Who hunts out of a saddle?

BowmanMike

Cousin showed  how to use it  yesterday . It was interesting. 20 years ago maybe .  I like my ladder stands . I think for myself I would go back to a climber . This year I added a new ladder and 3 pop up blinds to my arsenal. Bringing my total to 4 ladders.. 3 pop-up blinds on 30 acres.

• Like 1

I wasn't aware that was a thing in New York. Thought it was a western state thing. If this isn't asking too much. How did anyone train their horse for hunting? I would love to take my horse hunting with me with an eventual goal of doing an elk hunt out west.

I have a couple that I think might be good candidates for this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sffd5 said:

I wasn't aware that was a thing in New York. Thought it was a western state thing. If this isn't asking too much. How did anyone train their horse for hunting? I would love to take my horse hunting with me with an eventual goal of doing an elk hunt out west.

Just leave your horse in the barn ,you dont have to do everything with your horse .

1 hour ago, rooster85 said:

How comfortable are they? I’ve been debating trying one this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There times , where I just sit or stand my hang on stands back start hurting after a few hours. I use the saddle twice this year and my back feels much better hunting from a saddle. So far it feel comfortable, but I think it would take me sometime for me to find my comfort zone

• Like 1

Phantom here as well. I am super comfortable in it,just added a back band which makes it even better. 

Some people have to try different ones to get comfortable,but selling the ones you dont like is easy.

I like the feel of a saddle and also the options of trees i can hunt. I either climb using my platform with two aiders as a one stick and move it up as i go or i climb DRT. Trees with branches are ok,leaning trees and last weekend i got into a 3' diameter oak tree. The versatility is amazing.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Trouble with saddle hunting is that no one who does it wants to talk about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Because it makes you feel left out? It doesn't have to be that way...haha. To each their own. I thoroughly enjoyed not prepping a single stand this summer.

Getting into mobile hunting is making things very exciting for me and accelerating my learning curve. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, sffd5 said:

Wrong saddle?

Because it makes you feel left out? It doesn't have to be that way...haha. To each their own. I thoroughly enjoyed not prepping a single stand this summer.
Getting into mobile hunting is making things very exciting for me and accelerating my learning curve. 
I agree it's like be introduced to now hunting all over again

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 10/10/2020 at 8:39 PM, ATbuckhunter said:

I have an H2 saddle that I hunted out of opening weekend. I didnt get any hip pinch, but I had a hard time getting comfortable with out knee pads. I now have knee pads and plan to head back to state land this week to harvest a doe

This is good info, my H2 shipped today.

What are you using for a platform?

20 minutes ago, 50calpeephole said:

This is good info, my H2 shipped today.

What are you using for a platform?

You could also use a kneeling pad and strap that to the tree, but I already had kneepads at home. Im using the trophyline platform. That thing is solid as a rock! Ive jumped on the side to get it to move and it didnt

Edited by ATbuckhunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1