The ever requested electronic aid deer hunting thread

Nomad

Its kind of the same thing that has happened to fishing. i was watching the tourneys just past in NY and they all have huge fishfinders that show them basically underwater video of each fish and they target individual fish through the electronics. Way different than the fishing I do. My fishfinder all I use it for is how deep and water temp. But then again they catch a heck of a lot more fish lol.

But at what point does it just go to fishing out of an aquarium basically?  At some point we all moved on from fishing in the kiddie trout pond at the fair at a certain age. Why?

Good, bad or indifferent things and perspectives change over time.
In fairness you could give me all that and I still probably wouldn't be catching fish hand over fist.

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Belo. I used the phrase - it's legal, because I do not feel that I'm cheating. I do not feel I'm unethical. And I'm 100% fair chase. That being said, it is legal and due to that fact I will continue to do what I do. Cell cams are a huge advancement in hunting and a fantastic way to scout. I encourage you to get one.

Still to me, when do you start and stop judging others on their ethics ? Compound bows over long bows, huge advancement in the sport. Treestands vs ground hunting, huge advancement. Centerfire rifles over black powder. Trail cams then cell cams. Camo patterns. Scents. There's a million advancements to make hunting "easier".

I'll ask anyone who thinks it's unethical to hunt with a cell cam, to kindly let us know exactly how they hunt and I'm certain we could pick apart a pile of things that push this same "ethics" line.

And since you cannot hear my tone ( we aren't at the campfire ). I am calm and cool, but feel a bit defensive as my ethics are in question.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I'll apologize now if you felt I was judging. It's not always easy to express ones intent over the internet. HOWEVER, I do think it's an interesting discussion which is what I was alluding too. Exactly to your point, the limitations one puts on oneself should be all that matters and for that I agree. 

Now that that's out of the way, I do think it's an interesting conversation. I could see them in my future for scouting and reducing impact, but I would forever struggle with having them "live" while in the stand. This isn't to say they're unethical, just maybe not for me. Many states have various laws for hunting the same species. For example, you can use just about any crossbow you want in Ohio. You can bait deer not to far south from here, you can run deer with dogs in some states. Some states wont allow you to use technology on your bow (think the garmin range finder site), you can hunt a buck in velvet in KY etc. The reason I mention this is only to point out that what is legal doesn't necessarily make it ethical and vice versa. I think this tech discussion is more about sporting than it is about ethics though.

Bottom line, where's the line drawn? Does there need to be a line? P&Y wouldn't recognize your buck, and maybe who cares? I like this conversation and that's all. 

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Some of us are just an enigma.  Sometimes I  hunt with a stickbow  and other times I use a thermal scanner and scope (not deer).  I like cell cams but have never killed a deer I could attribute to cam pics directly other than knowing a deer is in the area. All in all, who really cares.  

I don't think anyone really does care, but the fact that this thread is already 4 pages does say something doesn't it? 

We have had a hundred threads on baiting, ARs and crossbows. They all read just like this "if it's legal who cares", "you do you", "go hunt and get off the net". I've alway taken each of these threads as just bull shitting and nothing more. Right now I'm stuck in my home office and bull shitting helps pass the time.

All that said, it's threads like these that have helped me form opinions and even changed my tune after having said discussions so I do value them too.

Hunting partner in the stand in background while the cell sent this. Ethical violation and going to Dante's 7th level of hell? Dunno.
GO HUNT!
deer.jpg.ddde6f765f57789b066dc3d36465524a.jpg
According to some potentially. According to me who cares. Not that my opinion is worth anything on the matter. Hope he slays a monster. Same for you!

#WeDemandADislikeButton

1 hour ago, sodfather said:

I can honestly say I did not purchase a cell cam to get a text of a buck and drive 2 hrs to my lease to kill it. I got it so I don’t ever have to funk up the woods by checking cards . And i would love a drone to fly over the swamps to see where the ducks are hiding . But then again I don’t like to shoot hens and others don’t care. Bottom line I guess my ethics are screwed up but I mean well. 

I think there's zero moral, ethical, sporting or fair chase issue with the situation you describe. 

What about if you had 5 or 6 on a 20 acre property and used real time data to pick your stand that afternoon, or decided to get down and move or spot and stalk based on real time pics while in the stand? Or knew to stand and turn because one was coming from the east?

thoughts?

40 minutes ago, phade said:

It's hunting season. Go hunt.

i know this wasn't a double post and I know cams have a special place in your heart. What's the harm in discussing them?

30 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Everyone says it's not about the size of the buck until they kill their first big one! In my experience...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if this was directed at me, but I've killed some nice deer and I still disagree with this, and I know many veteran hunters on this board do too. There's nothing wrong with pursuing the big buck and still enjoying hunting for other reasons than the grip and grin.

Here's a few "target bucks" from my new property. Unfortunately these are from non-cell cams. Sorry for that I guess.
PS I won that wildgame camera from the fine folks on this forum
1.thumb.jpg.de87849007e38ce0471be00f48efa4c0.jpg
2.thumb.jpg.fb1b88b46dd8b01b8fb52c64fd0e2fee.jpg
3.thumb.jpg.ba6e54d11724eab1320de2f43923d063.jpg

Hope you get a crack at at least two of em!

