Bait or attractants

courtguy2005

Can someone please tell me the difference between baiting and attractants and planting food plots. Don't they do the same thing, by bringing the game closer to where you want them....If I putout some corn or acorn rage how is that any different then the guy down the road planting 5 acres of corn and clover or beets...

Like Culver was saying , a food plot could be a 1/4 acre , 5 acres , etc .. Baiting is a pile of apples , corn , etc concentrated in one spot . If it was legal , I would prefer to hunt over a bait pile 20 yards from a stand rather than watch over a field . It would be a whole lot easier to draw a deer to a spot rather than a field .

Guys that bait try to tell us that they are the same thing which is BS ............

The guy planting food plots is doing something legal, and you dumping Acorn Rage is illegal, thats all that really matters in NY. Theres about 15 other copies of this conversation on the site, do we really need to go through it again?

Thats pretty much it in a nutshell.. one is legal the other isn't... other than that probably no diffence... except the amount of work that goes into one versus the other.

Thats pretty much it in a nutshell.. one is legal the other isn't... other than that probably no diffence... except the amount of work that goes into one versus the other.

I have to chime in here, there is a huge difference. Food plots do a lot more for the wildlife then dumping a pile corn, such as creating an amazing habitat for everything wild in the woods. When I'm not so tired, I'll explain further.

I think that when we start looking for logic and reasoning behind laws, we are often heading for a whole lot of frustration. There really doesn't have to be any universally accepted reasons for a law to become a law. Many of the laws haven't even been read by those that vote on them, never mind any meaningful debate before they are passed. Yes there are similarities between all the things that you have mentioned, but don't be looking for any sensible reasons why some are legal and others are not. There very well may not be any official reason at all. Baiting was made illegal, the details of what constitutes baiting most likely grew afterward in a not too logical fashion ...... so what else is new?

My take on it all is just accept the law as written (since that is the code that hunters are forced to abide by). Otherwise, begin a campaign to change it. That's your two choices.

As mentioned it falls back to bait concentrating deer in a very small spot and the danger for cwd. Scientists are showing that cwd is prion-based. Prions can live in the soil structure for years. Saliva contact is what the general deer biologists believe is the cause for cwd spread. hence...baiting a 1 sq. Foot area where multiple deer will eat (read exchange saliva) is a very dangerous proposition from a scientific pov. Think of it like a door handle on a the lone employee entrance at a large work building during winter. Lots of people touch that handle every single day and most multuple times. Then the touch their face, rub their eyes, or cough and then touch the door with their hand. Next thing you know, half of the workplace is talking about "the bug" that is going round....get my drfit.

As mentioned it falls back to bait concentrating deer in a very small spot and the danger for cwd. Scientists are showing that cwd is prion-based. Prions can live in the soil structure for years. Saliva contact is what the general deer biologists believe is the cause for cwd spread. hence...baiting a 1 sq. Foot area where multiple deer will eat (read exchange saliva) is a very dangerous proposition from a scientific pov. Think of it like a door handle on a the lone employee entrance at a large work building during winter. Lots of people touch that handle every single day and most multuple times. Then the touch their face, rub their eyes, or cough and then touch the door with their hand. Next thing you know, half of the workplace is talking about "the bug" that is going round....get my drfit.

Actually the baiting law preceeds the discovery of CWD in NYS. However the no-feeding law was a direct result of the CWD concerns. I believe that's the way it all went down.

• Like 1

Too bad NYS doesn't do test...a 2-5 acre food plot with cams and a 50# bag of corn with cams on a property 1/4 mile away....because I know they rarely visited my plots during shooting hours and my cams show them routinely hitting water troughs and food plots 10pm-2am and 7pm and 5am....13plots and it's the same on all of them

Now I don't bait but lets say I assume there are a couple around us that do....they seem to be getting some great deer on cams during the day and tag out early almost every year with no plots...who knows :rolleyes:;)

Wasn't the CWD found in deer that were confined in a fenced in area originally? Deer farms etc. Not form the wild. Have they stopped feeding deer in these deer farms? Have they shut any of them down because of CWD? Or is it still ok to feed deer in a confined area, where this CWD started but not in the wild? We know the answer to that, ban feeding deer in the wild. We should have closed all deer farms that would have solved the problem. Like Doc said the laws don't make a whole lot of sense but it's the law.

I totally understand and totally support the law on baiting, but must ask, how is BUCK LURE or other sexual attractants for deer different than baiting with a bucket of corn? (By the way, I don’t use either when hunting).

Because getting a deer to come to buck lure(assuming you mean doe urine) is not as easy as getting him to come to a pile of delicious apples.

Baiting takes 5 seconds to do. You come in, drop your load and start hunting.

Food plots take A LOT of work. Weeks/Months

Wasn't the CWD found in deer that were confined in a fenced in area originally? Deer farms etc. Not form the wild. Have they stopped feeding deer in these deer farms? Have they shut any of them down because of CWD? Or is it still ok to feed deer in a confined area, where this CWD started but not in the wild? We know the answer to that, ban feeding deer in the wild. We should have closed all deer farms that would have solved the problem. Like Doc said the laws don't make a whole lot of sense but it's the law.

Do you know way this is so very true?....Think about it...dairy...goat..pig farmers won't allow ppl into their enclosed stock areas ...especially those that visit other farms ...with out putting on sterile booties...yet ppl can routinely visit enclosed deer farms with absolutely no protection and leave that area to walk God knows where with the same shoes on...potentially spreading disease....

Now before this gets into a battle here....lets be honest or realistic...not every business ..what ever it may be or regulations it's under is always on the up and up...doing everything they are suppose to do in a timely manner nor without cutting corners

Diference between bait piles and food plots?.....None! The objective of both is to lure game to be shot/killed. If you hunt over a food plot...you are baiting. I will accept no arguments to the contrary.

Other than the legal definition?

So following your steadfast logic. Hunting around farm fields is no different than baiting too

Diference between bait piles and food plots?.....None! The objective of both is to lure game to be shot/killed. If you hunt over a food plot...you are baiting. I will accept no arguments to the contrary.

You obviously sit a bait pile. You make the same argument that every single hunter that only sits a bait pile makes.

There are several differences. A couple of them are the behavior conditioning that a bait pile does to a deer that a naturally growing food plot doesn't do. i.e. watch the hunting shows in TX and after the feeder spits the corn watch the deer come running.

Food plots provide 24 hour a day, 7 day a week feed for the life of the plot. Bait piles are feed in a limited supply and once it is gone it only returns when the baiter shows back up with that 5 gallon bucket of apples, corn, and carrots.

Other than the concept of providing feed to deer they aren't the same.

Better not be hunting near any tree's dropping acorns or anything growing in the woods either.

I think the point being made is both are used to attract deer so the hunter can shoot them. Both are a form of bait but one is legal and one is not. But you get the same result. Just like the bucket of apples or corn the food plot is only good while it lasts. If you don't replant the food plot every year the deer will go else where. Seems like his point is that both should be illegal whether you agree or not. If you aren't harvesting the food plot for your consumption it should be called what it is baiting just like a bucket of corn. Or maybe both should be legal. Just because it takes time and money to have a food plot doesn't mean it's not bating. Or else why would you bother to invest time and money? JMHO

• Like 1