Time to Buy In to ML

UpStateRedNeck

16 minutes ago, left field said:

So not a good place to sell my leftover PBs?

I melted mine down, told my dentist to use for my replacement fillings ,he said they are not even good for that!! ( fellow hunter and joking for my replacement fillings no American dental association violation taking place )

Whether you measure by volume or weight just stay consistent 

Just make sure you know the conversion multiplier 1 volumetric grain of powder is equivalent to 0.7 grains by weight.

100 grains by VOLUME = 70 grains by WEIGHT.

80 grV × 0.7 = 56 grW
90 grV × 0.7 = 63 grW
100 grV × 0.7 = 70 grW
110 grV × 0.7 = 77 grW
120 grV × 0.7 = 84 grW (Maximum Load

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sbuff said:

Whether you measure by volume or weight just stay consistent 

Just make sure you know the conversion multiplier 1 volumetric grain of powder is equivalent to 0.7 grains by weight.

100 grains by VOLUME = 70 grains by WEIGHT.

80 grV × 0.7 = 56 grW
90 grV × 0.7 = 63 grW
100 grV × 0.7 = 70 grW
110 grV × 0.7 = 77 grW
120 grV × 0.7 = 84 grW (Maximum Load

Gotcha, simple enough!  How do they kick at 100?  12 gauge / 3 inch shell bad?

Depends on gun and recoil pad . My omega  x7 with simms laboratory recoil pad eats the recoil all day,  my NEF heritage is a little more noticeable with 350gr hornady FPB, my white thunderbolt with 460gr lead conical is not bad at all and that's a big bullet .  I think 12ga 3in shells kicks more but maybe I'm wrong .

I have had less than impressive results with Hornady XTPs.  My feeling is that they are a great bullet, but not made for the velocities out of my ML.  I am leaning towards a Barnes bullet. 

For you guys with lots more black powder experience: What bullet and weight would you recommend?  I am shooting a CVA with two pellets of Triple 7 and I plan to shoot 100 yards max.  

Seems to me like copper is the way to go, no?

A note on the performance and effectiveness of Hornady XTPs, I have taken around a dozen or so Deer with them in 357 and 44 calibers. They have been fired out of handguns, rifles and muzzleloaders at pretty much similar velocities and only one Deer had to be shot twice from a Colt Python 357 revolver, all others dropped in their tracks or stumbled around for up to 25 or 30 yards before going down. I have nothing but the highest regard for their effectiveness. Just saying do your job and they will do theirs.:good:

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

several years ago on one of the muzzleloader forums I read some stuff from a guy that was "catching bullets" to check bullet performance on game. I did a bunch of it with different bullets. Interesting to see how different ones performed. Line up 2, 1 gallon milk jugs full of water, next a 5 gallon bucket of saturated play sand to catch the bullet.

Well I've been waiting on a new CC to arrive, got the old "someplace you've used your card had a security breech" email last week, not using my bank card online.

New card should be here today, here's what I have queued up to purchase :

Montana Extreme Blackhorn 209 Cleaning Solvent

Blackhorn 209 Powder Charge Tubes - Per 6

Hornady XTP Pistol Bullets - 45 - 300 Grain - HP in .451-.452

PowerBelt Speed Clip

2 50 Cal BoreSnakes

Remington Blackpowder Primers - #209 Premier STS Primers

Thompson Center U-View Black Powder Measure 15 to 125 Grains Clear Polymer and Brass

That seems like everything I need to fire it. 

Question In regards to the rod / cleaning kits :

I can't find any of those CVA cleaning kits available anywhere, or I'd grab those.  What I'm fuzzy on is :

OK the rod for Triumph is...... just a rod.  And it falls all the way into the barrel about an inch past the muzzle.  Do I need to get attachments for it?

If I get a range rod like this :

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002217980?pid=285630

Do I need to get attachments for that?  I like the range rod idea so I can mark it with a sharpie for the correct height when it has 1 sabot/bullet in it, like the video.

I ordered those CCI209's, not the 209M's that are recommended, simply because I cannot find anything else.

IF anybody sees CCI 209M, STS 209 or Federal 209A's please let me know!  Called around here too and nobody has crap.  I knew I should have just used my bank account card and ordered everything last week.

On 10/22/2020 at 2:18 PM, UpStateRedNeck said:

I ordered those CCI209's, not the 209M's that are recommended, simply because I cannot find anything else.

IF anybody sees CCI 209M, STS 209 or Federal 209A's please let me know!  Called around here too and nobody has crap.  I knew I should have just used my bank account card and ordered everything last week.

Finally got some STS primers ordered and shipped from Cabela's.  I should be good for a few years!