Local guy fell out of his stand today

mowin

I’m sorry to hear that. Just yesterday I was on state land and saw a brand new tree stand only like 10 feet high and I was going to climb it and sit in it and then I thought about having a newborn daughter at home and no cell service therefore nobody would know where I am and decided against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, mowin said:

Update....

Steve has broken leg, broken femur, shattered hip, and one broken vertebra in his back.  Head injury might not be as bad as they first thought.  Going into surgery this morning.  He was hunting alone, and called for help.   

Horrible.  He'll probably never be the same again.  I was never crazy about tree stands and at my age I will be hunting from the ground.  Easy decision after hearing numerous stories like this every hunting season.

• Like 1

Update....
Steve has broken leg, broken femur, shattered hip, and one broken vertebra in his back.  Head injury might not be as bad as they first thought.  Going into surgery this morning.  He was hunting alone, and called for help.   

Scary stuff. It certainly stands as a grim reminder to do all we can to stay safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

So how difficult are they to "get" into, or more importantly, out of?  Old guys who's dexterity isn't as good as those half our age would like to know.
There is a learning curve for sure. I got mine over the summer and have gotten good at it. Check it out tethered on you tube. John Eberhart hunts out if one still and he has to be in his 60s. Sold my tree walker climber and took the chance glad I did

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I wish your friend a fast and full recovery. 

I will say that one of the positive things to emerge from forums like these are 1st hand accounts of people’s experience with tree stand falls. After years of hunting without protection, my first harness will be arriving today and I won’t climb up a tree stand again without one. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

I wish your friend a fast and full recovery. 

I will say that one of the positive things to emerge from forums like these are 1st hand accounts of people’s experience with tree stand falls. After years of hunting without protection, my first harness will be arriving today and I won’t climb up a tree stand again without one. 

I ordered two vests yesterday.  One for me and one for my nephew. 

• Like 2

Prayers sent. Unless his belt broke this was so avoidable. Every year this type thing happens. Please wear your safety harness and not after you get up there. Even with ladder type stands, HSS sells a lifeline. You can’t fall using it properly. 
Never climb even part way up without it. Not even to set stands. Your family needs you. 

• Like 1