Boots

YFKI1983

Can you guys give me some ideas for hunting boots. Cold weather boots for sitting long hours in low temps.

I have been using old Sorel boots for years and love them however they are my fathers. He has not been deer hunting in the last few years but sounds like he might be getting out this year and i don't want to go back to my other boots which are 3 sizes too big. 

I was about to buy the Sorel Caribous but read that they are no longer made in Canada. Now they are made in China or Vietnam and some reviews say the quality is not the same.

Let me know what you guys think. I don't have to do a ton of walking but still would prefer not having an extra clunky boot. Thanks

Just a thought, are the boots you already have adequate? Though they are too big, you could buy some heavy wool socks and wear two, or even three pairs. That would take up the extra space, and add layers of warm insulation. This is what I do when I buy cold weather hunting boots. Buy them a bit larger than my normal shoe size, so I can layer wool socks. 

Just bought a couple more pairs of Smartwool hunt socks. I love them!

And always better to have cold weather boots not too tight!

• Like 1

Yea that was the thought when I bought them like 15 years ago but I bought way too big. I think I was thinking my feet would grow a bit more more but didn't happen. Gigantic.. I dont miss one twig in the woods when I have them on lol

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

For my long sits on the cold days in a stand I use Mickey boots. Sure they are big but 2 pair of socks and my feet last longer then my stomach. Man I get hungry on those days burning calories. Watch all those Alaska shows. They all use them. I got mine for $35 at a local surplus store about 9 years ago. Not sure where to get them or how much but mine are still in great shape. If you can get for $50 that's 3 pair for the price of 1 

• Like 1

For my long sits on the cold days in a stand I use Mickey boots. Sure they are big but 2 pair of socks and my feet last longer then my stomach. Man I get hungry on those days burning calories. Watch all those Alaska shows. They all use them. I got mine for $35 at a local surplus store about 9 years ago. Not sure where to get them or how much but mine are still in great shape. If you can get for $50 that's 3 pair for the price of 1 
Never heard of them. Is it these?

Screenshot_20201014-071954_Chrome.jpg

32 minutes ago, The Engineer said:

That is what I have been using for deer hunting the last 6 years.   My feet have never got cold in them and they have held up good.  

My only complaint is they are not quite as tall as I would like for crossing deep water. I have got pretty good soakers a  couple times, when I had to cross deep water to recover downed deer. If it is a narrow ditch, I have been able to tie them tight and step in the middle without it coming thru a time or two.

After the water is all froze, they are tough to beat, and they are especially good for ice fishing.  If you dont mind the goofy looks, the Micky boots are the way to go.

That is what I have been using for deer hunting the last 6 years.   My feet have never got cold in them and they have held up good.  
My only complaint is they are not quite as tall as I would like for crossing deep water. I have got pretty good soakers a  couple times, when I had to cross deep water to recover downed deer. If it is a narrow ditch, I have been able to tie them tight and step in the middle without it coming thru a time or two.
After the water is all froze, they are tough to beat, and they are especially good for ice fishing.  If you dont mind the goofy looks, the Micky boots are the way to go.
Is it the ones in the pic?

I get alpha burly lacrosse boots one size big and on coldest days I put a foot warmer on my toes and two layers of socks. Polypropylene against my skin and insulated outside of rhem. May not be quite as warm as the micky's but dry and warm enough for my feet on the coldest days. Dry=warm for me

Good boots are only one part of the equation GOOD SOCKS are more important than boots . You buy a $200 pr of boots to last you a life time and with care they will. cheap boots like everything else you get what you pay for [we learned that from dealing with the chinese] and everything is old before its new, boots, rage broadheads[think the rage when they first came out they looked amazing on tv but in reality there were problems they would open and not stay closed solution the shock collars and on and on and yes they are the only ones i use] , bows, phones and computers. Back to the boots scenario 4:30 am you start to walk maybe 1/2 mi to 1 1/2 mi  up hill to sit all day  but when you get to the stand your hot and sweaty [especially your feet] now you sit and what happens your body is doing what it does when you get overheated and after an hour  you start to shiver and start to move around to get warm .I got a friend that wears 2 pr of socks and insulated boots and his feet are still cold. What i learned is wool socks [1 pr] are best they wick away moisture and keep your feet dry [the most important thing] open jacket  a ball cap and i bring my warm stuff and wear them when i sit . My boots are 30 yrs old from my dad and i use sno-seal and clean them and dry them when i get back from hunting.You could go on sportsman guide and get surplus military boots or cabelas hiking boots w/ good socks is good but stay away from rubber boots[they dont breathe] pac boots are good cause they have leather uppers. Like anything else in hunting or fishing take care of your stuff and they will take care of you.

