Orchard Growers removing deer habitat

In the last couple years, quite a few new orchards( mainly apples) have been established in our area. Around these orchards. 10 foot tall fencing is being installed to keep deer out. These are replacing some acreage of older orchards, which is being put back into crop production. I realize, establishment of a new orchards is a huge investment, and loss of crop, is large enough to justify fence installation. I would do the same, if growing the same crop, and often wondered why they didn't do this sooner. I have also noticed that the fence changes the routing of deer, and increases road kill where fences run along busy road rightaways.This is a heads up, and any of your thoughts on the subject?

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

• 2 weeks later...

The new orchards need the fencing to keep bucks from rubbing and killing the young trees. older orchards were established before the deer populations were so high more than likely. Cost of fencing is high, although i understand there are grants and programs available for just this prpose. As for changing the patterns yes they do! sometimes you can use it to your advantage if you can hunt adjoining properties.

I have seen an entire nursery surrounded by a 5 or 6 strand electrified fence about 8' high to keep deer out. It was well over 100 acres. Worked great just until the deer figured out they could jump right through it on the run . I don't mean knock it over I mean in the air between the strands of wire and ones with big racks doing it too. I have no idea how they fit but they did it.

The fence is 2- 4 ft sections of 6 x 12 inch mesh stock fence, one on top of the other. 2 or more strands of barb wire are added 10 inches apart, at the top, for a total height of 10 feet. The cost is about $ 4 / linear foot for material & installation. Chromeslayer, take a ride down 31 east, to Medina. They are showing up in Orleans County.