Is not seeing deer normal Hunting Long Island

chacha

Just be aware, reservations are now needed to hunt Rocky Point and Otis. See below from the DEC website.

"From November 1 through December 31, all hunting on Rocky Point (except spot numbers 7A, 25 & 33A) and parts of Otis Pike (parking spot numbers 1 through 12, 14 and 15, 17 through 22, 36, 37, 39, 40, 44, 45, 48, 49, 50, 52, 53, 54, and 55) is by daily access permit only. Daily access permits can be obtained at the Ridge Hunter Check Station. Daily access permits are not issued to hunters after 2:30 p.m."

13 minutes ago, Spear said:

Just be aware, reservations are now needed to hunt Rocky Point and Otis. See below from the DEC website.

"From November 1 through December 31, all hunting on Rocky Point (except spot numbers 7A, 25 & 33A) and parts of Otis Pike (parking spot numbers 1 through 12, 14 and 15, 17 through 22, 36, 37, 39, 40, 44, 45, 48, 49, 50, 52, 53, 54, and 55) is by daily access permit only. Daily access permits can be obtained at the Ridge Hunter Check Station. Daily access permits are not issued to hunters after 2:30 p.m."

But brookhaven state park doesn't need reservation? Meaning i can just go there...? There are not many places to hunt in long island and reservation on top of it.. smh

I believe you are correct about Brookhaven State Park..I would double check. If you are a Suffolk resident, you can get the Suffolk County Park pass and hunt county park land - there's no reservation system for county parks. Also, the spots in Otis that are south of the LIE you don't need to reserve. If you don't have a 4x4, it can get tough back there somtimes.

• 11 months later...
On 11/2/2020 at 7:19 PM, Longislander_ said:

But brookhaven state park doesn't need reservation? Meaning i can just go there...? There are not many places to hunt in long island and reservation on top of it.. smh

Correct - Brookhaven State Park does not need any reservations, but you do need to bring any harvest back in to the ridge hunter check station during hunting hours and abide by hunting hours. Harvest includes deer and turkey.  But you do need to have your DEC land management access permit and parking permit displayed on your dashboard (parking permit only since it doesn't have more personal information than your name and birthday) and on your person as well.