2020 Archery Harvest Thread ONLY !

fasteddie

11/7/20. Got in the stand 45 minutes or so before legal. 15 minutes later a gray fox visited. Right around legal light 2 young bucks showed up one came right under me all drunk/rutty. Shortly after a big yote bound in close no shot. A few minutes later another came from the same direction and worked to a shooting lane to my left (perfect for a shot). Got caught drawing and it spooked. Then around 7:30 I hear this buck coming in from behind me and starts turning left. 15-20 yard shot that us right handed shooters love.Once he was broadside stopped him with my mouth floated my pin where I wanted and pulled pulled pulled and the shot broke. Arrow hit its mark. He mule kicked hard before jacking up a fence and crashed in sight. Memory forever, meat in the cooler and maybe I saved a few trees. **Edit** Forgot to add 160# dressed. Sliver away from 16" inside

IMG_2371.JPG

IMG_2372.JPG

IMG_2373.JPG

IMG_2375.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2378.JPG

Edited by mattypotpie8S
  • Like 36

I thought I would post this here being as a lot of us really do enjoy the "old" harvest thread format.

I decided not to hunt Saturday morning and instead head out for an afternoon sit. I walked the 1/2 miles through the loudest crunchiest leaves I have ever heard. I got to the stand, hung my bow on the rope, took off my pack, hung it on the rope, took two steps up the ladder and it creaked. Instantly I heard the "snap!" of a branch and looked up to see a very nice 8 point trotting away, not 30 yards from me. Directly down wind. He must have stood or was bedded right there and watched me over the last 80 yard approach and begin my climb. It was really cool to see and it was a buck we do not have pics of.

4 hours later, I'm getting ready for the last hour of the day and I catch movement from below as a deer moves up the hill on the trail I'm posted on. The setting sun made it difficult to really see what it was, but as he cleared a briar patch the left beam shined like a beacon in the sunlight. I thought I knew this buck! We have had pics of him since July. He looked to be a beast on camera. I started shaking. I thought to myself "come ON... this is nothing new, get it together." A few deep breaths and he walked behind a big oak, I drew and he stopped dead. For about a minute I held a full draw until he began moving again, another 15 yards into an opening, I grunted, he stopped and I let it fly. I could see the hit was high, it looked really high. I was a wreck. 

I watched him run about 150 yards from me before disappearing. I waited a few minutes and looked for the arrow. Nothing. Small amounts of blood. I figured I looked a little further and found good blood, but looked down the hill to see what appears to be his head bobbing left and right. I backed out.

Went in the next morning and found him right there. After comparing the pics and the videos we have, it was clear that this deer was not the one I thought he was, very similar, but not the same deer. The deer I thought he was has two brows, this one only has one and he was not as big-bodied. We do not have any pics of this deer on camera.  I am super happy with him and very thankful that I had the chance to take him.  Thanks to everyone for all the support and encouragement after the shot. He's going on the wall!

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2431.jpg

IMG_9348.jpg

Edited by Don_C
  • Like 37

Finally on the board....
I was in my stand by 6:00 am...it was so quiet and relaxing without any wind....
I watched a small buck step out of thicket at 60 yards and look around the hardwoods....after 10 minutes...he turned and went back in thicket....20 minutes go by and 2 does come running down the hardwoods hill......and the run into thicket on right......then nothing for an hour....
Then 60 yards to my left where the little buck came out....out pops 7 does...holy cow...so I notice theres the giant matriarch that has blown me out twice and is a pain in my bowhunting butt...lol...she is followed by 3 nice does and 3 fawns
So she proceeds to walk 20 yards broadside....never knew I was there....
I draw back ...noone notices....phew....release...
Double lung.....she runs 50 yards into open hardwoods stops ....then does the right handed wobble crash run.....bammm... she is down in view...she is big..
Bowhunting rules!!

