Bear on a Gut Pile

Splitear

Just got a call from the farmer I hunt on asking where I left my gut pile the weekend before last. I told him, and asked if it was an issue, which he said no. However, last night he said he and his wife were sitting outside and his cows came tearing up through the woods towards the house and were all out of sorts. He said they listened and could hear some grunting that sounded like a bear back in the woods. They were out looking for some sign where I left the gut pile today, but hadn't found any. Where I hunt is open pasture and woods, with fenced hay fields in them. 

My question is this. I killed a deer a week ago last Sunday, October 4th, and I figured that gut pile would be gone by the next day. He said he didn't find the gut pile, but would a bear be drawn to it even if it was pretty much gone? Keep in mind, though there are a few bears around, there's not a ton of sightings in the Ballston Spa/Galway area. 

21 minutes ago, Splitear said:

Just got a call from the farmer I hunt on asking where I left my gut pile the weekend before last. I told him, and asked if it was an issue, which he said no. However, last night he said he and his wife were sitting outside and his cows came tearing up through the woods towards the house and were all out of sorts. He said they listened and could hear some grunting that sounded like a bear back in the woods. They were out looking for some sign where I left the gut pile today, but hadn't found any. Where I hunt is open pasture and woods, with fenced hay fields in them. 

My question is this. I killed a deer a week ago last Sunday, October 4th, and I figured that gut pile would be gone by the next day. He said he didn't find the gut pile, but would a bear be drawn to it even if it was pretty much gone? Keep in mind, though there are a few bears around, there's not a ton of sightings in the Ballston Spa/Galway area. 

bears will definitely eat a gut pile, but surprised it lasted that long

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

bears will definitely eat a gut pile, but surprised it lasted that long

Part of me wonders if it was a bear, if it wasn't just coincidental. Or perhaps it was drawn in last week and has been in the area since. 

I will say, I've been in New York since 2014 and have yet to see a bear, even though I'd really like to. Something we never dreamed of seeing in Illinois.

There aren't a lot of bears but they are seen.....We had one seen in the neighborhood a bunch of times last year....My daughter was scared...I thought it was funny.....She didn't even want to go outside....I have saw tracks in the Nature Preserve across from you several years ago..They are around....

3 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

There aren't a lot of bears but they are seen.....We had one seen in the neighborhood a bunch of times last year....My daughter was scared...I thought it was funny.....She didn't even want to go outside....I have saw tracks in the Nature Preserve across from you several years ago..They are around....

I'll keep my eye out for one :)