pay shipping, send me those cams !

I still use them but to watch my property for trespassing. People, like deer, are easy to pattern and always use the same easy paths to trespass. I can not watch multiple properties all the time, so the cameras are good for that

I still use them but to watch my property for trespassing. People, like deer, are easy to pattern and always use the same easy paths to trespass. I can not watch multiple properties all the time, so the cameras are good for that

Perfect for a cell cam. Imagine having a trespasser walk by and get instant notification !

• Like 2

I find the conversation interesting myself. Nobody has accused or gotten on anybody’s shit. Though a couple of you seem ticked off and we can’t have this convo? Not sure why?
I enjoy listening to others perspectives.

By the way I’m hunting a hundred acre property right now that has zero cams on it. Not sure if that is good cause right now I don’t think there are any deer in here lol!

I’m not against them I have 4 out on my 12 acres behind the house. Sometimes looking at them discourages me as well. No good bucks this year. But the I remember a lot of the big ones I see it’s the first time roaming through looking for does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have one wall hanger. Since him I’ve killed 2 much much smaller ones than him. They both have a better story that I’d rather share around a campfire than how I got “the big one on the wall”. So for me it’s not about the size more about the story. Now I won’t lie I’m not out looking to kill any buck that walks by because I truly like to see them get bigger but if a small one fits my situation I’ll gladly shoot and tell the story for all to hear.

But... There's a reason you got the one mounted and not the other two, right?

But... There's a reason you got the one mounted and not the other two, right?

Oh for sure. He was my first big buck and he deserved to be honored and put on my wall. Full mounts where not in the cards for the other 2 for 2 reasons.

1. I’m truly not a deer mount kind of person
2. Spending $1,000 would not be financially responsible for me.

I did however pay to have a nice Euro mount done and selected some nice skull hangers for them. 1. Currently resides in my daughters room as that is “her” deer and the other one patiently awaits for its spot on the wall.

I will say I 100% get your point. Even before my big one I started to drift towards bigger bucks. 1 for the challenge and 2. Because I do like to see bigger ones in the woods and the only way to do that is to pass on the smaller ones.

I just wanted to point out that your statement about a bucks size isn’t always true.

• Like 2

Oh for sure. He was my first big buck and he deserved to be honored and put on my wall. Full mounts where not in the cards for the other 2 for 2 reasons.

1. I’m truly not a deer mount kind of person
2. Spending $1,000 would not be financially responsible for me.

I did however pay to have a nice Euro mount done and selected some nice skull hangers for them. 1. Currently resides in my daughters room as that is “her” deer and the other one patiently awaits for its spot on the wall.

I will say I 100% get your point. Even before my big one I started to drift towards bigger bucks. 1 for the challenge and 2. Because I do like to see bigger ones in the woods and the only way to do that is to pass on the smaller ones.

I just wanted to point out that your statement about a bucks size isn’t always true.

I understand there are different circumstances, and I'm partially playing devil's advocate here also. But there's not a hunter out there that if faced with killing a big buck or a small buck, is choosing the small one. It's just not in our nature. So it's a strange phrase to me, when people downplay big bucks antlers but then find out they've never killed a big one. And BIG is certainly relative to the size you generally kill also. To me big is anything over 120". I will still kill a smaller buck in certain instances, but it's few and far between these days as I enjoy more mature deer now. I don't degrade most people for their deer size choices, I say most because there are a few people I have spoken my peace to. But ultimately, shoot what you're happy with. But I don't know a single hunter who doesn't seem happy with a BIG buck laying in front of them!

• Like 2

Oh no this was definitely a case of Equipment having the false appearance of being superior to prior setup. In reality it was far inferior a head and I switched back to my old setup and will never use a crappy mechanical again. Probably not ever

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

I just used an original 2 blade Rage to take a doe. Worked as good as I'd ever expect a broadhead to. Taken a lot of deer with mechanicals. Never had one fail. Gotta use something you arent worrying about though, even if false concerns. Big part of bowhunting in my mind.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I just used an original 2 blade Rage to take a doe. Worked as good as I'd ever expect a broadhead to. Taken a lot of deer with mechanicals. Never had one fail. Gotta use something you arent worrying about though, even if false concerns. Big part of bowhunting in my mind.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Absolutely! That's why I'm gonna stick to my WASP BOSS broadheads. The head that failed was not a rage.

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton