Zeeks predator pursuits 2020

Starting this thread for my predator hunting this year. First night will be tomorrow night, in a 1 day tourney so hope we get some early season action. Ill post up pictures of my setup later as ive gotten a new scope, ir light, tripod and caller for this year. Hope this thread will help anyone interested in starting out yote/fox hunting and also hoping i can learn from more seasoned predator hunters.

• Like 7

Holy cow, just got outta bed...got in it a little after 7am.:boredom:. We did 7 sets, starting at 9pm in Lancaster. Had 2 dogs start talkin back half hour in to that set. No one showed up though. Did have a fox make a appearance. Next one had them going again but wrong side of the road. Had eyes show up on a skinny 4 wheeler path, i couldnt tell for sure if it was a yote or fox. Next stop had 2 packs going on either side of us again no takers. Next stop on new property to hunt had a fox come in but nothing from yotes. Next stop again 2 packs going off but no yotes, 2 fox showed though. Next stop just down the road from that one, put the call out get back to the gun, run what is now one of my favorite yote vocals on my new lucky duck call and MAYBE 12 seconds in a young female came flying in to the call, movin to fast for buddy to shoot. It stopped within 15ft of the call and i dropped her. Probably a 80-90 yard shot, first kill with the .204, and all the new goodies. 1 more set after that and as usual had a single dog respond but wouldn't come in. Got in bed just after 7am lol. Fun, frustrating, and a good learning night. 

20201004_063953.jpg

• Like 16

28 minutes ago, Sir-diealot said:

Know of a good light to mount to a rifle for somebody looking to just start out? I will be using a .243 with a 50mm lens on it. Oh and good luck.

Id get a wicked light 403i, i started out with ebay specials and they suck. I then went with the 403i, great light and gun mount.

36 minutes ago, Sir-diealot said:

Know of a good light to mount to a rifle for somebody looking to just start out? I will be using a .243 with a 50mm lens on it. Oh and good luck.

Id also reccomend getting the kit with the scan pro headlamp. I liked scanning with the headlamp over using a spot light type of scanner. 

3rd stop had 1 come in 20 min in. It decided it didnt like something and went to leave. It stopped for a second and i shot. I knew it was far, so i held top of its back. Shot and it took off. Shot was just over 300 yards. Couldnt find blood. 4th stop, they were goin off when we got out of the truck. Set up and had 2 groups soundin off but no takers. Good night everyone.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

This is a split second before the bang on the miss. Watching the video he reacted like he was hit. Came up on his hind legs and swung his head back torwards his mid section...

VideoCapture_20201008-095150.jpg

sure sounds like a hit biting at the entrance

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Shoots100 said:

Excellent hunting.

The .204 has it's limitations, one being lost prey when not hit perfectly.

Nature of the little beast, but I'll bet it died later on.

Its the nature of nys. I hunt enough areas were i cant use .22 or larger now, and i cant afford to have 2 setups like this but differant calibers. Id go with a 22-250 if i could use it at half my properties now. With the .204 i am using 40gr bullets because they group really well, but its also the heaviest projectile i can throw at them. 

Also im not a fan of wounding any animal i hunt, hope its either fine or dead now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Its the nature of nys. I hunt enough areas were i cant use .22 or larger now, and i cant afford to have 2 setups like this but differant calibers. Id go with a 22-250 if i could use it at half my properties now. With the .204 i am using 40gr bullets because they group really well, but its also the heaviest projectile i can throw at them. 

Also im not a fan of wounding any animal i hunt, hope its either fine or dead now.

That's why I go right to the 35 Gunner after bow season ends.

One nice feature about the Pulsars, is their ability to have it sighted in for a couple of rifle profiles.

I have a QD mount and mine is set up for the 35 G, 9mm PCP and the 20 Prac.

I use a 34 grn HP nosler in my 20 practical and keep my shots within 200 yards.

I've pushed it further, but like you, I don't like wounding animals, even a coyote.