Any places for bowhunting rabbits?

chacha

Hi, does anyone know any places good for bow hunting rabbits within 1.5 hours driving from NYC (preferably on Long island)? If not, any good places for hunting other small game or even foxes and such?

First year bow hunting newbie here who's not having much luck with deer, so want to give small game a shot. Any help would be appreciated!

I'm out on the island and can count the times i've seen a rabbit while shed hunting on two fingers.The fox population got knocked down a few years ago by mange and never really bounced back.What kind of tip are you going to use?

It's early in the season to give up on deer hunting.Halloween was always the starter for me.

• Like 1

I can not help you to find a good hunting area for Rabbits but I can say hunting them with archery equipment is a panic. I used to do it a lot years ago using my Beagles to bring them around for a shot. You do not have time to be messing around with sights and releases because you are snap shooting most of the time and you have to be quick. Instinctive shooting using a glove with a low poundage recurve, low cost arrows {You will be losing some} and a bludgeon type head will do the job. I still have a few of the heads I used pictured below, a solid torso hit with one of those heads easily will kill a Rabbit.

I did not kill a whole lot but I sure had fun trying.

Al

2020-10-13_075626.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

Maybe if you get to hunt in someones back yard where rabbits frequent you might get to kill a couple with a bow, but hunting them in a wild habitat will be challenging enough just to find them.   Hard enough to kill them with a shotgun or .22 without a beagle.  With a bow I can imagine it might be next to impossible.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chacha said:

Hi, does anyone know any places good for bow hunting rabbits within 1.5 hours driving from NYC (preferably on Long island)? If not, any good places for hunting other small game or even foxes and such?

First year bow hunting newbie here who's not having much luck with deer, so want to give small game a shot. Any help would be appreciated!

Stick with the deer ,you'll see plenty of small game while waiting for deer to come through. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rachunter said:

I'm out on the island and can count the times i've seen a rabbit while shed hunting on two fingers.The fox population got knocked down a few years ago by mange and never really bounced back.What kind of tip are you going to use?

It's early in the season to give up on deer hunting.Halloween was always the starter for me.

I'm using a judo point. Well definitely not giving up on deer hunting ofc, just want to try out some small game. Since small game season is open upstate now, any suggestions on where to hunt squirrels in the upstate regions not far from NYC? I have no idea whats up there.

2 hours ago, airedale said:

I can not help you to find a good hunting area for Rabbits but I can say hunting them with archery equipment is a panic. I used to do it a lot years ago using my Beagles to bring them around for a shot. You do not have time to be messing around with sights and releases because you are snap shooting most of the time and you have to be quick. Instinctive shooting using a glove with a low poundage recurve, low cost arrows {You will be losing some} and a bludgeon type head will do the job. I still have a few of the heads I used pictured below, a solid torso hit with one of those heads easily will kill a Rabbit.

I did not kill a whole lot but I sure had fun trying.

Al

2020-10-13_075626.png

Ahh, what about squirrels? Are they as hard as rabbits? If not, any suggestions on where to hunt squirrels in the upstate regions not far from NYC? Sorry, a total newbie, donno what's up there.

1 hour ago, chacha said:

Ahh, what about squirrels? Are they as hard as rabbits? If not, any suggestions on where to hunt squirrels in the upstate regions not far from NYC? Sorry, a total newbie, donno what's up there.

Damn pretty much any public hunting land north of the city will get you squirrels if you're using a bow.  A buddy of mine had two squirrels come in once and hit one with these bludgeon points.  It knocked the squirrel out.  He took his time waiting to see if he could get the second one but after a few minutes of waiting, he realize he wasn't going to get a shot on the second one so he went to recover the one he hit.  When he walking up to it, the squirrel got up and was starting to wander off like he was coming back from a wild night out at the club.  He had to run and chase it down before it got away.  Finished it with a knife.  These bludgeons are good but the are not instant kills.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Damn pretty much any public hunting land north of the city will get you squirrels if you're using a bow.  A buddy of mine had two squirrels come in once and hit one with these bludgeon points.  It knocked the squirrel out.  He took his time waiting to see if he could get the second one but after a few minutes of waiting, he realize he wasn't going to get a shot on the second one so he went to recover the one he hit.  When he walking up to it, the squirrel got up and was starting to wander off like he was coming back from a wild night out at the club.  He had to run and chase it down before it got away.  Finished it with a knife.  These bludgeons are good but the are not instant kills.

If deer were as tough as squirrels wed never kill one

20 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Thanks for the info. Well being a newbie, still having trouble finding which piece of land is huntable tho...

1 hour ago, chacha said:

Any suggestions on where to hunt squirrels in the upstate regions not far from NYC? Thanks!

Well here’s a sure fire way to get close. Post a topo of NY on your garage. Stand back 15’ and throw a dart at it. Exactly where it hits you’ll find squirrels. They’re honestly everywhere. Just go out early and sit in a mast area. If you look on any rock walls you’ll see broken shell piles. 
Start there. Good luck

• Like 1

Chacha, what kinda bow you shooting? After deer season I’d like to do a rabbit bow hunt. It’s all guys with Stykbows though. I’ve got dogs medium speed who shouldn’t lose anything. Nothing is set yet but pm me your info if you’re interested. We don’t shoot on a jump. The dogs gotta circle first and the shots must be safe. Just a FYI 
What kinda name is Chacha?

