Is not seeing deer normal Hunting Long Island

chacha

Just went on my first public land deer at Rocky point Long Island today. Sat in the woods for 10 hours straight (8:20am-6:20pm), but did NOT see a single deer. Is this normal? Or is there something wrong with my hunting strategy? I hunt from the ground (simply sitting by a tree). I used a call that makes fawn bleats; no deer came but did manage to lure a fox into bow range (but fox season's November on LI). Please help out a newbie; any tips would be much appreciated!

It certainly can happen. Hunting from the ground is much harder than hunting from a tree as deer pick up movement so much easier. The best way to set up on the ground is in some cover like a blowdown or somethkng to help break up your outline. Also set up so you are not tempted to keep turning your head to look behind you,that movement is enough for deer to see. 

Playing the wind is also more important on the ground. 

where you set up is a big thing too. Generally deer are either looking for food or cover. Identifying those will help you make a plan with the wind in mind.

Deer hunting takes some time to learn,and even then you may not have success. Try to learn somethandng everytime you are out and keep at it and you will get better. There are tons of podcasts to listen to or shows to watch on YouTube.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

It certainly can happen. Hunting from the ground is much harder than hunting from a tree as deer pick up movement so much easier. The best way to set up on the ground is in some cover like a blowdown or somethkng to help break up your outline. Also set up so you are not tempted to keep turning your head to look behind you,that movement is enough for deer to see. 

Playing the wind is also more important on the ground. 

where you set up is a big thing too. Generally deer are either looking for food or cover. Identifying those will help you make a plan with the wind in mind.

Deer hunting takes some time to learn,and even then you may not have success. Try to learn somethandng everytime you are out and keep at it and you will get better. There are tons of podcasts to listen to or shows to watch on YouTube.

Yeah, I set up with a huge brush behind the tree I was sitting. The wind was constantly blowing from my left to right..maybe all the deers were to my right idk..Thanks for the tips!

• Like 1

Although I've already saw a few postings of a few beasts taken here on LI, Temperatures are still in the mid 60"s here and I don't think there's a lot of movement yet. I generally wait till late October to hunt LI due to the ticks and chiggers which are deadly on the island. Put in the time, you'll see them.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ANTLERS said:

Although I've already saw a few postings of a few beasts taken here on LI, Temperatures are still in the mid 60"s here and I don't think there's a lot of movement yet. I generally wait till late October to hunt LI due to the ticks and chiggers which are deadly on the island. Put in the time, you'll see them.

Ok, thanks, will go again later in the month then.

You're also entering and leaving your hunting spot at times that most hunters consider to be the best times to be in the woods.

Usually most deer activity is the first couple hours after sunrise and the last hour or two before sunset. That last hour is the magic hour lol.

Good luck

5 minutes ago, Red said:

You're also entering and leaving your hunting spot at times that most hunters consider to be the best times to be in the woods.

Usually most deer activity is the first couple hours after sunrise and the last hour or two before sunset. That last hour is the magic hour lol.

Good luck

Yeah ikr, but have to leave before sun set according to ny rules (which is 6:26). And can't get there before 8:20-30am for personal reasons.....you think I should just skip the morning and go in the afternoon in the future?

@chacha I know of a lot of people who seen little to no deer activity on LI with this full moon.  Doesn’t help that guys been pounding spots the last few weeks setting ladder stands and cams. If you’re a Suffolk resident I’d look into the county properties 

11 hours ago, chacha said:

Just went on my first public land deer at Rocky point Long Island today. Sat in the woods for 10 hours straight (8:20am-6:20pm), but did NOT see a single deer. Is this normal? Or is there something wrong with my hunting strategy? I hunt from the ground (simply sitting by a tree). I used a call that makes fawn bleats; no deer came but did manage to lure a fox into bow range (but fox season's November on LI). Please help out a newbie; any tips would be much appreciated!

I would try to get in stand earlier. Did you happen to scout it at all in the off season? I dont really call much especially early in the season. I would hunt until last minute legally.  Morning spots aND evening spots tend to be different. This forum has tons of insight

On that set up, from the ground, you could have turned to your left, so the wind was in your face. And got between that tree and the bush behind it for more cover. Always remember, wind in your face! And don't bother calling! Let them come to you naturally. Without alerting them to your presence.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bruno1 said:

@chacha I know of a lot of people who seen little to no deer activity on LI with this full moon.  Doesn’t help that guys been pounding spots the last few weeks setting ladder stands and cams. If you’re a Suffolk resident I’d look into the county properties 

Nah, not a Suffolk resident...so probably will have to come later in the season and hope persistence pays off....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

I would try to get in stand earlier. Did you happen to scout it at all in the off season? I dont really call much especially early in the season. I would hunt until last minute legally.  Morning spots aND evening spots tend to be different. This forum has tons of insight

Wasn't able to scout in the off season. So was hunting blind with only some scouting on google map. Yeah, I'll have to spend more time in the woods.

3 minutes ago, grampy said:

On that set up, from the ground, you could have turned to your left, so the wind was in your face. And got between that tree and the bush behind it for more cover. Always remember, wind in your face! And don't bother calling! Let them come to you naturally. Without alerting them to your presence.

