Team Legend 2020

First-light

Well I may have to change our name! lol Brother has a new girlfriend.....you know what that means. My niece and her husband are expecting in November.....you know what that means.

Deal is they are trying to get to the cabin so he can hunt in a week then that is pretty much it. I'm headed up the 31st and staying all week. I'm only targeting 130+. My brother will be chasing tail (lol) don't know his plans but he did spend over two grand on a new bow and crossbow. I bet he will come up with me. Opening weekend will be me and my brother and maybe another friend. Thanksgiving weekend hopefully, if soccer doesn't get in the way, my 16 year old daughter will come up. First itme ever she will be using my 1969 30-30. That weekend will rock! Good luck, be safe bag a big one!!

FL

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Leaving tomorrow around 5 am. Should be at camp by noon! My brother is still up in the air about coming odds are he doesn't.

He actually just bought a 28 foot camper to use surf fishing on the Island. He wants to get it inspected and ready to go. Can't blame him. Her is the third owner. First owner was the President of the Montauk surf fisherman. This guy was a celebrity you can actually google Willy Young and his videos come up. He was on some really famous shows and the camper is always in the background! Cool stuff. I'll report in tomorrow night!

Got up here around noon. Had a good first hunt. Had two doe come by around 4 then a nice buck scared them off. He was in my field really nice white rack. 15 minutes prior to dark three doe come out. Headed to the field then came another nice buck that was headed my way. Too dark to shoot. He trotted off not liking something. 

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Neck shot?   Nice buck.  

Yes neck shot. He pulled up on the shot and was lucky. His third buck in 5 years with the recurve. Deer went 40 yards piled up, easy track job! 

Edited by First-light

This morning I walked to my furthest stand. About 7;15 I turn around and catch movement of a deer it was a buck. Nice body 8 pt but the rack was too small. He comes to my scent line and starts sniffing back and forth. Looking in my direction I think he wants to see a doe. He doesn't and heads the other way on my scent line. Warm and windy this afternoon. Going to sit in a stand that is next to my cut beans. There are some left in areas. GL

Had one of those afternoons. Warm windy nothing doing some I'm looking at my phone. It's 4;30 and I hear leaves crunching and look to my left and at 450 yards is one of the giants around here. Heavy beamed white rack, sweeps around all of 10 points. He gives me 10 minutes of a great view then heads up to the power lines. I hit the can he comes back to original spot. Again he just mills around then heads off behind some brush. I think he has gone and see him step out and look down the hill. Her spins and trots off with tail down. Don't know what that was about but I sure would like crack at him. Gorgeous buck!

• Like 4

Was out Thursday morning and saw a lone adult doe cross right in front of me 20 yards. Thought for sure a buck would be tailing her but nothing came along. One more shot this afternoon then headed home. Back up sometime the week before opening day. Thought it was clear sailing bringing my 16 year old daughter up opening day, not. Coached emailed and now wants to do the EDP tournament in Jersey that weekend. We will know if it's a go by Sunday. I'm disappointed but we both know soccer comes first and she may have a few college coaches there.  I won't miss opening day she will go with her mom. 

• Like 1

So I left at 7 am. Pulled out of drive and headed down past my neighbors house. I look into his fields and there is that big buck I saw with a doe. By the time I stoped my neighbor called me and wanted to know if I wanted to sneak down and try a shot at him. I had to say next time I was on my way! lol

Got home to take my daughter to soccer practice and found out the tournament will not happen. Too manyt covid worries. She is back on coming up!!!!!

• Like 1

So it's a go with my daughter for opening day. We hit Field and Stream tonight. Got her boots, jacket and pants, hat, gloves, thermal underwear. Out the door for $269. I thought that was reasonable. We will hunt together the honey hole opening morning. She will be using my 1949 marlin 35. It's a sweet gun she loves to shoot. All systems go!

IMG_5152.JPG

IMG_5153.JPG

• Like 6

On 11/4/2020 at 6:33 PM, First-light said:

Had one of those afternoons. Warm windy nothing doing some I'm looking at my phone. It's 4;30 and I hear leaves crunching and look to my left and at 450 yards is one of the giants around here. Heavy beamed white rack, sweeps around all of 10 points. He gives me 10 minutes of a great view then heads up to the power lines. I hit the can he comes back to original spot. Again he just mills around then heads off behind some brush. I think he has gone and see him step out and look down the hill. Her spins and trots off with tail down. Don't know what that was about but I sure would like crack at him. Gorgeous buck!

oops that should be 45 yards

So we made it up here last night about 8:00. I talked with my daughter about doing some things today. She looks at me and says I have school today. I'm done at 1:45! Any other kid would of been saying sure I'll take off, lol. Here she is working away in the cabin remotely learning. It actually worked out fine! We are all set for tomorrow good luck folks! 

IMG_5170.JPG