4 hours ago, YFKI1983 said:

Is it the ones in the pic?

Yes, I usually just go with a single, medium thickness pair of wool socks with them.  They fit good at my regular size like that. I would order your regular size, which might allow for thicker socks or an additional pair.

It would be best to err slightly on the "too big" size.   About 10 years ago, the cost was $ 40 slightly used, or $ 80 unissued, so $100 sounds reasonable.

Edited by wolc123

Yes that's the ones I have but mine are the white ones. They match the snow :locomotive:but who cares. They were $5 cheaper. I wear a pair of synthetic socks for wicking the sweat and then a pair of wool socks. I wear a 10 1/2 regularly and the boots are the same. With the 2 pairs my feet still have a little room which is what you want. Boots too tight have the opposite effect and will make your feet colder faster. I have sat 5 hours in -11 degrees and my feet were fine. The rest of me wasn't and I was starving. But it was either freeze or go shopping with my wife. I stayed until she left :taunt:

10 hours ago, meateater said:

Good boots are only one part of the equation GOOD SOCKS are more important than boots . You buy a $200 pr of boots to last you a life time and with care they will. cheap boots like everything else you get what you pay for [we learned that from dealing with the chinese] and everything is old before its new, boots, rage broadheads[think the rage when they first came out they looked amazing on tv but in reality there were problems they would open and not stay closed solution the shock collars and on and on and yes they are the only ones i use] , bows, phones and computers. Back to the boots scenario 4:30 am you start to walk maybe 1/2 mi to 1 1/2 mi  up hill to sit all day  but when you get to the stand your hot and sweaty [especially your feet] now you sit and what happens your body is doing what it does when you get overheated and after an hour  you start to shiver and start to move around to get warm .I got a friend that wears 2 pr of socks and insulated boots and his feet are still cold. What i learned is wool socks [1 pr] are best they wick away moisture and keep your feet dry [the most important thing] open jacket  a ball cap and i bring my warm stuff and wear them when i sit . My boots are 30 yrs old from my dad and i use sno-seal and clean them and dry them when i get back from hunting.You could go on sportsman guide and get surplus military boots or cabelas hiking boots w/ good socks is good but stay away from rubber boots[they dont breathe] pac boots are good cause they have leather uppers. Like anything else in hunting or fishing take care of your stuff and they will take care of you.

Good boots and good socks WORK.  Just make sure you buy some charcoal toe warmers for when your toes still get cold......they're the ONLY way to fly. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Baffin Apex.....ultimate cold weather boot....and under 200.00

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Hey, I have those!

I don't have many miles on them ('cept in the truck) but when I have worn them I was happy.  For the coldest sits.......and I still use the toe warmers.

https://www.amazon.com/Baffin-Mens-Apex-Insulated-Boot/dp/B002D48SY6?th=1&psc=1

• Like 1

I had a pair or Rocky boots (cornstalkers) I think, had them for yrs and years. Last few pairs of Rocky’s have stunk. I tried some English setters from field and stream and they stink to. I love my lacrosse rubber boots but sometimes I want a light pair of boots. 

4 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Hey, I have those!

I don't have many miles on them ('cept in the truck) but when I have worn them I was happy.  For the coldest sits.......and I still use the toe warmers.

https://www.amazon.com/Baffin-Mens-Apex-Insulated-Boot/dp/B002D48SY6?th=1&psc=1

Ever try the battery heated socks? My son had a baseball game and it was a bit chilly out and one parent had a heated vest. It was a dandy and I’m getting one a try one for later in the season. Usually my feet are the first to get cold.