What do I need to get Started

Dave

To all you muzzle loaders, I have a Thompson 50 cal percussion Hawkins, it has a double trigger. Bought in the 1970's, never been fired. What gear do I need to get started? After listening to all the fun and success stories I feel it's time to fire up my Hawkins. Any info would be appreciated.

Dave

Dave,

Using a smoke pole can be addicting. They're sooooo much fun! It's a lot like archery in that there's always something new or different to try out. I've got a .54 Renegade of the same age.

First, go to T/C's website and get an owners manual. It's free,and very thorough and informative. Next, try and find another MZ shooter as a mentor. One of the 'starter' kits that are available will have some of the basic things you'll need. Don't get one with sabots or conical bullets. They're for the new fast twist rifles.

Stay away from the pellet powders, they're also for in-line primed rifles.

I'm out in Suffolk, maybe we could meet on a decent day and make some smoke!

Dave,

Using a smoke pole can be addicting. They're sooooo much fun! It's a lot like archery in that there's always something new or different to try out. I've got a .54 Renegade of the same age.

First, go to T/C's website and get an owners manual. It's free,and very thorough and informative. Next, try and find another MZ shooter as a mentor. One of the 'starter' kits that are available will have some of the basic things you'll need. Don't get one with sabots or conical bullets. They're for the new fast twist rifles.

Stay away from the pellet powders, they're also for in-line primed rifles.

I'm out in Suffolk, maybe we could meet on a decent day and make some smoke!

Fritzy I am in Nassau, when I get things set up I will PM you and see how these Muzzle loaders work.

Dave

Sounds good. I don't know if the indoor Nassau range allows muzzleloaders but would cost me $20 an hour to shoot there! It would be $7 per hour for a Nassau resident. If you can make the hike, Calverton is $15 for about as long as you want to stay. Brookhaven is another option but I'm not sure what the non resident fee is.

After the hunting season would be best with fewer people at the range.

Sounds good. I don't know if the indoor Nassau range allows muzzleloaders but would cost me $20 an hour to shoot there! It would be $7 per hour for a Nassau resident. If you can make the hike, Calverton is $15 for about as long as you want to stay. Brookhaven is another option but I'm not sure what the non resident fee is.

After the hunting season would be best with fewer people at the range.

Sounds good to me.