Ah ok, got you, thanks.

Hunt PMs, given your inability to hunt early AM. Get in early and walk slowly looking for fresh deer sign or deer, preferably into the wind. Choose a spot 20 yds downwind of the fresh sign with cover, or build a brush blind with fallen branches. Clear leaves and brush around your feet. A bucket or chair or log to sit on will help you sit high enough to see and draw the bow with minimum movement. Think positive. This is bow hunting and even though there are lots of deer on LI, you still have to be in the right place at the right time, which are fairly long odds. Put in the time and it will happen. GL.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cdbing said:

Hunt PMs, given your inability to hunt early AM. Get in early and walk slowly looking for fresh deer sign or deer, preferably into the wind. Choose a spot 20 yds downwind of the fresh sign with cover, or build a brush blind with fallen branches. Clear leaves and brush around your feet. A bucket or chair or log to sit on will help you sit high enough to see and draw the bow with minimum movement. Think positive. This is bow hunting and even though there are lots of deer on LI, you still have to be in the right place at the right time, which are fairly long odds. Put in the time and it will happen. GL.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Thank you for the tips!

It aint like shopping. Certainly there are areas where it is unusual to go a few hours without seeing deer, and two different guys in the same spot will have very different results. Getting off the ground can have a huge impact. Our success rate once we went to tree stands escalated greatly. At this point, learning patience is probably the best thing you can do, regardless. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

It aint like shopping. Certainly there are areas where it is unusual to go a few hours without seeing deer, and two different guys in the same spot will have very different results. Getting off the ground can have a huge impact. Our success rate once we went to tree stands escalated greatly. At this point, learning patience is probably the best thing you can do, regardless. 

Thanks! Seems like I'll just have to be persistent...

I would find some milk weed and dry it out and use that to check your wind.  I've used it for 3 years and you'll be surprised how the wind actually moves through the woods.  I had deer under 12 yards this morning and wind blowing what I thought was at them dropped some milk weed and it went about 3 yards out and sucked right into the stream next to me.  Checked after they left.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

I would find some milk weed and dry it out and use that to check your wind.  I've used it for 3 years and you'll be surprised how the wind actually moves through the woods.  I had deer under 12 yards this morning and wind blowing what I thought was at them dropped some milk weed and it went about 3 yards out and sucked right into the stream next to me.  Checked after they left.

Thanks for the tip~

The only time I ever got a bow shot on a deer from the ground was my first ever time hunting. It wasn't entirely dumb luck, but it was 95% luck. I tried many times after that and spooked many deer. Never got a shot.

Following the advice of people who actually harvest deer a lot I bought a climbing tree stand that first year and my shot opportunities went up by magnitudes. It's natural as a beginner to maybe avoid trying too much at once, but truly hunting deer from the ground with a bow is an advanced skill. You would be surprised how much even 15' up a tree makes a difference. I've had countless deer look up at me and if I stop moving they just shrug it off.

That first season I went out over 20 times before I got a deer. I worked hard at it, but it was also the most satisfying one I ever got. Keep at it :)

Also if you're on public land you can sometimes go multiple hunts without seeing a deer. Then you come into the forum and people on private land are seeing multiple deer in a single two hour sit. The hard to find deer on public land are a huge accomplishment, even if it's a modest size doe.

Edited by Core

14 minutes ago, Core said:

The only time I ever got a bow shot on a deer from the ground was my first ever time hunting. It wasn't entirely dumb luck, but it was 95% luck. I tried many times after that and spooked many deer. Never got a shot.

Following the advice of people who actually harvest deer a lot I bought a climbing tree stand that first year and my shot opportunities went up by magnitudes. It's natural as a beginner to maybe avoid trying too much at once, but truly hunting deer from the ground with a bow is an advanced skill. You would be surprised how much even 15' up a tree makes a difference. I've had countless deer look up at me and if I stop moving they just shrug it off.

That first season I went out over 20 times before I got a deer. I worked hard at it, but it was also the most satisfying one I ever got. Keep at it :)

Also if you're on public land you can sometimes go multiple hunts without seeing a deer. Then you come into the forum and people on private land are seeing multiple deer in a single two hour sit. The hard to find deer on public land are a huge accomplishment, even if it's a modest size doe.

Wow that sounds TOUGH. But for now, I have to hunt from the ground...So will have to just come out more often. Btw, on a side note, are there any game around that's easier to hunt with a bow? I probably can't hit a squirrel tho...

2 minutes ago, chacha said:

Wow that sounds TOUGH. But for now, I have to hunt from the ground...So will have to just come out more often. Btw, on a side note, are there any game around that's easier to hunt with a bow? I probably can't hit a squirrel tho...

Snaro Screw-In Bird Point  will give you a better shot at small game  .

Yeah ikr, but have to leave before sun set according to ny rules (which is 6:26). And can't get there before 8:20-30am for personal reasons.....you think I should just skip the morning and go in the afternoon in the future?

You don’t have to leave before just don’t shoot after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1