Opinions on hanging treestands

josephmrtn

What do you guys consider an adequate strap to secure your treestand to the tree and trust yourself to stand on 20ft in the air? I've noticed many treestands being sold today have very small straps, I personally have almost always used straps rated for around 10,000 lbs on my treestands. It's overkill I know especially since I wear a harness but most of the straps rated in the 500-1000 lb range I have trouble believing that after sitting in a tree for several months in the weather they will be as strong.

What are your thoughts?

Screenshot_20201006-175248_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201006-175445_Chrome.jpg

Every stand I have up has more than one strap.  Even a good strong rated one can get chewed by squirrels and you won't know it til too late.  I have one where the stand is attached to the tree and one by the foot rail and another lower by the mid rail.  That being said stronger is always better.  And i replace at least one of them every season.  

• Like 1

500 to 750 lbs  is poundage I look for ,but more importantly is the uv resistance  most important if your leaving your stands up. Like ladders, Always remember  to loosen straps at end if season so tree has room to grow, it will pop a strap a lot easier when it stretched to the max from tree growth ,, suddenly your 1000 lbs rating only has 50 lbs left before it snaps. ..

• Like 1

Ladder stands are brand new every year.  For my hang on I use the strap it comes with and put 1000lb ratchet on it as well.  Ratchet kills 2 birds with 1 stone keeps my ass safe in the tree plus locks my sticks onto stand nice and solid to they don't bang around while walking.  But I also don't leave stands out all year and this year I picked up 3 stands that connect with chains and those also have ratchets on them.

Edited by Swamp_bucks
  • Like 1

I should note I also try to take down all my stands at the end of every season but I still like the heavy duty straps for security. Ive been known to sleep in the tree many times (wearing a harness of course) I definitely would not want to wake up hanging in my harness cause my stand failed.