Best 6mm(.243) bullet for deer??

LET EM GROW

40 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Idiot  :crazy:

Classy, calling someone you don’t know nor do you know the why or how about this, names. Another guy doesn’t know what he doesn’t know but has a big opinion based on assumptions. Reminds me of a chick making fun of another girl to make themselves feel better bout themselves. Sort of an insecurity. I’ll pray for ya. 

1 minute ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Classy, calling someone you don’t know nor do you know the why or how about this, names. Another guy doesn’t know what he doesn’t know but has a big opinion based on assumptions. Reminds me of a chick making fun of another girl to make themselves feel better bout themselves. Sort of an insecurity. I’ll pray for ya. 

Don't bother wasting your time praying for me..... there is no hope. Don't care about the circumstances. Don't want to know him. Shooting at a running deer with a high powered rifle is a recipe for disaster. Your forget this is America and I am entitled to my opinion. Have a great season.

11 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Don't bother wasting your time praying for me..... there is no hope. Don't care about the circumstances. Don't want to know him. Shooting at a running deer with a high powered rifle is a recipe for disaster. Your forget this is America and I am entitled to my opinion. Have a great season.

You absolutely have the right to your opinion. I even respect you for that and respect your reasons and assumptions. . What I don’t respect is you calling someone names from behind a computer. It’s Low class

Edited by Foggy Mountain

7 hours ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Ballistic tips blow up and make a mess too often. Stay away from them unless you like ground meat 

The EARLY production ballistic tips were  more lightly constructed and in some calibers they tended to be too explosive for medium or big game, similar to varmint bullets...

However, in a short period of time, Nosler addressed the problem and beefed up the jackets....For at least the last twenty years or so, Nosler BTs  have been equal or superior to  any of the standard cup and core  type bullets, such as Sierras, Speers, Rem  Coreloct, Winchester Power Points and others....

I have killed a lot of game with Nosler BTs, including   whitetails, mule deer, pronghorns and caribou, and have never had an explosive " bullet failure" such as those that were described by some hunters using the early BTs in the first 2-3 years of production..  Most of the game I have killed with BTs has been with the .280 Rem and the 7MM08 pushing a 140 grain BT from 2800 to 3000 FPS...

One thing about the Nosler BT..If you want to find the most accurate bullet in your rifle, the BT is the first one to try..You probably won't have to go any further..

• Like 3

I def disagree with the accuracy. In many guns the Sierra is doing superior.  The shot mentioned was 2 years ago. New heads.The fellow that uses them though in that gun finds em best accuracy wise. That’s what I alluded to earlier. I like Gameking but my shelf if full of all kind of heads and the gun gets what it likes best. 

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

The EARLY production ballistic tips were  more lightly constructed and in some calibers they tended to be too explosive for medium or big game, similar to varmint bullets...

However, in a short period of time, Nosler addressed the problem and beefed up the jackets....For at least the last twenty years or so, Nosler BTs  have been equal or superior to  any of the standard cup and core  type bullets, such as Sierras, Speers, Rem  Coreloct, Winchester Power Points and others....

I have killed a lot of game with Nosler BTs, including   whitetails, mule deer, pronghorns and caribou, and have never had an explosive " bullet failure" such as those that were described by some hunters using the early BTs in the first 2-3 years of production..  

Nothing new in the industry either. Hornady has issues with their DGX, dangerous game expanding, falling apart; and has had to do a redesign. TSX bullets got a tweak early in their first commercial releases too.

Shoot enough stuff long enough and you can get a head scratcher along the way. Shot a 2200lb eland (big critter)on the shoulder and had a 300gr Swift A frame disintegrate. Close, 60 yds with a 375. Next bullet broke not only the other shoulder, but the now offside wounded one when it spun around. Then put in a frontal and that one traversed all 8' of body length (took out heart).

Same bullet batch, same loads, same gun, same distances. One unique failure. That same bullet lot number has shot a significant amount of game, and that is the only time I have had a true bullet failure and still have confidence in the brand and even have more of that lot number.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dinsdale said:

Shoot enough stuff long enough and you can get a head scratcher along the way. Shot a 2200lb eland (big critter)on the shoulder and had a 300gr Swift A frame disintegrate. Close, 60 yds with a 375. Next bullet broke not only the other shoulder, but the now offside wounded one when it spun around. Then put in a frontal and that one traversed all 8' of body length (took out heart).

Same bullet batch, same loads, same gun, same distances. One unique failure. That same bullet lot number has shot a significant amount of game, and that is the only time I have had a true bullet failure and still have confidence in the brand and even have more of that lot number.

"Experience"

And that's why when you and Pygmy chime in, I'm always listening.  Others should too.........

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

"Experience"

And that's why when you and Pygmy chime in, I'm always listening.  Others should too.........

This!

27 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Thanks, but you're no slouch on this topic either (and others) and can back it up. 

