Traditional archery questions

RsR_foto

Hey all, now that my shotgun is sorted out and I have money set aside for my bow I need some insight.

I plan on getting back into archery after a 15 year hiatus. I never hunted with a bow before and just need some pointers.

I'll be using a recurve takedown bow if that means anything to ya.

So that all being said, what spine arrows are a good place to start practicing with and then moving into the hunting aspect, what should I be looking at as far is arrow shafts and braodheads?

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Impossible to answer without knowing your draw length, weight at your draw length center shot of bow

Draw lenght is 28", weight at 28" is 45lbs. Unsure of center shot. That's a new term to me. I was a kid last time I used a bow so, for getting a lot.

There’s a lot more than a simple answer. As simple as the bows are there’s no answer like that. 
You do need to know if centershot as arrow needs to flex around riser If not. What type arrows? What type head. It matters. Lower draw weight need heavier arrows imo. How did you get 28” draw? Is that actual length on that bow? 
Should be noted tuning won’t work without proper form. You need that first

There’s a lot more than a simple answer. As simple as the bows are there’s no answer like that. 
You do need to know if centershot as arrow needs to flex around riser If not. What type arrows? What type head. It matters. Lower draw weight need heavier arrows imo. How did you get 28” draw? Is that actual length on that bow? 
Should be noted tuning won’t work without proper form. You need that first
28" is my draw lenght as it is measured. The bow draws out to 29" and it is a 56" bow. I guess I should probably head to the local archery shop to get more information. I realize now this post was a little preemptive and I was simply overly excited to get back Into archery in Hope's that I'd have enough time before next year to practice and get my bearings back.

1 hour ago, RsR_foto said:

28" is my draw lenght as it is measured. The bow draws out to 29" and it is a 56" bow. I guess I should probably head to the local archery shop to get more information. I realize now this post was a little preemptive and I was simply overly excited to get back Into archery in Hope's that I'd have enough time before next year to practice and get my bearings back.

It’s good to be excited and I’m sure everyone wants to help. I don’t wanna put a dump on ya but any archery shop won’t do. Not all talk or understand Trad. Find a Trad only or primarily shop not one that’s mainly compound friendly. You may or may not get good advice. Perhaps you could tell the area you’re in and maybe someone could recommend a place nearby to help you. 

There is a lot to tuning a bow. As said before 500 spine arrows should work for you with 125 grain broadheads. Make sure your field tips are the same weight.  From there you can make it simple or it can be very intricate tuning. 

The way I did my bow (I also shoot a 3 piece takedown) is I figured out what grain/type broadhead I wanted and then worked the arrow around that. Here's a link to watch. 

Edited by biggamefish
  • Like 1

It’s good to be excited and I’m sure everyone wants to help. I don’t wanna put a dump on ya but any archery shop won’t do. Not all talk or understand Trad. Find a Trad only or primarily shop not one that’s mainly compound friendly. You may or may not get good advice. Perhaps you could tell the area you’re in and maybe someone could recommend a place nearby to help you. 

I live on the outskirts of Batavia. I think there is a trad shop in leroy but I've never been there so unsure.

7 hours ago, RsR_foto said:

I live on the outskirts of Batavia. I think there is a trad shop in leroy but I've never been there so unsure.

Try to give Smith's Outdoors right in batavia a call,they are right across street from batavia downs.ask for Dwayne Merritt,pretty sure he has alot of traditional experience 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, doebuck1234 said:

Try to give Smith's Outdoors right in batavia a call,they are right across street from batavia downs.ask for Dwayne Merritt,pretty sure he has alot of traditional experience 

Dwayne Merritt is still around?  Didn't he run the archery shop at Creekside Gunshop? 

I've been highly interested in learning to shoot a recurve in the last few months, and have done a fair amount of research.  One thing that is highly recommended when starting out, is to start off learning good form on a low poundage bow, around 30 lbs.  If one starts out with too much draw weight, poor form will be the result and it's very difficult to correct.  And, when shooting a recurve, I find I want to shoot for long periods of time, because it's fun. A lower pound bow is easier to shoot for longer practice sessions.  Once good form is attained, one can move up to higher poundage.

If possible, have an experienced trad archer coach you, watch you shoot and help with form.

Here is a good forum site to check out:  https://tradtalk.com/

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, genesee_mohican said:

Dwayne Merritt is still around?  Didn't he run the archery shop at Creekside Gunshop? 

Must be.used to be hunters landing then went to Smith's,cousin was talking to guy working there and mentioned his boss dwayne.worked with his son for a few years,thats how know of him

It's funny cuz I was just in there talking to the owner last week about bows and crossbows. Seems like good people.