42 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Chacha, what kinda bow you shooting? After deer season I’d like to do a rabbit bow hunt. It’s all guys with Stykbows though. I’ve got dogs medium speed who shouldn’t lose anything. Nothing is set yet but pm me your info if you’re interested. We don’t shoot on a jump. The dogs gotta circle first and the shots must be safe. Just a FYI 
What kinda name is Chacha?

Hi, I'm just planning on using my deer bow (a compound bow) with a small game tip. Just sort of a getaway from deer hunting. Also, chacha's just a random forum nickname I came up with haha.

11 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

If deer were as tough as squirrels wed never kill one

Not to include the fact these little buggers are tiny and won't sit still when on the ground.

@chacha It goes without saying, never shoot up into the trees.  Great recipe for losing an expensive arrow and the fletching will keep the arrow pointed in a deadly angle on it's way down.  Generally people don't go out hunting for squirrels with a bow an arrow.  They just happen on them by chance and boredom.  While deer hunting, I carry my usual deer broadheads but I keep a small game tip or two in the quiver just in case.

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, chacha said:

Thanks for the info. Well being a newbie, still having trouble finding which piece of land is huntable tho...

Stewart State Forest has a ton of squirrels.  I use to get a few when I park off of Drury Lane.  California Hill is another spot.  Early season, they tend to stay up in the trees because there's so much acorn, they don't need to come down.  Later in the season once most of the nuts fall, you'll see them in the ground more often.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Stewart State Forest has a ton of squirrels.  I use to get a few when I park off of Drury Lane.  California Hill is another spot.  Early season, they tend to stay up in the trees because there's so much acorn, they don't need to come down.  Later in the season once most of the nuts fall, you'll see them in the ground more often.

Thank you for the tips! I want to give California Hill a try  cos its closer to me. But any chance you can recommend me a good parking spot there?

6 hours ago, chacha said:

Thank you for the tips! I want to give California Hill a try  cos its closer to me. But any chance you can recommend me a good parking spot there?

@chacha since you’re a “newbie” take what I’m saying as constructive criticism and not disrespect. You’ve gotten lots of solid advice in here and someone even giving you street names, now it’s time to go do your own work and find them. Asking someone where to park is like asking someone if they mind if you can take their girlfriend out. Sorry if this comes off harsh but in your defense it sounds like you genuinely just didn’t know to never ask for a spot. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bruno1 said:

@chacha since you’re a “newbie” take what I’m saying as constructive criticism and not disrespect. You’ve gotten lots of solid advice in here and someone even giving you street names, now it’s time to go do your own work and find them. Asking someone where to park is like asking someone if they mind if you can take their girlfriend out. Sorry if this comes off harsh but in your defense it sounds like you genuinely just didn’t know to never ask for a spot. 

Yeah sorry about that, didn't know that. I just genuinely didn't where I was allowed to park....the map on the DEC website was a little different from google street view....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chacha said:

Yeah sorry about that, didn't know that. I just genuinely didn't where I was allowed to park....the map on the DEC website was a little different from google street view....

It's not necessarily the parking spot.  For some hunters, they spend years and countless hours exploring to find the pot of gold or "honey hole".  These spots remain a honey hole only because not a lot of hunters know about it.  Once a lot of hunters hit the spot, the animals will wise up and leave the area.  The "honey hole" will no longer be a "honey hole" and now you have spend some more countless hours exploring for a new spot.  Since it's public, they can't stop other hunters from finding the spot on their own but they certainly don't want to let everyone on the forum the general direction to it.

Many areas, if you drive around the perimeter of the park, you'll come across marked parking spots.  It'll have a posted sign.  Others are less obvious.  Still, you drive around the perimeter (or through if there are roads leading through it) and you see spots along the side of the road that appear to have a lot of car traffic.  If you use the satellite view on google maps and zoom in you can even see some of these.

I gave you Drury Lane at Stewart State Forest.  Take a look at this aerial off of Google Maps and take a wild guess as to where people have been parking.

drury.JPG

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Elmo said:

It's not necessarily the parking spot.  For some hunters, they spend years and countless hours exploring to find the pot of gold or "honey hole".  These spots remain a honey hole only because not a lot of hunters know about it.  Once a lot of hunters hit the spot, the animals will wise up and leave the area.  The "honey hole" will no longer be a "honey hole" and now you have spend some more countless hours exploring for a new spot.  Since it's public, they can't stop other hunters from finding the spot on their own but they certainly don't want to let everyone on the forum the general direction to it.

Many areas, if you drive around the perimeter of the park, you'll come across marked parking spots.  It'll have a posted sign.  Others are less obvious.  Still, you drive around the perimeter (or through if there are roads leading through it) and you see spots along the side of the road that appear to have a lot of car traffic.  If you use the satellite view on google maps and zoom in you can even see some of these.

I gave you Drury Lane at Stewart State Forest.  Take a look at this aerial off of Google Maps and take a wild guess as to where people have been parking.

drury.JPG

Ah, thank you for the photo. I had no idea that was a place you are allowed to park. Thank you!

2 hours ago, chacha said:

No need to apologize I could tell you just didn’t know. I figured I’d help you out, on some sites guys would’ve jumped down your throat instead of just lending some friendly advice

• Like 1