It's depressing out there

Water Rat

I spent a few hours scouting my deer hunting areas and I literally could not find a single deer track anywhere. Th EHD outbreak is serious in the lower Dutchess county. I could even smell the dead deer coming from the neighboring properties. I hope the hunters reevaluate using their doe permits in the effected areas this year. Shouldn't Team #1 get  handicap (lol)?

IMG_7114.thumb.JPG.535ac6f1a1b5efb31b9966c729cadec7.JPGIMG_7118.thumb.JPG.b12112202ec9037735e0f36e7f410f51.JPGIMG_7120.thumb.JPG.b1736cf5dcc593b75f66ffb3bdc069f3.JPGIMG_7132.thumb.JPG.3d7b0be494aadc9eebed4a45374839ea.JPG

IMG_7119.JPG

• Sad 6

19 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

So do the coyote get it too after eating a deer that dies due to EHD?

From my time studying biology in college, EHD and many hemorrhagic diseases can only be transmitted across ruminants or hoofed animals. EHD is interesting because it is spread by the bite of Culicoide gnats, not bodily fluids like AHD or CWD. Humans, although I do not advise or suggest, can technically eat the meat and not be infected. Very interesting if it is EHD as the gnats won't be able to survive the cooler temps and will hopefully die, hence reducing the transmission rate among the herds. 

• Like 1

From my time studying biology in college, EHD and many hemorrhagic diseases can only be transmitted across ruminants or hoofed animals. EHD is interesting because it is spread by the bite of Culicoide gnats, not bodily fluids like AHD or CWD. Humans, although I do not advise or suggest, can technically eat the meat and not be infected. Very interesting if it is EHD as the gnats won't be able to survive the cooler temps and will hopefully die, hence reducing the transmission rate among the herds. 

Good Info from a biology major- thank for sharing.
What about future impact and spread of EHD? How do these gnats arrive? Or spread? Is there no treatment- spray drying up ponds (I’m sure the negative impact outweighs the benefit.
I heard some herds develop some immunity- how so? Younger stronger deer get infected but don’t die and then pass along the immunity?
Thanks again for the knowledge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk