cranberry mtn.

greybeard

I happened to be in Ct. today so I drove to New York to Cranberry Mountain just to show someone an area where I used to hunt.

Just before the first parking area at Cranberry I noticed a parking area on the other side of the street, with a sign that advised hikers to wear orange.

I have not been to Cranberry in a few years and never remember seeing that spot ( I think it might be County land).

Does anyone know of that area and is hunting allowed.I should have gotten out of the car to read the sign,but I wasn't thinkin' clearly I guess and drove right past it without stopping. I guess I was having a SENIOR MOMENT !!!

Cranberry is very popular among small game hunters and dog walkers, you need to pick your hours, I go there at night sometimes or really early this way you can have your peace and get some hunting done, good pheasant area and I hear yotes all over the place. I haven't been successful there yet but I will keep trying. It is a nice area just too stressed, also try Great Swamp on the other side of rt 22, similar story, just pick your time and you should be good to go....

I'm pretty familiar with the Cranberry Mt. State land. I started hunting there in the late 80's into the 90's and a few times after 2000. I just hadn't been there in some time. I got quite a few pheasants back then.I even got one not too far from the pond in the back..Also got a grouse there, which made my day since I didn't expect it.

I always loved that spot...I just never remembered a public trail on the other side of the road

I hope the County spot get's stocked with pheasants also. It' d be good for the Putnam residents.. It gives 'em a little more for their County tax money.

I hope to read some future success stories from that spot.

I'm not sure if I ever hunted the Great Swamp, I may have many years ago., maybe around 1965. There used to be a Putnam County Coop where you checked in daily and got a permit to hunt the coop lands. I think there was a parking/hunting area on rt. 22 that was part of the Great Swamp

( I never heard of the name GREAT SWAMP until recently). The spot we hunted was like marsh land.

I'm pretty familiar with the Cranberry Mt. State land. I started hunting there in the late 80's into the 90's and a few times after 2000. I just hadn't been there in some time. I got quite a few pheasants back then.I even got one not too far from the pond in the back..Also got a grouse there, which made my day since I didn't expect it.

I always loved that spot...I just never remembered a public trail on the other side of the road

I hope the County spot get's stocked with pheasants also. It' d be good for the Putnam residents.. It gives 'em a little more for their County tax money.

I hope to read some future success stories from that spot.

I'm not sure if I ever hunted the Great Swamp, I may have many years ago., maybe around 1965. There used to be a Putnam County Coop where you checked in daily and got a permit to hunt the coop lands. I think there was a parking/hunting area on rt. 22 that was part of the Great Swamp

( I never heard of the name GREAT SWAMP until recently). The spot we hunted was like marsh land.

For those of you that have been missing for a while,the Great Swamp WMA is a fairly new property located on Cornwall Hill Rd. in the town of Patterson,coming in from rte 311 it be on your left after you pass the town garage and cross the RR tracks,if you are going to hunt make sure you stay away from the house on the right,the bird houses are the 500 ft markers

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I saw both deer and coyote at the Great Swamp this past season. The grasses were cut very short on most of the lower fields this year. I'm not a wildlife biologist, but I found quite a few dead pheasant in those fields and it seems to me the loss of cover made them easier prey for Hawks and Coyote.

My reco is to stay away from both Cranberry MTN and the Great Swamp early in the season, as it is a war zone there. I wait till things quiet down later in the year.

Both areas are close to my home, but I don't think I'd otherwise make an intentional trip to either if it required much travel. That is particularly true early in the season when the parking lots can get filled and you'd have to spend a few hours at a diner waiting for a spot to open up.

I've never been into the area across from Cranberry (that evidently used to be Putnam only), but it doesn't appear to be fields. Looks like hardwoods from the road, so I bet this would be best suited for those deer hunting.

• 6 months later...