Local guy fell out of his stand today

mowin

My brothers neighbor was a first responder on the scene.  She can't say too much, but the vibe I'm getting from her BIL who is a very good friend and all of us went to school with Steve, is he's in serious condition. 

I've been hunting from the ground the past few days because my grandnephew Kayden has been using my vest until his is delivered.  

I think he understands the importance now.  Steve's son is in his class..  

5 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I pray he recovers soon. I am assuming he was not wearing a harness?

I'm assuming you are correct.  I truly don't know if he was, and this happened as he was descending, or stand collapsed. I do know he had several hand built wooden platform stands he used, as well as store bought ladder stands. But no clue which he was in. 

Edited by mowin

4 minutes ago, mowin said:

I'm assuming you are correct.  I truly don't know if he was, and this happened as he was descending, or stand collapsed. I do know he had several hand built wooden platform stands he used, as well as store bought ladder stands. But no clue which he was in. 

Please keep us informed. I will continue to keep him in prayer. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jpastor1759 said:

Hope he is OK, Got to wear that harness every time even in a ladder stand.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I do wear my harness even in the ladder stand but not the lifeline like I do for all hang ons. I do connect once I'm up top. I do agree that a lifeline would be good idea from any stand type. 

Edited by nybuckboy
  • Like 2

prayers to him and his family for a speedy recovery.

hearing stuff like this is the part that scared me away from stands. I'm happy I found saddles and use a climbing method that keeps me connected at all times
Switched to the saddle this year and I have never felt safer. If you can get into one the are great.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jpastor1759 said:

If you can get into one the are great.

So how difficult are they to "get" into, or more importantly, out of?  Old guys who's dexterity isn't as good as those half our age would like to know.

Prayers sent.  I have never cared for heights myself, especially as I have gotten older and took on more responsibilities (family etc).   Deer ain't all that smart, and it is not overly difficult to kill them from ground level, or slightly elevated.  These days, all of my stands are lower than 10 ft.  Most have good safety rails that also serve as gun or crossbow rests.

Bow hunting is tough and definitely a young person's game.  Having to draw a bow with a deer in close forces those high positions.  The crossbow solves that problem and let's you kill them from down low.  Just another reason for everyone to support full inclusion.  Scew those selfish elitist sobs whos objections to thsy result in  tragedies such as this.

All it takes to kill deer from down low is some good cover around your stand.  

• Like 2

Update....

Steve has broken leg, broken femur, shattered hip, and one broken vertebra in his back.  Head injury might not be as bad as they first thought.  Going into surgery this morning.  He was hunting alone, and called for help.