Is not seeing deer normal Hunting Long Island

chacha

Wow that sounds TOUGH. But for now, I have to hunt from the ground...So will have to just come out more often. Btw, on a side note, are there any game around that's easier to hunt with a bow? I probably can't hit a squirrel tho...

I have a climber someone gave me that I never use as i already have one... you want it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, phantom said:

Snaro Screw-In Bird Point  will give you a better shot at small game  .

Hmmm I did a quick search, they all seem to be around 200-300 grain. But I've always been shoot a 100 grain tip, so would the ballistics be vastly different? Also, would they have enough power to kill a squirrel?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chef said:

I have a climber someone gave me that I never use as i already have one... you want it ?

The thing is I don't actually have a car; been hunting using a rented vehicle. So it's hard carrying a stand everywhere. Thanks for the offer tho.

The thing is I don't actually have a car; been hunting using a rented vehicle. So it's hard carrying a stand everywhere. Thanks for the offer tho.

Sorry man yea that I don’t have a extra one of

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, chacha said:

Invest in a pop up blind. They’re cheap and portable. They work best when brushed in. You’ll be able to get away with a bit more if you’ll be staying on the ground. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chacha said:

Hmmm I did a quick search, they all seem to be around 200-300 grain. But I've always been shoot a 100 grain tip, so would the ballistics be vastly different? Also, would they have enough power to kill a squirrel?

aim for the head and practice first  to see where you arrows are going to hit there more for birds but a good shot will kill a  squirrel  from one of them .

Edited by phantom
  • Like 1

Like others have said I would find a way to get up in a tree stand. Or at least use a ground blind or a homemade blind with burlap. Hunting deer from the ground is extremely difficult especially for someone just starting out. If you use a blind make sure to brush it in with natural cover, deer will notice it. Definitely watch the wind and don’t ever be upwind of a place you expect deer to be. This includes your walk into the woods. Best of luck!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LICOASTIE said:

Like others have said I would find a way to get up in a tree stand. Or at least use a ground blind or a homemade blind with burlap. Hunting deer from the ground is extremely difficult especially for someone just starting out. If you use a blind make sure to brush it in with natural cover, deer will notice it. Definitely watch the wind and don’t ever be upwind of a place you expect deer to be. This includes your walk into the woods. Best of luck!

Thank you for the tips!

• Like 1

You plan on deer hunting LI from the ground using a rented car? Wow.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

It's tough on Long Island. There is so much brush and the deer don't move that much. At gun season I have walked 5-8 miles in a day jumping many deer. Guys on Long Island don't like to share much info. They call it spot burning. Stick to it and learn the area. Where in Rocky Point? 

2 minutes ago, First-light said:

It's tough on Long Island. There is so much brush and the deer don't move that much. At gun season I have walked 5-8 miles in a day jumping many deer. Guys on Long Island don't like to share much info. They call it spot burning. Stick to it and learn the area. Where in Rocky Point? 

I hunted around the 42 area. But is there any other places near NYC beside long island worth checking out?

Hey Chacha,

Sounds like you are in a similar situation as me (I'm in Queens and don't own a car right now). I've done the rented car thing too.  I was at Otis Pike Preserve for a couple sits this weekend and got to see a few deer but didn't get a chance at a legit shot yet.  I also use apps to scout as best as possible too. If you have an app like On-X (there are others) mark any signs you see.... prints, poop, rubs etc etc. Doing that has helped me make better guesses at where to setup (considering the wind) to the point where I'm seeing deer on public usually every time. Now I'm trying to hone that into getting them in range.  Not owning a car is a big disadvantage (especially in Suffolk ) but it too can been overcome.

good luck this season.

-Chris W

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisW74 said:

Hey Chacha,

Sounds like you are in a similar situation as me (I'm in Queens and don't own a car right now). I've done the rented car thing too.  I was at Otis Pike Preserve for a couple sits this weekend and got to see a few deer but didn't get a chance at a legit shot yet.  I also use apps to scout as best as possible too. If you have an app like On-X (there are others) mark any signs you see.... prints, poop, rubs etc etc. Doing that has helped me make better guesses at where to setup (considering the wind) to the point where I'm seeing deer on public usually every time. Now I'm trying to hone that into getting them in range.  Not owning a car is a big disadvantage (especially in Suffolk ) but it too can been overcome.

good luck this season.