755d68cebcef8255362d4a03b19282a2.jpga20a57d0bac3ef27bb40b5e4f29c11a0.jpg7b2da305c37ca4c39969f60f9e44e2ad.jpg10a12a0f0d816816d2d0fcb8d719d933.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• Like 27

11/03/2020 - Election Day

It was a quick hunt, and just about everything went according to plan.

I saw a young buck nose down, and a doe group walk the trail the day prior, and figured I should set up on it first thing in the morning.  Given the expected snow on the ground, I figured the pine boughs would hang low, and decided on a ground hunt from a patch of Hemlocks downwind on the trail.  I was also feeling pretty lazy about setting up sticks and such to climb a tree.

I walked in an hour before sunrise, the snow crunched under my feet.  It was crisp, calm and clear, the forest lit up in a high contrast black and white.  No fresh tracks, so the deer hadn't moved off their feeding, I thought.  My bow in my right hand, my stool in my left, and my pack on my back, I situated myself under hanging cover of the point Hemlock, and sat still.

My wandering thoughts whipped back to attention at first light when a turkey blew out of the branches above me.  Snow drifted in my face like stinging down feathers, and I worked on lowering my heart rate.

Some time passed, and the sun crested behind me, bringing sharp focus to my surroundings.  It was like a late December morning, a holiday morning, and all was still, but for a tree bending on its way to break some yards up the hill to my left.  My head on a slow swivel, my bow resting up against the outside of my right leg, hands in my pass-thru pocket.

The turkey wasn't alone.  All at once, a flock busted out from the remaining Hemlocks, sending more snow down like a smoke-screen in all directions.  I looked to my right, through the settling drift, and caught deer legs moving along the trail.  I held still until I knew which direction they'd take.

The lead doe took the main trail upwind of me.  Perfect.  Turkeys clucking their way off, I pulled my hands out, and leaned a bit to get my bow, and the lead doe pauses, her front half behind a tree.  The train of does stopped and stared at her, waiting for some direction.  I knew it, she saw me move.  25 yards away, a snow screen, in the dark of the Hemlock cover, and she saw me move.  I couldn't see her head, but I felt her staring at me.  I raised the bow, and came to full-draw unsure of what would happen next.  

Crash...  The tree up the way fell.  The train of does shifted their attention, ears swiveling like radar dishes.  I didn't see a muscle move on the lead doe.  She was locked on.  Startled, but still sharp, I held at full draw.  

I saw her head peak around the tree trunk.  She left the trail, and started walking towards me, trying to get downwind.  She was alert, but not yet scared.  She kept coming closer, head-on, each cautious step ratcheting up the shoulder burn from holding at full-draw.

She closed the distance to what I thought was 15 yards, and held still, just in front of a small Hemlock bough.  My mind raced around the idea of a frontal shot, and just as I was about to press the trigger, she stepped to her left, and in a flash, I knew this was the moment she was deciding to bound off, and I was going to stay ahead of her.  She was staring right at me, quartered-to, pin in the V of her shoulder, I pressed the trigger, the arrow flew, I heard a pop.  Suddenly, the woods erupted with hooves pounding away, everything lost in swaying branches and snow floating down into deer tracks.  

30 minutes later, I left the security of the cover, and walked over to find my arrow stuck in a sapling trunk, blood and bubbles on the fletching, brown hair on the snow, a spray of blood behind where she had stood.  I took up the track.

I found her just over a stone wall, 115 yards from the shot site.  She stumbled a few times on her track, disoriented by the lack of oxygen.  She expired in a Hemlock grove, melting the thin layer of snow around where she lay.  I took the time to thank her and the woods for their offering, and was grateful for the harvest, and that just about everything went according to plan.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

• Like 36

On Friday, I was able to sneak out of work some hours early. I hit the woods with my sticks and saddle for some run and gun fun. An either / or tag and a doe tag in hand, and a baby due in a few, if it offered me a good shot with the bow, I planned to accept.

After the fog rolled out for the second time, the sun shone, and the Blue Jays lit up over by where I thought the deer bedded. Not long after, I could see movement in the thick of the Hemlocks. Send a grunt. I did.

