The ever requested electronic aid deer hunting thread

Nomad

I'll chime in as said instigator. 

First and foremost, I did not bring up the issue because I'm opposed to those who are legally using the tech today. It's legal and it's your right.I will add however that it's not for me, and mostly because it seems to take some of the joy, excitement and sport out of hunting. I should add that hunting for me isn't about shooting a book buck. Hell yes I strive for one, and hell yes I do everything I can to harvest one, but I hunt because I like the time in the woods and I enjoy the escape. I like watching critters and I love me some venison.

I find that there is some distinction between the guy hunting over the ridge sending a text that deer are coming. You really can't buy that guy. That's another person with just as much and sometimes more invested in getting a deer as you. He also has odor and movement and a silhouette. Knowing where a deer is that isn't in view seems not very sporting to me and it also lends to the means that some may have over others.

Finally, what's the difference between illegal drones and cell cams really?

12 hours ago, grampy said:

And I don't care at all what other hunters do, as long as it's legal. As far as I know, there is no law saying it is illegal.

12 hours ago, sodfather said:

point is I use every advantage I can as long as it’s legal. 

Us hunters throw this phrase around a lot and it hurts some productive debates and friendly/civil discussions because "who cares it's legal", like every game law we have is ethical :rolleyes:. So lets change the question to, "Should cell cams WHILE hunting, be legal"? 

Edited by Belo

12 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Who cares what the other guys are doing

I'm not sure anyone here cares... why can't we ever just have a discussion on part of the sport without everyone getting so huffy puffy? I swear some of you have never sat around the campfire or at a bar and bull shitted about hunting and it shows.

Me: Hey Jeremy what do you think about cell cams?

Jeremy: who cares

Me: how about the weather? 

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

I'm not sure anyone here cares... why can't we ever just have a discussion on part of the sport without everyone getting so huffy puffy? I swear some of you have never sat around the campfire or at a bar and bull shitted about hunting and it shows.

Me: Hey Jeremy what do you think about cell cams?

Jeremy: who cares

Me: how about the weather? 

The weather sucks right now

• Like 2

Belo. I used the phrase - it's legal, because I do not feel that I'm cheating. I do not feel I'm unethical. And I'm 100% fair chase. That being said, it is legal and due to that fact I will continue to do what I do. Cell cams are a huge advancement in hunting and a fantastic way to scout. I encourage you to get one.

Still to me, when do you start and stop judging others on their ethics ? Compound bows over long bows, huge advancement in the sport. Treestands vs ground hunting, huge advancement. Centerfire rifles over black powder. Trail cams then cell cams. Camo patterns. Scents. There's a million advancements to make hunting "easier".

I'll ask anyone who thinks it's unethical to hunt with a cell cam, to kindly let us know exactly how they hunt and I'm certain we could pick apart a pile of things that push this same "ethics" line.

And since you cannot hear my tone ( we aren't at the campfire ). I am calm and cool, but feel a bit defensive as my ethics are in question.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

I am conducting a research project and will be interviewing the Amish community this weekend to hear their thoughts on cell cams and drones......will keep everyone posted.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

They hide the drones under their straw hats.   :)

• Like 2

Possibly a different brand / model but I shoot rage extreme and they are always wide open when I find them. And when I say wide I mean WIDE

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Mine was a Firenock Swingblade. Turned me off to any and all mechanicals likely for life.

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

24 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

I am conducting a research project and will be interviewing the Amish community this weekend to hear their thoughts on cell cams and drones......will keep everyone posted.

When one hunts all year round why would they need such devices ..

I have cell cams every 20 yards in my hunting spots and use a satellite overlay to graph the deer so I know when they are coming to the minute so I can ambush them.   This is me recently caught on one of those cams .  I don't use a gun so people will think I am hunting fair to even it out. Cause I am worried about making everyone happy while I enjoy myself in the woods.  

Lol. Hunt however you want to by legal means and if someone doesn't like it they can lump it.  Lol. Everyone have a great season. 

37578.gif

• Like 1

Some of us are just an enigma.  Sometimes I  hunt with a stickbow  and other times I use a thermal scanner and scope (not deer).  I like cell cams but have never killed a deer I could attribute to cam pics directly other than knowing a deer is in the area. All in all, who really cares.  

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I have cell cams every 20 yards in my hunting spots and use a satellite overlay to graph the deer so I know when they are coming to the minute so I can ambush them.   This is me recently caught on one of those cams .  I don't use a gun so people will think I am hunting fair to even it out. Cause I am worried about making everyone happy while I enjoy myself in the woods.  

Lol. Hunt however you want to by legal means and if someone doesn't like it they can lump it.  Lol. Everyone have a great season. 

37578.gif

Ok when you’ve lost that much hair just shave the rest off rob ^_^

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mlammerhirt said:

That's the next forum topic I'll be posting once we get to the dreaded lockdown/lull phase of the season. Stop jumping ahead! Lol

Sorry ,sorry , my bad .....

3 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I love the idea of being able to check cams without entering the woods. Other than that Id rather not see a world where a property is covered in them and hunters are essentially surveilling deer as theyre hunting and moving accordingly. Thats the line for me

I must be doing it wrong.  My cams send pics 2x a day - 8am and 8pm.  Not much help for the scenario you describe.  I like them mostly because I am too lazy to swap cards.  

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

I must be doing it wrong.  My cams send pics 2x a day - 8am and 8pm.  Not much help for the scenario you describe.  I like them mostly because I am too lazy to swap cards.  

Im not suggesting anyone is using them for what I described but feel like its headed that direction

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

I'll chime in as said instigator. 

First and foremost, I did not bring up the issue because I'm opposed to those who are legally using the tech today. It's legal and it's your right.I will add however that it's not for me, and mostly because it seems to take some of the joy, excitement and sport out of hunting. I should add that hunting for me isn't about shooting a book buck. Hell yes I strive for one, and hell yes I do everything I can to harvest one, but I hunt because I like the time in the woods and I enjoy the escape. I like watching critters and I love me some venison.

I find that there is some distinction between the guy hunting over the ridge sending a text that deer are coming. You really can't buy that guy. That's another person with just as much and sometimes more invested in getting a deer as you. He also has odor and movement and a silhouette. Knowing where a deer is that isn't in view seems not very sporting to me and it also lends to the means that some may have over others.

Finally, what's the difference between illegal drones and cell cams really?

I can honestly say I did not purchase a cell cam to get a text of a buck and drive 2 hrs to my lease to kill it. I got it so I don’t ever have to funk up the woods by checking cards . And i would love a drone to fly over the swamps to see where the ducks are hiding . But then again I don’t like to shoot hens and others don’t care. Bottom line I guess my ethics are screwed up but I mean well. 

• Like 3

Its kind of the same thing that has happened to fishing. i was watching the tourneys just past in NY and they all have huge fishfinders that show them basically underwater video of each fish and they target individual fish through the electronics. Way different than the fishing I do. My fishfinder all I use it for is how deep and water temp. But then again they catch a heck of a lot more fish lol.

But at what point does it just go to fishing out of an aquarium basically?  At some point we all moved on from fishing in the kiddie trout pond at the fair at a certain age. Why?

Good, bad or indifferent things and perspectives change over time.

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 2