Live from the butcher shop 2020

Arcade Hunter

The shank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh I didn't know. I thought the shank was the bone part. Don't hate. I may be The Jerkman but I only deal with boneless 30lb hunks at a time. Not meat on the carcass still

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

d54f55b6ab2f0be0c8781aa4e6d505c8.jpg&key=981635a52961ecb4b78d3855bc282d5dc0065fdeba37d5b87e8d451b990d3a55

Since [mention]The_Real_TCIII [/mention] encouraged the post snow hunt I figure I should also try his butchering method of deboning on the hook....just removed one hind for tonight’s dinner and some additional roasts for the freezer.
The blanket backdrop is to hide the chaos of my garage!!!!

2dfd3fe2483c6e80d052c18b1070eec0.jpg&key=bf73d35664d12c8d1f6ed033edc71737ee26437dd96850d49ee50fd375d96819

You did a much better job than I do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's always interesting seeing other people way of breaking down the deer. I always remove the shank/football roast first off the hind quarters. My order of removal is 

Inner loins 

Shoulders 

Backstraps 

Hind quarters starting with the football roast. 

I'm not saying my way is the right way just saying its interesting to see the different methods. 

On 12/21/2020 at 8:22 AM, Moho81 said:

It's always interesting seeing other people way of breaking down the deer. I always remove the shank/football roast first off the hind quarters. My order of removal is 

Inner loins 

Shoulders 

Backstraps 

Hind quarters starting with the football roast. 

I'm not saying my way is the right way just saying its interesting to see the different methods. 

I agree. I am just butchering my last deer for the year. We used to take everything off while it was hanging but i switched to doing it on a camping table now. It works pretty good for me. My order is shoulders first,then the neck meat,then the hindquarters and last the loins. The inner loins are usually gone already. I started saving the legbones for the first time this year to make broth. The shanks are left whole and cooked slowly,the meat falls apart and all the connective tissue breaks down during cooking. I used to hate trimming shanks,now i love them.

• 2 weeks later...

Final hind quarters cut up tonight from my 12/31 spike.

34220e8f5576689a4cceef76bfc2be2a.jpg

Clockwise:
Shanks, football roast, to be ground, roast for cutlets, hidden tender, roast for cutlets.
Feel free to tell me the actual names of those roasts some can promptly forget them again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Clockwise:
Shanks, football roast, to be ground, roast for cutlets, hidden tender, roast for cutlets.
Feel free to tell me the actual names of those roasts some can promptly forget them again!

I dont know the proper names either but recognize those cuts anyway! 

Your freezer must be fuller than mine,but mine is as full as it needs to be.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Clockwise:

Shanks are shanks

Football roast is Sirloin or Sirloin Tip

Ground is ground

Next is Top Round

Hidden Tender is Eye of Round

Last is Bottom Round

I might have the top and bottom rounds mixed up,  Also I cheated and consulted Steve Rinella’s post “How to Butcher a Deer” from his website.  I always use the names you use too.  

• Like 1