Time to Buy In to ML

UpStateRedNeck

Probably not the greatest year to do it with shortages, but I don't want to borrow my buddies anymore.

Assume I know nothing   I really like the TC Triumph I've borrowed.  What do I need to buy to get in the ML game?  I will probably be buying 2 to get my dad a modern weapon instead of his old flintlock.

Powder and bullets 

Triplle 7 comes in pellets or loose form as does pyrodex.  

BH209 is loose only and is pricey but there is no swabbing between shots. 

You can grab some pre packed bullets and sabots or buy in bulk separate and save money .

Check out https://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com/ 

Hornady 300gr xtp is a super bullet in a harvester crush rib sabot.

You can't go wrong with pre packaged Barnes either .

The TC triumph will ignite bh209 with the stock plug. If you buy a cva you will need to purchase a separate bh209 plug for 100% ignition. 

If you can find a TC omega buy it .

• Thanks 1

Cva accura ,wolf,and optima are fines choices .

Knight mountaineer, ultra light or disc.

Tc omega hands down one of if not the best production ml ever made. 

Tc pro hunter FX , barrels aren't interchangeable.  Some say they need a belhm trigger and hinge pin to be accurate. 

White brand muzzleloader  Doc White built them to last not a finer ml can be found .

Edited by sbuff
  • Thanks 1

I gave serious consideration to buying a ML. Was even offered a free one. To this day I'm still hemming and hawing over if I want one or not.

From reading here and a lot of other info elsewhere the big things were powder and bullet. Then glass if you want a scope.

11 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

FWIW, many people say that the Optima is as good as the Acurra and that the stock scope gets useless. I think @Chef bought an Optima with that scope and replaced it straight off.

• Thanks 1

Had a TC Omega and I loved it. I never should have sold that gun... I bought a CVA Accura a few years ago and have nothing but positive things to say. I know a few people really  love their CVA Optimas if you want an accurate gun for a little less $. Big fan of blackhorn209 powder and barnes sabots as well. 

From someone who owns around 12 modern muzzleloaders and have had another 10 or 15 because I love to tinker with them and have been doing it for about the last 20 years.

Here’s what I’ve came up with after burning pounds and pounds of powder. Buy whatever gun you want, I would avoid traditions and like CVA but t/c’s aren’t bad, I just had a less than ideal experience with their c/s and it put a sour taste in my mouth about them.

I highly recommend a nitride finish, when applied properly it’s the best finish available today.

Blackhorn 209! I’ve shot it all from 777 powder to their pellets, white hotts, shockey gold and a few others I’m forgetting none compare to blackhorn.

Primers, I’ve had my best luck and most consistent velocity’s with Remington sts primers. They’re easy to find and perform the most consistent when shooting through a crono.

Harvester crush rib sabots easiest loading cleanest sabot I’ve shot. Leave zero plastic residue in barrel! I have yet to find a gun that doesn’t shoot these sabots well!34f44a5f13eab7c805bd49e79dc715e6.jpg

Bullets there’s lots of good ones but I shoot barnes XPB 460 S&W .451 200gn. They shoot moa and perform amazingly on game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

My local store has a triumph in stock, will that need modifications to fire the bh209?

I drilled out my breech plug, don’t remember the size, I could figure it out if you’d like. Not sure if they make a 209 breech plug now or not. I’ve had two triumphs, and both ones I wore out the hinge pin and both t/c was unable/ refused to fix. Not a huge deal but it loosened the action enough so they would opens on its own from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk