Time to Buy In to ML

UpStateRedNeck

For cleaning I use a bore snake. I store all my muzzleloaders with the breech plug out unless it’s loaded so I never use any grease or oil on that. Only thing that takes any time is the breech plug and I use a torch cleaner and a parts washer for that.Black horn shoots plenty clean to only have to snake it clean. If you’re getting residue that doesn’t wipeout while using blackhorn it’s probably from the sabot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

For cleaning I use a bore snake. I store all my muzzleloaders with the breech plug out unless it’s loaded so I never use any grease or oil on that. Only thing that takes any time is the breech plug and I use a torch cleaner and a parts washer for that.Black horn shoots plenty clean to only have to snake it clean. If you’re getting residue that doesn’t wipeout while using blackhorn it’s probably from the sabot.

How many shots would you say you can take without having to clean it?  I've always heard MZ need to be cleaned with warm water and soap every 3 shots or so.

I’ve always just used whatever powder solvent I’ve got around for BH209. Usually I have some Hoppes on hand. Seems to work well. I pretty much treat the barrel the way I do my centerfire rifles now. When I used to use Triple 7 pellets that was not the case.

I too use Harvester sabots, and I shoot a Hornady FTX .452 250grain.

TC Bone Collector with Leupold VX3i 1.5-5x20

If you plan any open field shooting, I would bring a laser range finder.  Those scoped inline ML's do not shoot as flat as most centerfire deer rifles.  Most are effective to 200 yards or so.  Guessing the range works ok with a center fire to 300 but not a ML at 200 yards.

I shot clean under a doe that range last season, that I guessed was at 150, with mine.  I won't hunt a field again without having my laser rangefinder with me.  I also upped the charge in my T/C omega from 2 777 pellets to the max of 3.  

If nothing else, that will use up my supply faster so I can make the change to bh209 next year.   It seems to hold the same 1.5" group at 100 yards with 3 pellets as it did with 2.  Hopefully, I can burn off 3 of those on a doe up in the Adirondacks next week.

If you plan any open field shooting, I would bring a laser range finder.  Those scoped inline ML's do not shoot as flat as most centerfire deer rifles.  Most are effective to 200 yards or so.  Guessing the range works ok with a center fire to 300 but not a ML at 200 yards.
I shot clean under a doe that range last season, that I guessed was at 150, with mine.  I won't hunt a field again without having my laser rangefinder with me.  I also upped the charge in my T/C omega from 2 777 pellets to the max of 3.  
If nothing else, that will use up my supply faster so I can make the change to bh209 next year.   It seems to hold the same 1.5" group at 100 yards with 3 pellets as it did with 2.  Hopefully, I can burn off 3 of those on a doe up in the Adirondacks next week.

What range were you zeroed at? Most of my muzzy’s are only 3-4” low from 150 to 200yds?

7 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

What range were you zeroed at? Most of my muzzy’s are only 3-4” low from 150 to 200yds?

I was zeroed at 75 yards last year with 100 gr of 777, and I am set 2" high at 100 yards with 150 gr of 777 this year.

• Like 1

I was zeroed at 75 yards last year with 100 gr of 777, and I am set 2" high at 100 yards with 150 gr of 777 this year.

That makes sense. 3 pellets won’t make much difference other than wasting pellets unless you’re shooting a 300gn bullet.

I wouldn’t blame that miss on a lack of range finder it was a lack of getting the most out of your equipment.

I’ve described it before on here but i seriously recommend for everyone to zero their guns in to whatever range it works out to be no more than 3” high or low. That way you don’t have to worry about ranging or Kentucky windage for zero to ...yds. My main hunting muzzy that works out to 185yds.

I love mu cva wolf have taken plenty of deer with it but have been interested in upgrading to the cva mountain rifle with the bergara barrel and cerakote/ nitrade finish. It's on back order everywhere locally. I want to handle the gun in person before I purchase it.

I love mu cva wolf have taken plenty of deer with it but have been interested in upgrading to the cva mountain rifle with the bergara barrel and cerakote/ nitrade finish. It's on back order everywhere locally. I want to handle the gun in person before I purchase it.

Where do you live, that’s what I have.

• Like 1

Is it well balanced?  Do you like it?

Its very well balanced, I do like it a lot! My only complaint is that it’s a little thick at the balance point where I carry it. That being said it’s replacement is already here but I don’t know if I’ll get to setting it up this year.

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Its very well balanced, I do like it a lot! My only complaint is that it’s a little thick at the balance point where I carry it. That being said it’s replacement is already here but I don’t know if I’ll get to setting it up this year.

If you go to sell it let me know I might be interested.  What are you replacing it with if you don't mind me asking?

Allright it's dumb new guy questions time :

These ML's listed as 50 Cal.

https://opticsandammo.com/product/barnes-bullets-45115-460-sw-451-200gr-xpb-fb-20-mfg-30554/

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/harvester-crush-rib-50-caliber-sabots---per-50

The harvester crush rub Sabots seem to be the general consensus best sabot.  

Am I correct in assuming that these Sabots and the actual bullets, although listed at .451 are what I shoot through a .50 Cal smoke pole?

Yes, .451 .452 and .458 are commonly used but buy the proper sabot for the bullet intended . 

Those green crush rib are for .40 cal bullets . You might find better pricing on harvesters site to .  I myself like a 300 to 400gr bullet but that's pure preference 

• Thanks 1