Best 6mm(.243) bullet for deer??

LET EM GROW

Thanks all, HEard good things about the nosler partition and accubounds as well. what grain weight would you think? heavy as possible? 

18 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Barnes X.. Talk to Lawdwaz and he will tell you about the effectiveness of that bullet  on deer  in the .243....

Yes, he is who I heard it from. I couldn't remember who it was.. Ill hae to send him a message. I did buy soe reloading gear from him recently.. thank you sir

Nothing absolutely nothing better than a Sierra Gameking. Look , for one,    at accuracy titles. See how many Sierra has. Lots of the controlled expansion heads are nice in theory but you can’t do better than gamekings on deer. If you were my brother I’d recommend the same. Nosler makes good heads no doubt , Sierra is better

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Nothing absolutely nothing better than a Sierra Gameking. Look , for one,    at accuracy titles. See how many Sierra has. Lots of the controlled expansion heads are nice in theory but you can’t do better than gamekings on deer. If you were my brother I’d recommend the same. Nosler makes good heads no doubt , Sierra is better

I shoot 52smk out of my 22-250 with great results, tiny hole in, no exits. I will be buying 2 or 3 different boxes to try. This will also be out of an AR as well Im a fan of Sierra and Nosler, and heave heard the most and best reviews for deer coming from Nosler and Barnes, Many here are far mor eknowledgable on bullets than me.. as i have not loaded a round yet but have basically everything to get started to now.. besides bullets.  

2 hours ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Ballistic tips blow up and make a mess too often. Stay away from them unless you like ground meat 

We have used, and I reload Nosler BTs in 270 and 7mm-08. Never one time, have I ever seen a NBT "blow up" on a deer. Not sure where this wives tale got started, but I've heard it before. I have shot good sized bucks through the shoulder with NBTs, and they drop where they stood. I have yet to see any deer go more than a 75 yards after being hit with this bullet. The vast majority are dead right there, and don't even move an ear. 

Yes, there is some fragmentation, as this bullet is designed to dissipate most of it's energy before exiting. And yes, there are exit wounds. But "exploding", or "blowing up", and not killing the deer with a good vitals shot is not something I have ever experienced. And outside of a little rib meat, nun of our venison was ever ground before we put it in the grinder ourselves.

But to each their own. We all have our favorites. 

Edited by grampy
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, grampy said:

We have used, and I reload Nosler BTs in 270 and 7mm-08. Never one time, have I ever seen a NBT "blow up" on a deer. Not sure where this wives tale got started, but I've heard it before. I have shot good sized bucks through the shoulder with NBTs, and they drop where they stood. I have yet to see any deer go more than a 75 yards after being hit with this bullet. The vast majority are dead right there, and don't even move an ear. 

Yes, there is some fragmentation, as this bullet is designed to dissipate most of it's energy before exiting. And yes, there are exit wounds. But "exploding", or "blowing up", and not killing the deer with a good vitals shot is not something I have ever experienced. And outside of a little rib meat, nun of our venison was ever ground before we put it in the grinder ourselves.

I think we’re just talking different. It doesn’t blow up before it enters. That’s def ridiculous. You can’t say being the bullet expands so quickly it doesn’t do massive damage if say it hits a bone? 
I’ll give you one for instance, there’s a lot though. My buddy shot a buck running with his 270 ballistic tips. Was angling bad and might as well have blown up in the opposite ham. Bones and metal fragments mixed in with chopped meat. A Gameking wouldn’t do that. 

Edited by Foggy Mountain

Grampy I was thinking another thing and it’s just a curiosity. I’ve never seen or even heard of one blowing up on impact. Guess I wasn’t even thinking that. You though assumed that. It’s something I never said so perhaps each time you’ve heard it someone was talking like me or was it what you’ve actually heard someone claim?

2 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

I shoot 52smk out of my 22-250 with great results, tiny hole in, no exits. I will be buying 2 or 3 different boxes to try. This will also be out of an AR as well Im a fan of Sierra and Nosler, and heave heard the most and best reviews for deer coming from Nosler and Barnes, Many here are far mor eknowledgable on bullets than me.. as i have not loaded a round yet but have basically everything to get started to now.. besides bullets.  

Here’s the thing. It is true everyone will have favorites. Be careful though about what you hear. Take it apart and consider marketing. Nosler is a giant advertiser. Many guys repeat what they hear.  The heads are good. Guys state they shoot lots of deer with them and I’m sure they do. Someone can’t compare the best if they don’t experiment. I’m not saying anyone doesn’t here mind you. 
To explain further, Look up the reviews on a primos bamboozle Turkey call. I’m gonna be blunt. It’s garbage. See what you read about how great guys think it is. Guys really aren’t sure where their knowledge ends. 
In reloading some guys just put things together. That’s a big part of what I’m sure guys want right now. Thats cool. 
Some guys massage a gun/bullet combo until it’s peaked. Different powders are tried, different charges of that powder. Different primers, how bout changing the seating depth of a bullet? It all matters. Some guys weigh brass. 
There’s more but you can go as far or as easy as you like. You’re doing it though. Experimenting is cool. Initially on a gun I’d load 3-5 shells all dif types. Yes and even different heads. Nosler included. I test them all than change it. I’m looking to develop peak performance. Continually testing. I don’t have one single gun well maybe a 22-250 ballistic tips they’re the most accurate in. A .375 HH I have likes A Frames. 
The rest and there’s a bunch like Sierra. 
Experimenting with heads leads to load testing on game. Did I tell ya Sierra is best. See for yourself. Don’t believe everything you hear. Now don’t disbelieve it either. Keep your mind open and use what’s best by you. Test all for yourself. 
That’s the fun of reloading imo

The first bullets I used in my 6mm rem. Was a 105gr A-max and killed 2 with them and was impress with the results. Then I tried a load for the 103ge EDL-X but found that the 1in9 twist rate on my 700 would not stabilize the bullet. I went to the 100gr inter -loc I have killed 4 with that bullet. Your shooting white tails not elk as long as you put the bullet where it needs to go you’re going to kill them. This year I’m going to try a 90gr accubond at 3200. So it’s a lot better round then it is given credit for.

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1

It’s a wives tale Grampy. It’s the old friend of a friend said... thing. A lot of people that have never used them have opinions. In my opinion it’s the best deer bullet ever made. Before I went copper is all I would use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3