Who hunts out of a saddle?

BowmanMike

That would certainly be the way to go if I were truly interested. Maybe in a few years when the fad dies down a bit the price will drop too. I'm not cheap by any means (I just paid $600 for a rod and reel) but $700-$1000 for some ropes and a harness seems pretty high. I hunt out of my climber 90% of the time and quite honestly love it, so it's going to take something truly eye opening to get me out of it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Also don't forget you have to buy a new harness every few years for as they "expire"

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The climbing methods available for saddle hunting are what takes the most figuring out. Both of mine took a good amount of practice but i enjoy learning new things. Some people keep tweaking their setup constantly,i guess that is fun for folks as well. 

I am happy i have mine figured out and dont think i will change anytime soon. Having the rope for DRT is awesome as i can rappel down after using just my platform to climb up. There is no better way to descend than that,especially in the dark. I have to stop myself from saying weeeeee every time.

I used the rope and throw bag the other day when i was cutting some trees by my house near the power line. Double duty. I also used them last spring when a cedar tree fell on our house during the last snow storm.

I also used my saddle at work a couple of times this summer as a safety harness on a roof.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I used the rope and throw bag the other day when i was cutting some trees by my house near the power line. Double duty. I also used them last spring when a cedar tree fell on our house during the last snow storm.

Not sure what the “ use “ was , but I wouldn’t make a habit out of using them as utility ropes . 

3 hours ago, Nomad said:

Not sure what the “ use “ was , but I wouldn’t make a habit out of using them as utility ropes . 

The rope i bought is predator rope from Sampson and intended for tree work. So i am not too worried about using it for that a few times. I check it regulary and it still looks brand new. I used them to help pull the tree in the right direction,so i had it looped over a branch. The other use was pulling the cedar tree sideways when i cut the bottom so it wouldnt smash a window on the house.

Edited by BowmanMike
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, chrisw said:

My buddy likes to pretend he's going on a photo shoot for Cabela's every time he hunts so I'm sure he'll end up in a saddle. I'd like to watch the ease and process in person and Try it for myself, because honestly, it looks like a PITA and nowhere near as comfortable as a climber. I'd like updated reports on saddles when the weather gets super cold and snowy also.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

First year using and plan on giving a report at years end . I’ve said before I’ll be the first to admit when I’m wrong cause I’ve fallen to many gadget items .

All I have to say is you have to try it in order to say it’s not got you.

I have hunted out of almost ever type of set up and they all have something that doesn’t appeal to someone. As far as the “work” it would be to set up? To me it’s a piece of cake with L W sticks. I have sets with screw in steps already and it’s even easier . 

• Like 1

First year saddle hunter here.  Taking some time getting efficient with the climbing part, but with more practice I think I am really going to like it.  I am using Wild Edge steps and I just ordered a Knaider/Swaider.
It takes a little practice but you are going to love that set up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

The rope i bought is predator rope from Sampson and intended for tree work. So i am not too worried about using it for that a few times. I check it regulary and it still looks brand new. I used them to help pull the tree in the right direction,so i had it looped over a branch. The other use was pulling the cedar tree sideways when i cut the bottom so it wouldnt smash a window on the house.

Ok I’m sure that’s fine . I’m looking at my experience of being NYS certified , intermediate level , rope rescue and almost 30 years on the job , we never mixed the two , heck you got yelled at if you stepped on a life line . 

Enjoy the saddle ! Im Strictly a ladderstand guy now , and I don’t repel off bridges and buildings anymore either , heck I hire a guy to clean my gutters lol .

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 8:57 PM, bartman9 said:

First year saddle hunter here.  Taking some time getting efficient with the climbing part, but with more practice I think I am really going to like it.  I am using Wild Edge steps and I just ordered a Knaider/Swaider.

Same here, finally have all my stuff to climb and I agreed 100%. I mulled my 1st climb over in my head a thousand times! Then I started with just one stick and move my way up. Still haven’t taken a shot off my platform yet, maybe tomorrow. 

• Like 2

On 10/23/2020 at 4:59 PM, bruno1 said:

Just purchased the Phantom today

I like the phantom, it’s the only saddle I’ve ever owned, but It’s comfortable. I’ve done two 4 hours sits in mine, one Friday afternoon and another this morning. Lots of adjustability which is nice as I’m a fidgiter! 

• Like 3

On 10/25/2020 at 4:19 PM, Liquidonyx said:

I like the phantom, it’s the only saddle I’ve ever owned, but It’s comfortable. I’ve done two 4 hours sits in mine, one Friday afternoon and another this morning. Lots of adjustability which is nice as I’m a fidgiter! 

I added knee pads which i owned anyway and a back band to my phantom and it allows me to change positions to make long sits very comfortable.

You have to shift some anyway on long sits,no matter what you sit in.

• Like 2