Buck Only Tag for Regular Seson

Splitear

Please tell me if I'm wrong, but from what I'm reading, when I ordered my license, I was provided with a Regular Season tag for Antlered Deer Only (little antlered silhouette in the corner). Is this right? If so, how does one go about getting antlerless or either sex tags for gun season. 

Forgive the dumb question, but I'm learning my way around the New York permits and laws. It's not a huge deal, a doe with a bow and hopefully muzzleloader will set me up pretty good. However, this seems like a weird way to manage a deer population. In Illinois, you could buy doe tags all day long, but were limited to 2 bucks total for the whole year, and permits were issued as either sex tags when applied for.

Unless you purchase a bow/ML privilege, your only option for a regular season doe tag is a DMP - costs 10 bucks and you can get 0 to 4 depending on the WMU.  Check the DEC website for probability of obtaining one in your hunting WMU.

Just realized you got the have bow/ML, so I assume you used the anterless on your doe.   That leaves an either/or for those seasons and a buck tag for regular season.  You can still apply for DMPs.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Unless you purchase a bow/ML privilege, your only option for a regular season doe tag is a DMP - costs 10 bucks and you can get 0 to 4 depending on the WMU.  Check the DEC website for probability of obtaining one in your hunting WMU.

Just realized you got the have bow/ML, so I assume you used the anterless on your doe.   That leaves an either/or for those seasons and a buck tag for regular season.  You can still apply for DMPs.

Okay, that's how I was making sense of it. I don't think I'll mess with a DMP since I don't really need the extra meat, but thanks for the helpful response. 

1 minute ago, Splitear said:

Okay, that's how I was making sense of it. I don't think I'll mess with a DMP since I don't really need the extra meat, but thanks for the helpful response. 

No Problem - I typically get all that I qualify for but rarely use all 7.

BOW/ML - antlerless and either sex

Open season - buck

DMP - 4 antlerless used in any season

The DMPs are WMU specific while others are statewide.   So I will typically use a DMP on does before the bow/ML antlerless as I can use that anywhere during bow and ML.

I believe DMP's are closed right now but reopen November 1st. for a second round. 

That is correct. At least as far as if you already have DMPs and are looking for bonus ones

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes

#WeDemandADislikeButton

7 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

That is correct. At least as far as if you already have DMPs and are looking for bonus ones

#WeDemandADislikeButton

So if you did not get them prior to them closing October 1st you are not eligible when they reopen November 1st?

So if you did not get them prior to them closing October 1st you are not eligible when they reopen November 1st?
Oh no not at all. November 1st they reopen for everyone. I was just saying that I know for a fact you can't currently get any bonus DMPs if available in your selected region. November 1st they are up for sale again

#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Splitear said:

Please tell me if I'm wrong, but from what I'm reading, when I ordered my license, I was provided with a Regular Season tag for Antlered Deer Only (little antlered silhouette in the corner). Is this right? If so, how does one go about getting antlerless or either sex tags for gun season. 

Forgive the dumb question, but I'm learning my way around the New York permits and laws. It's not a huge deal, a doe with a bow and hopefully muzzleloader will set me up pretty good. However, this seems like a weird way to manage a deer population. In Illinois, you could buy doe tags all day long, but were limited to 2 bucks total for the whole year, and permits were issued as either sex tags when applied for.

When you shot your doe did you put the antlerless bow/muzzleloader tag or either sex?  If you used you antlerless only tag you can still take a buck during bow season.  That's how I do it in my area because it's hard to get a dmp for my main hunting area.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

When you shot your doe did you put the antlerless bow/muzzleloader tag or either sex?  If you used you antlerless only tag you can still take a buck during bow season.  That's how I do it in my area because it's hard to get a dmp for my main hunting area.

I used my either sex tag, which in retrospect wasn’t best.  Oh well, I’ll know better next time. I’ve got plenty for now, and I can see what gun/muzzleloader seasons bring. Very good to know that if I need more meat in the freezer I can transition an empty gun tag to either sex for ML season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Splitear said:

I used my either sex tag, which in retrospect wasn’t best.  Oh well, I’ll know better next time. I’ve got plenty for now, and I can see what gun/muzzleloader seasons bring. Very good to know that if I need more meat in the freezer I can transition an empty gun tag to either sex for ML season. 

I did that one bow season when I finished field dressing a doe right before dark without a light.  Next morning I discovered my mistake!  I called a DEC office and explained my mistake, got no sympathy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Splitear said:

During muzzleloader you can use the reg season buck tag as a doe tag aswell as the muzzleloader doe tag

• Like 1

I believe DMP's are closed right now but reopen November 1st. for a second round. 

They only re open for those that have already purchased.. can’t buy first DMP of the year on November 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better busy out the white out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk