Brush in your ladder stand?

left field

I moved a ladder stand in the summer to a corner of a deer travel crossroads from bedding to food. In retrospect, I think I'm too exposed as I probably set up to favour my limited range and I'm right on one of the lines of travel. I'm a pretty big matzo ball just sitting there. I could move it to a more covered tree but that would limit my options as I won't be able to reach the one travel path. Or I could brush it in.

Does anyone cover their stands?

Edited by left field

I tuck my ladders into brushy spots and try to put them at ambush points. I always have the best shooting spot to my left (I'm right handed) that I can shoot from the seat so there is less movement with the rail down. But usually I am able to stand slowly without getting busted.  I usually set them up in between a couple of trees as well to help hide in there and have 2-3 shooting lanes. Def need to use the terrain to your best advantage.  I will brush them in sometimes if where I really need to put one is too open. 

But I have used 9ft stands sometimes cause they tuck in even better in that spot.  The more hidden the better 

Last year my buddy and I were putting up a 9ft and he was in the stand and I was out in the trail. I told him ...what does it look like if you stand up....he says I am standing up.  Well that's tucked in. Lol

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Some of my ladders don’t have the safety bar that comes down. So basically what I’ve done is run 2  2x4’s one on each side of me and then tie them together with a cross 2x4. Then I run a brace up from the tree to the end of the 2x4s to hold it in place. I posted pics on here in a similar thread, I’ll see if I can dig them up. 

Most hunters would say I set up my ladder stands backwards in that I set them up on the far side of the tree rather than over looking my intended kill zone. I usually stand rather than sit and hide behind the tree. Deer seldom see me as a result, or they see me when it's to late for them. I feel zero need to brush them in. I am a gun hunter, this would have serious limitations for a bow hunter.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, left field said:

I moved a ladder stand in the summer to a corner of a deer travel crossroads from bedding to food. In retrospect, I think I'm too exposed as I probably set up to favour my limited range and I'm right on one of the lines of travel. I'm a pretty big matzo ball just sitting there. I could move it to a more covered tree but that would limit my options as I won't be able to reach the one travel path. Or I could brush it in.

Does anyone cover their stands?

I don’t.    It’s great to have cover when possible but I also hunt stands that I sure look like a bear on a toothpick.   Just pick your time to move and draw and shoot seated if possible.   Or ratchet strap branches behind you to break up outline.   Or use this:   

https://www.blindedhunting.com/crowsnest

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

Most hunters would say I set up my ladder stands backwards in that I set them up on the far side of the tree rather than over looking my intended kill zone. I usually stand rather than sit and hide behind the tree. Deer seldom see me as a result, or they see me when it's to late for them. I feel zero need to brush them in. I am a gun hunter, this would have serious limitations for a bow hunter.

Not necessarily, I have a bow hunter  friend who uses a climber that way , his climber is on the “ back side “ he stands and faces the tree . I won’t argue with him , I’ve seen his kills .

I think many set up their ladders wrong as they’re perpendicular to the trail , and not parallel,with their back towards , the assumed travel direction.

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1