Zeeks predator pursuits 2020

Fun night...

First set across the street from my house nothin but deer. 1 good buck in the group.

Set 2, new big field we hunted for the first time last week. Got setup and started calling. 10 minutes in i picked up 2 dogs to our right. They started moving away but then 1 decided to come in to the call. Around 125ish yards it stopped and gave me a head on shot, everything felt good and at the shot it took off...wtf i tracked it in the scope as it was running hoping it would stop. Finally it stopped broad side at a touch under 300 yards. I held just over its back and fired, we both herd the thump of the bullet hitting and the yote yipped and took off. We waited 10 mins with the call going with pup distress hoping maybe the 2nd dog would come investigate, that didnt happen. So we went and took up the track of the wounded yote. Tracked it for over 500 yards following just small drops of blood. It never laid down in that time so we called it. 

3rd set a field in Akron ive hunted quite a bit. Had 2 groups going last week but no one showed up. I changed our setup a little and we moved down and across the field more than usual. Set the call out and begain with some young male howls. Nothing so i switched to male interogation howls. Boom we had some light up a few hundred yards away in a brushy area. I kept the call going until i spotted the 2 emerge with my thermal. Stopped the call and got on the gun. 2 yotes coming in, at this time im trying to get my buddy to pick up one of the yotes and im following the other. He could only see 1 most of the time. They were passing behind a large tree and he finally saw both. I told him to take the one on the right, i got the left one. They were making thier way up wind of the call and i knew we needed them to stop. I barked and they locked up. I said i was ready and was going to shoot. He said ok and boom! We shot simultaneously, my yote dropped, i scan over to his and its up on its front legs but the butt was down, i saw it struggling so i settle the cross hairs on its chest and...it takes off a second before i was able to shoot. My buddy takes a running shot and i took 4 more...gotta practice those i guess. I start watching it in my thermal scanner and see its getting close to a road and crosses it. I loose it at this point. We decided to go get mine and follow his tracks. We find my light yote, good looking color but a bit mangey. Follow his, bloody tracks all the way till we are 40 yards from the road and scan over and its on the other side watching us. We go back get mine and our gear and head to the truck. We park near were his yote was and follow tracks to a bloody bed and then tracks leaving...damn, tracked it over 600 yards. 

First male ive got this year.

Fun night.

20201220_022838.jpg

20201220_004820.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Went out last night for a shorter night of hunting. Was at a buddies property in marilla he was hunting for the first time this year, hasnt shot a yote in years. He warned me and another buddy he hasnt heard yotes in a month. Well thats a challenge than. Called for 35 minutes with nothing, then they lit up in a field to our right over a hill. We decided to move to them as they were probably 700ish yards away. When we crested the hill a hedgerow separated us from another field that ended at some woods 400 yards away. I spotted 2 coming out of those woods in the thermal. Placed the call out and we spread out a little. Hit them with a couple interogation howls and two came booking in across the field. I was the only one with night vision, my buddy the property owner was running red lights he was next to me. I watched the two work to our right and head thru the hedgerow. I kept communicating with him about where they were. Expecting him to get his light on as they were within 100 yards. One stopped maybe 75 yards away and i told him i was going to shoot, he asked where the other one was, i took the scope off one to find the other, i felt i needed to get him on one...but he never turned his light on. I got the 2nd one in my scope as it stopped for a second but he asked again where they were...needless to say they both retreated back to their tree line were they howled back and then the rest of the pack lit up, then another pack to our left and a single behind us. No shots fired, talked with the yotes for 1hr 45min. My buddy explained at the end he didnt want to turn his light on and mess up my view through my scope...then why worry where they are lol? Good times, happy i had them talking.

• Like 6

While I like the slik and bog pod tripods, it gets old adjusting and closing them down with the leg locks.

I switched over to the Trigger stick years ago.

Mount a hog saddle on it and your good to go.

They also make a scabbard to carry them.

Just don't land on it when you crash riding through a field at night and they'll last a long time.

9 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

While I like the slik and bog pod tripods, it gets old adjusting and closing them down with the leg locks.

I switched over to the Trigger stick years ago.

Mount a hog saddle on it and your good to go.

They also make a scabbard to carry them.

Just don't land on it when you crash riding through a field at night and they'll last a long time.

I stand in all the places i hunt. The most i ever had to adjust wast a couple inches up on the center post. Legs stay the same height all the time. I attach the rifle to it at the truck and over my shoulder it goes.

I hear you, but you don't have to do that with a trigger stick, as it retracts and extends with the pull of the trigger.

I can't drive around and travel to my stands with a fully extended tripod, especially in the dark.

Watch this video from the 1:35 second mark.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

I hear you, but you don't have to do that with a trigger stick, as it retracts and extends with the pull of the trigger.

I can't drive around and travel to my stands with a fully extended tripod, especially in the dark.

Watch this video from the 1:35 second mark.

I tried the trigger stick with my reaper grip mounted.  Because the trigger stick  attachment point is all plastic, it felt like it was going to break with the grip and gun mounted whenever I moved it.  Not stable enough for me.  Wish it worked because I do like the trigger aspect.  Works fine with the V attachment that comes with it but I want something to hold the gun hands free.  I prefer my slik tripod with the reaper grip but to each his own. 

• Like 1

In a one night tournament tomorrow night. Starting at 5pm and probably hunting till 7am sunday morning. We have alot of new spots spread out from medina down to bliss. Hoping the weather doesnt do anything crazy, wind looks a bit high for my liking but gotta take what you can get. Whenever i wake up sunday...or monday ill post up pics and stories.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

That's some serious miles Medina to Bliss.
At least you'll have the Bills game to keep ya going from 8:15-11:30.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Yes that will be on from each location. We were signed up for this tournament before we knew about when the games would be played. Cant back out on the $30 entry fee now lol!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I'd love to find a tripod that is long enough for me. At 6'4" I have yet to get behind one I didn't have to band over or have the legs so close they aren't' that stable. 

Im 5'11" and the slik pro 700dx definitely has the height u need. I leave the center post down completely at 95% of my sets. It has probably 12" of extra up travel if needed.

• Like 2

Fun, frustrating, draining...

Hunted from 630pm-6am, called in a total of 5 yotes. 2 got to come home with me, missed 1 somehow, still bothering me. Both males, one was 39lbs the other just under 43lbs. Hoping my buddy has pics, i just got video. Ill probably get a pic of them tomorrow when i skin'm.

• Like 2