And this too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Billdogge said:

Took my buck 2 years ago with Fusion 243. Worked great. Shot to loads today I’ll be trying this year. BARNES TTSX and Deer Season Copper Impact. Both shot same POI at 100

5860B866-13DE-4959-B8B4-BEABE9D9C326.jpeg

Model 70 supergrade with maple stock????

I def disagree with the accuracy. In many guns the Sierra is doing superior.  The shot mentioned was 2 years ago. New heads.The fellow that uses them though in that gun finds em best accuracy wise. That’s what I alluded to earlier. I like Gameking but my shelf if full of all kind of heads and the gun gets what it likes best. 

I’m the opposite, I couldn’t care less about accuracy within reason, I’m way more concerned about what the bullets going to do when it gets there than what hair it hits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I’m the opposite, I couldn’t care less about accuracy within reason, I’m way more concerned about what the bullets going to do when it gets there than what hair it hits.

Agree. Minute of deer and good bullet construction. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Billdogge said:

Agree. Minute of deer and good bullet construction. 

Nailed it....Little bughole groups are great for bragging rights at the range, but not necessary for hunting medium to large game...

My most useful rifle and the one that I have killed the most game with, from pronghorns and deer to  large Alaska bull moose, has never been a tack driver..It is a Win M70  in .280 Rem, and day in and day out, groups around 2" at 100 yards off the bench..

However, with well constructed bullets, Nosler partitions, Barnes X, and yes, Nosler BTS, I have killed lots of stuff with it, some on the far side of 300 yards, and mostly with a fixed 4X Leupold scope..

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Kinda crazy not to care about accuracy. You can custom tailer any load to do what you want. Different bullet types, different speed, etc. Let me ask you besides a complete solid do any really not work the way we want on our game? It’s all degrees. The solid actually would too with the correct game, surely not whitetail. If the rifle wasn’t dead on accurate, not printing tiny groups I’d sell it. Why would you think a super accurate rifle can’t perform as well? Kinda short sighted and imo not even close to finishing the job.  I’d think most rifle guys would feel same Least ones I know. 

• Like 1

Kinda crazy not to care about accuracy. You can custom tailer any load to do what you want. Different bullet types, different speed, etc. Let me ask you besides a complete solid do any really not work the way we want on our game? It’s all degrees. The solid actually would too with the correct game, surely not whitetail. If the rifle wasn’t dead on accurate, not printing tiny groups I’d sell it. Why would you think a super accurate rifle can’t perform as well? Kinda short sighted and imo not even close to finishing the job.  I’d think most rifle guys would feel same Least ones I know.   

Not crazy at all. A deer has a pretty big kill zone and are pretty easy to kill.

Yes a lot of bullets don’t work the way we want on game. I want a bullet that will go end for end at any possible angle and make 2 holes.

If you have any guns that don’t print small enough groups let me know, I love inaccurate rifles almost as much as hefty blondes!

I spent my military career worrying about accuracy and hitting targets at long ranges. I’ve loaded my own ammo since I was a young teenager. I’ve gotten to a point in my life where I don’t worry about accuracy and punching holes anymore, I still shoot thousands and thousands of rounds a year but less than 20 of them are off a bench.

I’ll put my skill against mechanical accuracy in real world conditions any day of the week. This gun will hold a 6” group at 75yds free hand if I do my part. This buck was over 100yds and he didn’t seem too happy that I missed the hair I wanted to hit.6457273ddac0ac6005e5e2a51a90e341.plist&key=0b7f67b85601ee5cb3cdf38c64a214ad34abdf1c811a1db3b8fcfcd06bf7ec8c

• Like 7

As reloading my intentions are to get the best grouping possible , but for deer I would be extremely happy with "around" 1-2MOA or better. I don't shoot much over 200 yards and if i do my part That's still in a heart or just outside. My main reason for loading is to fine tune my varmint guns to sub MOA grouping. Coyotes ar emy go to hunting season, And their vitals are much smaller.  

Also, This gun is topped with a Day/Night scope that I can save 7 different reticle/bullet combos So id be more than happy to try several bullets. 

I put the first 20 shots through it over the weekend. Actually my stepson did. I got it on paper and let him shoot it to his liking. I used cheap 100gr power point winchesters to get it close.. then fine tuned it for 75 vmax for now.. and these other bullets will be saved on the other reticles. 

I've heard nothing but good stuff about barnes, nosler and sierra bullets. followed by hornady. I just want this bullet to punch and go through what ever it needs to do.. A deer wont take a double lung hit very well, but if im spending the money and time.. i want a solid strong bullet thats going to deliver what i need it too.. 

I've taken several deer with ELDM and amaxand they don't go far and they don't explode either. These are ballistic tipped bullets. Shot them with Vmax bullets and the damage is ridiculous .. lol yes I know vmax are meant to explode after entrance.. 

Just looking for some solid tips and advice from the guys here, and you've come through. Thank you guys! I greatly appreciate the help.. hope you don't mind chiming in in the future as im a rookie to the bullet game and i'm already hooked.. 

• Like 1