#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure if this was directed at me, but I've killed some nice deer and I still disagree with this, and I know many veteran hunters on this board do too. There's nothing wrong with pursuing the big buck and still enjoying hunting for other reasons than the grip and grin.
It wasn't necessarily at you but at that phrase, and I do agree to an extent. But generally speaking when people try to de-emphasize how much they seek a big buck it's usually because it has eluded them. I'm not a trophy hunter either, but after I killed my first 3.5+ buck, I strive for that every year now. It's not about the inches to me, it's about the age. I find the older deer (3.5+ to me) a greater challenge.

• Like 1

My point is this stuff is fodder for the offseason. It's hunting season - I'd prefer we talk about the weather conditions, the pressure, the rain coming, the acorn drop, whatever.

Look, P&Y and B&C will fold up shop when one of the major species gets killed with aid of a cell cam - god help them should it be a whitetail. Their refusal to acknowledge it - when legal in said location - will be their nail in the coffin. Orgs die if they don't reflect the majority of member sentiment or the community with which they support. Notice that electronic comm reg came out of the book - because times change. The reg wasn't dropped for anything other than hunters moral compass changed...

And yes, I completely decided where I sat last afternoon based on cell cams. I passed up a 110-115" three year old, three other one year olds, and a pile of does (not shooting them on a weeknight). I worked 55 hours up until I hit that stand yesterday PM due to work issues. Don't really care if someone calls me unethical for making a decision using the info I collect with little time. Go pound sand - unless you are in a loin cloth with sharpened stone and self made bow. Then you can tell me to go pound sand.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

If we take a moment, and reflect on all the input on this thread, with an unbiased opinion..... No member has said it's not ethical or not fair chase. We continue to post how we all agree with that in different ways.
This thread is proof that we all have different moral compasses but they all show the same true north. To me, this is a win for the forum once you cut through it all!

Lots of great morals out there, different as they may be !

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

It wasn't necessarily at you but at that phrase, and I do agree to an extent. But generally speaking when people try to de-emphasize how much they seek a big buck it's usually because it has eluded them. I'm not a trophy hunter either, but after I killed my first 3.5+ buck, I strive for that every year now. It's not about the inches to me, it's about the age. I find the older deer (3.5+ to me) a greater challenge.

Exactly. And I'll bet you can celebrate a friend killing a spike, if they are happy.

I also laugh when hunters say old mature bucks don't taste good..... I also know why they say such things.

• Like 2

I remember being  invited  to a hunting club by a friend  years ago  and they used  radios   on there deer drives  to call ahead to the guys waiting  in stands  never really thought about it before being a bad thing really .  more like  a safety thing  in ways  .

Edited by phantom

OMG people, we, well atleast me I hunt to kill deer so I can eat them. Love to shoot big bucks, but also kill does. As long as the implement and devices we use to up our odds are legal, have at it. But remember, the aspect of hunting is to kill, to reduce herd numbers. Using cell cams or cams in general guarantees you nothing at harvesting deer, it just puts you possibly in a better position.  Most of my biggest bucks, I never even had pictures of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

I think there's zero moral, ethical, sporting or fair chase issue with the situation you describe. 

What about if you had 5 or 6 on a 20 acre property and used real time data to pick your stand that afternoon, or decided to get down and move or spot and stalk based on real time pics while in the stand? Or knew to stand and turn because one was coming from the east?

thoughts?

I think that’s like paying a prostitute for sex. It’s a sure thing but if I apply myself and put some work in it I can probably achieve the same results without paying money . 

1 hour ago, phade said:

My point is this stuff is fodder for the offseason. It's hunting season - I'd prefer we talk about the weather conditions, the pressure, the rain coming, the acorn drop, whatever.

Look, P&Y and B&C will fold up shop when one of the major species gets killed with aid of a cell cam - god help them should it be a whitetail. Their refusal to acknowledge it - when legal in said location - will be their nail in the coffin. Orgs die if they don't reflect the majority of member sentiment or the community with which they support. Notice that electronic comm reg came out of the book - because times change. The reg wasn't dropped for anything other than hunters moral compass changed...

And yes, I completely decided where I sat last afternoon based on cell cams. I passed up a 110-115" three year old, three other one year olds, and a pile of does (not shooting them on a weeknight). I worked 55 hours up until I hit that stand yesterday PM due to work issues. Don't really care if someone calls me unethical for making a decision using the info I collect with little time. Go pound sand - unless you are in a loin cloth with sharpened stone and self made bow. Then you can tell me to go pound sand.

Maybe unethical was too far out there. How about we go with "sporting"? I work my ass off too so I get it, I passed 9 deer yesterday morning, but no I def didn't pass a 3.5 year old. 

For clarification, did you pick that spot based on a few weeks of patterns? Or did you pick that spot based on the activity you saw that morning or even the drive in?

17 minutes ago, sodfather said:

I think that’s like paying a prostitute for sex. It’s a sure thing but if I apply myself and put some work in it I can probably achieve the same results without paying money . 

I have 7 cells on the 15 acres of timber that I hunted yesterday. That's it, to the corner for me, to see the pimp.

Good Grief. I'm done with this thread. Going hunting.

• Like 2