Pheasant Hunting

This afternoon’s hunt. 2 1/2 hours and the setters had a ball. I agree Pygmy. I find myself getting so wound up to kill a deer and waste time That can be Spent with the dogs. When deer opened later there was a time for everything.  Once deer started Opening earlier and earlier, I felt compelled to get out there after them. 

My cousin owns a hunting preserve. My nephew and I go out a couple nights a week after all the hunters have finished and Hunt the fringes and rough areas for leftovers. Its as hard a hunt as The wild birds I hunted 25 years ago. We just hit every nook and cranny On his 600 acres. Sometimes we find them...other times one or 2. 

• Like 3

I miss hunting pheasants. I use to do it a lot with a friend that I fell out of touch with. Our lives took us in separate directions. Then I got a lab that was great at pheasant hunting and I would go out alone but it wasn’t as much fun. She got old and I retired her a good few years ago before she hurt herself. Her drive to hunt was out of this world and she would be sore for a couple of days the last year I hunted her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

23 hours ago, GreenDrake said:

My cousin owns a hunting preserve. My nephew and I go out a couple nights a week after all the hunters have finished and Hunt the fringes and rough areas for leftovers. Its as hard a hunt as The wild birds I hunted 25 years ago. We just hit every nook and cranny On his 600 acres. Sometimes we find them...other times one or 2. 

What preserve? 

Yep off Genesse....between Jennings and 72. Apparently it was a reservoir for the jails back in the back and they turned the property over to the state this summer.

My buddy has been over there a few times and said it got hit pretty hard with people hiking and fishing this summer. He was there last weekend and talked with a father and son you were chasing pheasants without no dog.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, GreenDrake said:

Vernon National Shooting Preserve

I had a feeling. I know the owner and his father very well. I fish infront of his house for the last 10 years. This was the first year I didnt make it up. In fact there may be a chance I met you last year when I was there with Sam and mt father. He was introducing us to people (A few of his cousins also)

Thats my dads 3rd son lol. 10 years old now, he has definitely slowed a little from years past but he did a great job today.

He’s a thick one who clearly gets the good seat on the couch and an extra scrap or two from the table until it’s go time! I loved how quickly my Brittany went from couch potato to hunter right when he saw my shotgun care come down the stairs.

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

He’s a thick one who clearly gets the good seat on the couch and an extra scrap or two from the table until it’s go time! I loved how quickly my Brittany went from couch potato to hunter right when he saw my shotgun care come down the stairs.

Yea he slims up as the season moves on. First time out this year, 10 years old and we walked 3.5 miles, he probably did 10 miles zig zagging everywhere. Hes slowing down some but still a amazing bird dog.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GreenDrake said:

Same here.

I had a Brit and a Gordon setter at one time, now I'm left with a 13 year old Gordon.

He's got a grey muzzle, is deaf and I have to limit his time afield, but he still looks beautiful when he goes on point.

• Like 2

I see a couple mentions of Braddock Bay. I am quite new at this and have been told there are only 3 spots in Monroe County for pheasants: Bennett Road, Burger Park, and Beatty Point. I have tried the first two: nothing at all, although I did spot one or two other hunters. Have not tried Beatty Point, and am told that some areas, like these in Monroe County are only stocked once per season, while other areas in NYS are stocked multiple times per season. Any help finding a decent spot would be appreciated, although I know how "competitive" hunting in general has become.