poisoning mice

rachunter

I  was talking to a guy the other day.We both have houses in the same general area upstate.We got to talking about the chipmunk explosion this year,after a few minutes i realized he was the type that wouldn't hurt a fly.I was telling him that the munks keep emptying my mouse bait boxes and i can't believe the poison doesn't kill them.He said it does later when they eat it there just filling the cheek pockets in there mouths and taking it back to there nest.I found that interesting.He also said by poisoning a rodent i was killing other animals that eat the poisoned rodent??? He said mostly owls and hawks is there any truth to this?? That's the last thing i would ever want to do.I do find mice all around my house and shed both dead or half dead.

3 minutes ago, rachunter said:

I  was talking to a guy the other day.We both have houses in the same general area upstate.We got to talking about the chipmunk explosion this year,after a few minutes i realized he was the type that wouldn't hurt a fly.I was telling him that the munks keep emptying my mouse bait boxes and i can't believe the poison doesn't kill them.He said it does later when they eat it there just filling the cheek pockets in there mouths and taking it back to there nest.I found that interesting.He also said by poisoning a rodent i was killing other animals that eat the poisoned rodent??? He said mostly owls and hawks is there any truth to this?? That's the last thing i would ever want to do.I do find mice all around my house and shed both dead or half dead.

Mice will do the same thing, I think all rodents have an instinct to store food.  In my garage I'll put out a small handful of pellets several nights in a row, hoping they'll be more inclined to eat it.  When I put out a whole package it will be gone in the morning and I might find it in one of my boots next winter!  Your friend may be right about accidentally poisoning raptors, cats, etc.  I think my pellets say not to be used outdoors.  It is a great year for chipmunks for some reason.

I'm sure its possible but I doubt it happens a lot. Here in Wayne County it's apple country. Every year after harvest a lot of the orchards get a good dose of mouse bait. Thousands of acres. If it were killing all the hawks and owls I'm pretty sure they would outlaw it.

I use tomcat it says it will not harm other animals.i haven't found any dead munks  like i do the mice,but everything i've read just now says it will kill other animals.I'm going to reread the bucket this weekend.if anything i'll set up more bucket traps until i'm up there fulltime then i'll get a few Mainecoon cats.

http://saferodentcontrol.org/site/wildlife/

• Like 1