do you hunt with handgun?

If you hunt with handgun what game do you like to hunt with?  What is your gun of choice?

I am intrigued by the idea of hunting with a handgun...not that I have any plans to do it in the near future.

I really like the Ruger Blackhawk Hunter model - 44 cal.

DAE own a Ruger?

I shot a doe with my Contender chambered in 7-30 waters . I got rid of the ported barrel and bought a plain barrel for it . I uded it about 3 times that season .

I have taken my Ruger Super redhawk 44 mag deer hunting but never got a shot at any deer with it .

I'm been handgun hunting since the early 80's. I like the challenge, it's similar to bow hunting. I don't enjoy shooting deer at long ranges with a scoped rifle.

I use a Ruger Blackhawk 357 mag with a 6.5" barrel and have take 6 NY whitetails all on state land. The longest shot was about 60yds. None ran more than 30 to 40 yds.

I use to use a 44 mag but didn't like it and went back to the 357mag.

• 2 weeks later...

When I go out with a gun it's my Ruger, old model, Super Blackhawk .44 mag.. I use 180 grain Speer hollow points and Blue Dot powder handloads that do a terrific job! Great penetration and expansion. I recovered a fully mushroomed bullet once and it only lost 12 grains! In the off season I used to hunt woodchucks to keep sharp. I love the handgun 'cause it's a challenge just like the bow!

• 2 weeks later...

Hunting with a Super Red Hawk in 44 mag with a 7 1/2" barrel topped with a Leupold fixed 4 power.  It's pretty good (3"-4" groups) out to 100 yards.  Just picked up an Encore with a 12" barrel chambered in 7mm-08 (bargain of a lifetime) topped with a Burris 2-7.  Spent some time on the range and consistantly shoot 1-1 1/2" groups at 100 yards off the bench.  Will hit the bush with that this year.  I would suggest a good lightweight bi or mono-pod though.

• 3 months later...

This was my first year hunting with a handgun. Last winter I got a Smith and Wesson .44mag . I realized early on that there was no way I could  use the iron sites because of my eyes so I topped it with a trijicon rmr red dot. A buddy of mine gave me an old Herters single stage press and I started reloading for it last spring. Practiced all summer. It's really nice to have your weapon in a shoulder holster as opposed to carrying a rifle that seems to weigh twice it's weight at the end of the day.

Any way, this was the result on opening morning.  A little spike buck. He's not a trophy but he is mighty tasty!

post-1831-131455395389_thumb.jpg

post-1831-13145539541_thumb.jpg