Need guidance and a butcher

First Time Hunter's

I am starting hunting for the first time ever this year. My middle boy want's to hunt also, so we are now taking it up. Just need some help as to what some veteran hunters could teach me. We both took the hunting course and are licensed, but that only helps you a little bit. We are near Latham so we are also going to need a butcher to help us with the meat. Can somebody give me the name of one near me?

Edited by First Time Hunter's

I still use a processer ,mostly because i want my meat to be done like a butcher would do it . Most guys just cut chunks of meat off and either eat those or grind it up . Until i get some actual lessons from an actual butcher ill keep taking it somewhere. 

• Like 2

Hockey is right, it really isn't that difficult to process your own, it just seems daunting if you've never done it. Most cuts are quite basic. Separate muscle groups, cut across the grain of the meat. Odds and ends pieces go to grind. Or grind the whole deer if that's your thing! I can't begin to tell you how much money I've saved doing my own, thousands! And it's a labor of love for me, brings the hunt full circle.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 11

Doing your own is really easy. That being said, this is the first year I’ll be taking mine to a processor. I just don’t have the facilities to do it right now. Honestly, I’m much more stressed about taking it to someone than I ever was doing it myself. 

meat eater show did a special too on breaking down a whole deer.  I never minded doing the butcher part but i hate skinning them.  its a pita.  But if your not setup to do it and its season i would look for a processor too.  I take mine to a processor sometimes when i just dont have time or ive already done a couple just cause its great to just drop it off and come back in few days and pick it all up. Plus there is a really good one at Marsh mill in bridgeport near me- they do a great job and for $100 sometimes its just worth it.  Hope you find one but if you get a deer and have no choice this year - i guess its a good time to learn how.  

When starting out, it seems like there is alot to pull together for deer hunting, and you are on top of  it to be planning ahead. Alot of folks just arent set up for location/space/ equipment for butchering, and that can come in time if so wanted. If I am correct, Latham is down near Albany, sorry I dont know of any meat processers that direction. 

Check out Craigslist and your local papers under services, or look online for butchers/deer processing near you. You can also call local gunshops/ gun clubs and see if they can forward you. Joining a gun club brings alot of benefits: someplace to shoot regularly and safely, meeting other like minded folks, networking, etc. 

Good luck and have a safe fun season.

I want to complete the job by self-butchering, but that's not going to happen at our home. I have a guy that will process and if I harvest a deer, maybe he will allow me to do the skinning/cutting up, just to give me the experience of the process. 

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

meat eater show did a special too on breaking down a whole deer.  I never minded doing the butcher part but i hate skinning them.  its a pita.  But if your not setup to do it and its season i would look for a processor too.  I take mine to a processor sometimes when i just dont have time or ive already done a couple just cause its great to just drop it off and come back in few days and pick it all up. Plus there is a really good one at Marsh mill in bridgeport near me- they do a great job and for $100 sometimes its just worth it.  Hope you find one but if you get a deer and have no choice this year - i guess its a good time to learn how.  

Rob, do you know the name of the guy in Bridgport ? I took mine to a place in Jamesville last season and while they did a good job, it was a little pricey. 

1 minute ago, cachemoney said:

Rob, do you know the name of the guy in Bridgport ? I took mine to a place in Jamesville last season and while they did a good job, it was a little pricey. 

here is the Website - Guys Name is Ed - real nice guy and they are very professional and clean.  http://www.marshmillranch.com/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

here is the Website - Guys Name is Ed - real nice guy and they are very professional and clean.  http://www.marshmillranch.com/

I use Ed as well. It is pricey but the place is clean, organized and neat. Bigger than most grocery store butcher shops lol. I don't worry about my deer taken there being mine and done right.

For the beginner look to make sure to get good reviews from people you trust. There are a LOT of hack butchers out there. A good one is golden. Like a lot of the guys here it is not hard to butcher a deer if you have the space and proper equipment. I suggest every hunter should do it a couple times. But if you are not up for it find a good butcher and use him.

Myself I do not want to spend the time butchering a half dozen deer a year. I do not have the good spot yet do it and honestly my hourly rate is higher than paying the butcher lol.

Edited by Fletch

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I use Ed as well. It is pricey but the place is clean, organized and neat. Bigger than most grocery store butcher shops lol. I don't worry about my deer taken there being mine and done right.

and i like when you go there the deer goes right into that huge cooler!  And thanks to you cause you told me get some hotdogs made there and they were good!  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

and i like when you go there the deer goes right into that huge cooler!  And thanks to you cause you told me get some hotdogs made there and they were good!  

One thing on opener of gun they will stack em up outside for a while so if you don't get in early and it is not freezing out keep that in mind. I don't think they sit long but it is what it is. I just put in my cooler at home and bring em a couple days later.

I typed out a whole long thing and then the forum erased it, so hear are cliff notes. I'd also suggest you take a look at doing it yourself. The importance of field to table and the whole process is a good one for the next generation. A grinder and knife set gets you started for cheap and then you can build on it and advance in efficiency with vac sealers, electronic hoists etc. Nothing wrong with using a processor, my family and I still do from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2UsVd9d8vI

The only problem I have is space. I don't have the space where I live to do it myself. I live in a 2 family house, with a shared yard with another property. I would probably have the cops called on me if I did it in my yard. I don't mind doing the field dressing, nor learning to process it. It would be something great for my son's to learn also. Since my youngest wants to hu , but he can't because of his age.

18 minutes ago, First Time Hunter's said:

The only problem I have is space. I don't have the space where I live to do it myself. I live in a 2 family house, with a shared yard with another property. I would probably have the cops called on me if I did it in my yard. I don't mind doing the field dressing, nor learning to process it. It would be something great for my son's to learn also. Since my youngest wants to hu , but he can't because of his age.

There was or is a member here who does them in his bath tub.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, First Time Hunter's said:

that's fair, although there is nothing illegal about it. Weather permitting the trailer hitch hoist is a good option for those without space. I get it though and it's good that you're planning now and not waiting until you have a dead deer!

• Like 1