A short while later, this doe and another came in to investigate.

She gave me a clean broadside shot, but stepped forward as I loosed the arrow, and at 25 yards (elevated), she tried ducking the string. I hit her way back.

She offered me luck, as it turned out. A severed artery led me to her on an easy track, and my gratitude soared as the sun went down.

C7811B89-F991-4ABD-82BC-FA7006F73335.JPG

• Like 20

On Friday, I was able to sneak out of work some hours early. I hit the woods with my sticks and saddle for some run and gun fun. An either / or tag and a doe tag in hand, and a baby due in a few, if it offered me a good shot with the bow, I planned to accept.

After the fog rolled out for the second time, the sun shone, and the Blue Jays lit up over by where I thought the deer bedded. Not long after, I could see movement in the thick of the Hemlocks. Send a grunt. I did.

A short while later, this doe and another came in to investigate.

She gave me a clean broadside shot, but stepped forward as I loosed the arrow, and at 25 yards (elevated), she tried ducking the string. I hit her way back.

She offered me luck, as it turned out. A severed artery led me to her on an easy track, and my gratitude soared as the sun went down.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=e19349f16091ac34014c1c31147276f6ed5472f99e1e819654d82d48c9fbe3f1imageproxy.php?img=&key=e19349f16091ac34014c1c31147276f6ed5472f99e1e819654d82d48c9fbe3f1imageproxy.php?img=&key=e19349f16091ac34014c1c31147276f6ed5472f99e1e819654d82d48c9fbe3f1imageproxy.php?img=&key=e19349f16091ac34014c1c31147276f6ed5472f99e1e819654d82d48c9fbe3f1
C7811B89-F991-4ABD-82BC-FA7006F73335.thumb.JPG.958d3ea6a179ac59a7230d33316be15a.JPG
Nice work Mike !
  • Like 1

I just got permission to hunt a new property last week, so I have a lot to learn about the deer patterns on it. After the nasty storm last night, and being mid-Nov, I had high expectations for this mornings hunt. It would rain a while, then would sleet a while, and kept going back and forth all morning. About 8:15, I was kinda suprised that I hadn't seen anything yet. Just then, I glanced over my shoulder and saw a big doe hauling ass towards me and she stopped 15 yards away. Her mouth was open and panting, while she stared intently at her back trail. I had NO intentions of shooting a doe, but I didn't get any deer last year and I sure would like to have some in the freezer this year. As I was deciding if I wanted to shoot her, I kept watching her backtrail that I could see for 100 yards, but didn't see any bucks pushing her. I figured I would draw my bow, then make up my mind. (Yep, I fell for it!) I figured being my luck, it would be just a small buck/non-shooter chasing her and I would lose my bird-in-the hand freezer meat. The best I can figure, the brain must have told the trigger finger that it was "Go time" and that sealed her fate! The Hoyt launched an arrow her way! She spun, ran ~75 yards and tipped over within sight! NICE!!

I nocked another arrow, just incase, and watched her backtrail. 2-3 min later, I saw a buck about 100 yards away, running frantically and zig-zagging, nose to the ground trying to pick up her trail. At first, I didn't think he was a shooter, but as he got closer and I got a better look, I changed my mind!! As if it was meant to be, he stopped for the one and only time 18 yards away and broadside, about 5 yards from where I had shot the doe! I thought my shot appeared a little high on the doe, so I purposely aimed low for the heart. The Hoyt launched another arrow to it's mark! The buck ran ~75 yards and tipped over!! Thank God!!

6046-A5-EF-6302-46-F0-9-BAE-5-F0-C3-F8-A

9863BE0F-8F6E-45DF-9929-6D86CD33DAFE.jpg

5D78DD58-109C-4662-802A-893731CCFEB9.jpg

28A3CA9C-21B3-4A11-8B8B-0D3B51B36FE3.jpg

Got to break in the new truck too! 

88BCD0A3-A3AA-46C6-86AF-98620F4B8174.jpg

• Like 34