Hobbies? Besides hunting what are your hobbies? New Years Resolutions? Anyone?

burmjohn

Just curious what everyone's hobbies are besides hunting?

Back in the day I used to love running RC (nitro) trucks, it was a blast. Thinking of getting back into that and maybe trying to fly an RC plane as well. I'm also a car nut and have a 1987 Mustang that I've been working on in my limited spare time. Eventually would like to build a nice motor to toss in there to replace the stock block because eventually I'm going to split the thing down the valley with the power I'm tossing in there (I have a turbo force feeding some air :) ) . In my other spare time I run this site along with the help of the amazing guys here.

I figured the RC cars / planes thing would be neat, since its simple, something fun to do quick when the baby is sleeping or even to take her along for a walk to the park. the car thing is sort of on the shelf right now because that takes so much time (and money of which I just don't have to spare right now, the extra cash is going into a 529 for her college!)

My "hobby" and New Years Resolution over the next few months besides the possible RC car thing is getting my ass into shape as well as organizing, finish shelving, and cleaning my garage. I'm always looking for new things to do / try, I have the attention span of my 6 month old baby (which is bad, but working on that). Our bedroom is over our garage as well, and there are a few area's that need some improvement to help with the cold air that is getting in there. I put in a new garage door 2 months ago which helped a lot, as well as added a 3rd heading zone to the garage to keep it at about 45 degree's or so (its a 1 car wide, but 2 car deep garage). I just added a 15 or so foot span of baseboard, and it seems to work really really well. I needed to get some heat in there because I relocated my hot water heater there anyways and do not want any frozen pipe issues. Plus the little heat I pump in there really helps with keeping the bedroom above it a little bit warmer (the floors were freeeezing on cold winter days). I'd like to add some more insulation / weather stripping around the garage door to help keep out the cold (suggestions welcome here, seems the cold air is slipping through by the top of the door). I put one of those strips on the ground to help seal the door to the floor when its closed, which seemed to really help. I was also thinking of adding one of those racedeck floors, but the cost of that has put that idea off.

Yeah I guess I forgot to include my seasonal hobbies like lawn / yard / garden work too... My wife says I have to many hobbies... She has none, well, she says she has one, and its me (not sure what that means, I guess it means assigning me tasks to do) She has our beautiful baby girl as a hobby now though :)

I reload, work up and shoot loads for all my guns, shoot a lot mostly competition sporting clays and handgun, golf, bowl, fish, ride my motorcycle and 4 wheeler. SPend time at camp planting food plots cutting wood, work on my house. Breathe. I guess that is it. OOPS I forgot teaching 3 or 4 hunter ed courses a year. 10 years ago I made a resolution to never make another resolution. It is the only one I ever stuck to.

Edited by bubba

I've given up a few hobbies in the last 5 or 6 years, hunting, particularly deer hunting and now predator hunting are my main hobbies, but I also golf, shoot clays, camp, fish and ride bikes. I used to be big into cars and boats, but something had to go when my daughter was born (boats) and I gave up my car hobby and picked up our first camper once my daughter got to a good age to go camping a lot. One of these days I'll get another boat, but I think the car thing isn't going to make a comeback any time soon.

John, I used to run R/C cars. Lst one I had was a full custom Traxxas TMaxx. All aluminum frame plate, suspension, body mounts and driveshafts, big bock (3.0?) engine, etc etc. That thing was crazy fast, and also a money pit. I was always breaking stuff, so I got rid of it. I'd love to get another one,but would stick with a stock one to keep the costs down. Always wanted to get a plane, just never have.

I enjoy snowmobiling and that has been a bust this year. was going to try ice fishing with some friends this year but once again mother nature has put a damper things. After these seasons pass I will look forward to getting my boat in the water, fishing and spring turkey hunting. Of course there is the family vacations in summer and camping. But I am always looking forward to the next deer season!

My brother has a bunch of maple trees that I marked out this year. Thinking about tapping them and trying to make my own maple syrup. Something I always wanted to try.

I like to fish. I do some fly fishing, but would not consider myself a fly fisherman..Never got to really know the bugs..I also bass fish for 10 days in June every year, been doing that for the past 20 something years.

I combine scouting and hiking for new places to hunt. Taking care of the new camp takes up some time.

I shoot a lot. I like pistol shooting up at the camp. Trigger time on the pistol is great fun, especially when the ammo is free. (My agency gives us practice ammo.) And it does help. Pistol shooting is what they call a "perishible skill," meaning that if you do not practice enough, you loose it somewhat.

And last but not least, a lot of times my hobby is being lazy. Man, I love being lazy. Between work, and woking on some project at home or the camp, you get to appreciate those times that you do nothing. Absolutely nothing. I aint gonna do anything this weekend. I might do a lot of lying around in my unshowered filth, but that is about it. Maybe some eating, farting, drinking, snoozing..Thank god the season is over...

But next week, I will go after some ducks!

I enjoy farming, farm equipment repairing, beekeeping, hunting, creek fishing, nature walks, sharing time with my children, grand children, and other to many to mention. Going to do some more creek fishing this year, kick the old shoes off, and put my feet in the grass, looking out for those nettles. For New Years, I want to build on my listening skills

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

I use to ride sled a lot and do a lot of fourwheeling.

This my wheeling rig - http://thumb6.webshots.net/s/thumb4/2/25/31/104822531CRZwEx_th.jpg

I haven't had it running in years but i really miss it. With 3 kids and a fourth on the way i dont know that i will ever be able to afford getting back into it.

Now outside hunting i do some fishing, particularly through the ice, gardening, hiking, photography and other forms of art. I am into pyrography right now - see the pyrography thread in general chit chat.

I love to work out,mostly www.crossfit.com , I also am into knives collecting, reading and writting about,I like to shoot on my range with my crew from work. In the summer I water ski as much as I can,at 52 I like to think I'm still one of the better slalom skiers on the bay .

I have a rockhead er i mean Beagle that i walk everyday, love to knock around the woods with him .

I used to camp and canoe a fair amount,did the Yukon river, and a few in BC,Ontario,Quebec etc. Maybe again someday.....

Being a traditional archer and bowhunter I shoot my bows year round. However, I am also a member of the American Broadhead Collectors Club, so I go to a lot of garage sales and flea markets looking for Vintage Broadheads. I also make my own arrows. When not doing something archery related, I am ususally fly fishing. I also like canoeing and hiking. I am also a Hunter Education instructor and secretary of the Dutchess County Federation of Fish & Game Clubs.

Just finished remodeling my kitchen, what a lot of work that was the demolition was all plaster walls and ceiling. Spent a small fortune felt like it was like that movie the money pit. Will get into the muzzle loader this year. Have a Hawkins 50 cal Thompson bought it in the 1970's will finally get the fire it this year if can figure out all I need to get started. Would like to put in a food plot this season along with adding a few more apple trees. And my best new hobby will be spending time with my new grandchild.

Hobbies? - reading anything that has nothing to do with the practice of law; shooting my bow more often especially now that I have the square-up installed, going to more of my daughter's Cross Country and Fencing meets; playing first person shooter games on Xbox with my 10 y.o. son;

Resolutions? - get back into running and road cycling again, and try to find some more alone time with the wife.