-Chris W

Wow glad to hear that there is someone doing the same thing as I am. Do you use a ground blind tho?

11 hours ago, chacha said:

Wow glad to hear that there is someone doing the same thing as I am. Do you use a ground blind tho?

sometimes I do ground blind but most times I end up still hunting in the morning and use a saddle in the afternoon. Especially if its a new or newer area for me. (Saddle, DRT w/ foot loop climbing method) Lowest weight & safest (for me) to get up off the ground. see "NY Saddle Hunter" on youtube if you are not familiar with DRT w/ foot loop.  I started in 2019. I've recently chatted with a couple people on here that live close. But are the first I've seen that is in a similar situation. Obviously almost everyone here has a lot more experience then I have but if any ways I can help, let me know.(or if you want to split a rental haha) 

11 minutes ago, ChrisW74 said:

sometimes I do ground blind but most times I end up still hunting in the morning and use a saddle in the afternoon. Especially if its a new or newer area for me. (Saddle, DRT w/ foot loop climbing method) Lowest weight & safest (for me) to get up off the ground. see "NY Saddle Hunter" on youtube if you are not familiar with DRT w/ foot loop.  I started in 2019. I've recently chatted with a couple people on here that live close. But are the first I've seen that is in a similar situation. Obviously almost everyone here has a lot more experience then I have but if any ways I can help, let me know.(or if you want to split a rental haha) 

Hmm just searched up the saddle method; yeah I don't trust myself with ropes much. Probably just gonna stick to a pop-up blind this season; could give the saddle a go next season tho. With that said, do you know anything abt small game hunting spots tho? (in case I never see a deer hahaha)

• Like 1

Hello Cha cha, I was out on opening day a few miles from you. On opening day I was in a stand at 5:30 didn't see @#$% went out for lunch and back sitting by 1. I saw 4 doe at 35 yards at 4:55. It was a long day. Keep in mind it was over 75 Thursday. So they don't move also it's a full moon right now which doesn't help. They can feed all night and rest all day. And they do. On Saturday I went out at 1:30 and at 5:30 2 doe and a 4 point came out at about 40 yards. Point is this keep going out and read the woods. Look for trails, rubs scapes and oak trees over there. They are dropping like rain. Next start looking for thickest stuff you can find. That's bedding areas. You be amazed how these critters can run through this without caught or tangled. Stay between food and bedding this time of the season. In 2 weeks the moon will be gone so you will see more day movements too. Plus it should be cooler so that helps. Also watch for those ticks. They are brutal I know I'm cover in tick larvae lumps. And I spray me and everything. A shot will happen, every time you go out in the woods you will learn and see new things. Its calling hunting and not shooting for a reason. GL

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Engineer said:

Hello Cha cha, I was out on opening day a few miles from you. On opening day I was in a stand at 5:30 didn't see @#$% went out for lunch and back sitting by 1. I saw 4 doe at 35 yards at 4:55. It was a long day. Keep in mind it was over 75 Thursday. So they don't move also it's a full moon right now which doesn't help. They can feed all night and rest all day. And they do. On Saturday I went out at 1:30 and at 5:30 2 doe and a 4 point came out at about 40 yards. Point is this keep going out and read the woods. Look for trails, rubs scapes and oak trees over there. They are dropping like rain. Next start looking for thickest stuff you can find. That's bedding areas. You be amazed how these critters can run through this without caught or tangled. Stay between food and bedding this time of the season. In 2 weeks the moon will be gone so you will see more day movements too. Plus it should be cooler so that helps. Also watch for those ticks. They are brutal I know I'm cover in tick larvae lumps. And I spray me and everything. A shot will happen, every time you go out in the woods you will learn and see new things. Its calling hunting and not shooting for a reason. GL

Ahh, thank you for the tips. Btw would you by any chance recommend hunting near a water source tho?

On 10/5/2020 at 8:53 AM, chacha said:

Queens guy here too, I got a car if you ever wanna talk about linking up. I could def use some hunting buddies as I have literally 1 friend that hunts and he doesn't do it often.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, beeflomein said:

Queens guy here too, I got a car if you ever wanna talk about linking up. I could def use some hunting buddies as I have literally 1 friend that hunts and he doesn't do it often.

Yeet good idea I think. We can exchange some contact through pm if you want. Oh, and there's the other guy who's doing something similar too @ChrisW74, let's link up.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...