Taking a bite out of a fresh raw heart?

Whereareyoubuck

I'm sure we all know the traditions of ancient hunters who take a bite out of the heart of their kill as soon as they gut them. Has anyone done this and survived? I've read a little about the parasites and dangers of this. I really want to do it but I'm pretty worried. 

Edited by Whereareyoubuck

15 minutes ago, Whereareyoubuck said:

Well I believe Native Americans did it as a way to honor their kill, and to pay respect to nature. 

some did not all some eat the liver to  raw  but not sure why you would do it unless you practice there religion. I'm sure its not going to taste  as good  that way . but go for it if you like just wash your hands and the heart first I would recommend . 

I was hunting caribou in NWT  with an Inuit guide, George Konana...

I shot  my first caribou, a nice bull...

While he was butchering the bull, he set the liver aside, and then punctured the bloated stomach...Caribou bloat almost immediately after they die... They just hit the ground an inflate...

He cut off a slice of the raw liver  dipped it in the stomach contents, and ate it, and licked his fingers afterwards...

George said " There is too much here for me, do you want some..??"

I said   " **** you, George ".....

• Like 3
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

While he was butchering the bull, he set the liver aside, and then punctured the bloated stomach...Caribou bloat almost immediately after they die... They just hit the ground an inflate...
He cut off a slice of the raw liver  dipped it in the stomach contents, and ate it, and licked his fingers afterwards...

The mountain men loved that, I'd have had to try it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Confused 1

No need to block out that word...You can say “ Thank” on this forum . HOw was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

22 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

And he’s still alive?

10 minutes ago, Whereareyoubuck said:

And he’s still alive?

I hunted with George in 1994...A year or two later he appeared in National Geographic magazine  dressed in  his native sealskin  duds...  

I have not heard of him since then, but there is a good chance he is still alive unless he got eaten by a polar bear or something...

He lived in a village called Gjoa Haven up near the Arctic ocean...I was hunting Little Marten Lake in NWT about 50 miles south of the Arctic Circle...He and his fellow guides had to fly SOUTH several hundred miles to work as guides at the camp I was hunting at...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pygmy said:

He lived in a village called Gjoa Haven up near the Arctic ocean...I was hunting Little Marten Lake in NWT about 50 miles south of the Arctic Circle...He and his fellow guides had to fly SOUTH several hundred miles to work as guides at the camp I was hunting at...

Wondering if George had to bring shorts as hunting gear hunting in the hot southern tropical climate . LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SportsmanNH said:

Wondering if George had to bring shorts as hunting gear hunting in the hot southern tropical climate . LOL

Actually, George did tell me that he didn't like it in Yellowknife, NWT  because it was too hot..... 

He  said that he was one of the few  residents of Gjoa Haven who  "worked" meaning hunted and fished, since most Canadian natives are wards of the Canadian government...

He liked that, because he got to fill most of the polar bear tags awarded to that community...He told stories of hunting for days  out on the snow covered tundra,  using snow machines and living in igloos that they built on the spot..

He said that  most of the meat he ate while hunting was sliced thin and eaten raw...To cook meat was a waste of precious fuel , which could be used for more important  things like brewing tea...

• Like 4

I'm sure we all know the traditions of ancient hunters who take a bite out of the heart of their kill as soon as they gut them. Has anyone done this and survived? I've read a little about the parasites and dangers of this. I really want to do it but I'm pretty worried. 
I have for my first deer. Tasted disgusting almost puked but held it down. Lived to tell the tale

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 2

18 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

I have for my first deer. Tasted disgusting almost puked but held it down. Lived to tell the tale

#WeDemandADislikeButton

I know the chances of getting sick are very low...but if you do get sick it's really serious...

• Like 1

I know the chances of getting sick are very low...but if you do get sick it's really serious...
My bite was literally the size of a thumbnail. It was really tough and not very tasty. It was my first ever deer so had to be done

#WeDemandADislikeButton

My bite was literally the size of a thumbnail. It was really tough and not very tasty. It was my first ever deer so had to be done

#WeDemandADislikeButton

So a dainty nibble honored your first deer and your warrior spirit...ATTA BOY!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1