local seed sources

hi everyone - new to the site as far as posting - been reading everyones advice on what/when to plant and great stuff - i should have started here but like everything else i figure i would go ankle deep on my own, trouble is i dove in head first

i tried food plots this season and according what I've read here I planted too early and weeds overtook everything and i think various birds ate my seeds - blah blah blah failure

my question is : where to buy seeds locally -   ( I am local to Norwich NY)

I know there are all kinds of sites where you can order seeds but shipping just about doubles the price.  I used growmark this season and their seeds did not grow. I planted 1/2 of 1 acre plots in peas /oat mix (premix)  with soybeans added (per jeff sturges) in 3 locations- none grew - maybe me , maybe them - i don't have enough experience to know

I thought i did everything right 

soil test - everything was good - did not add fertilizer

bought 3pt sprayer and killed fields with glysolphate

bought 3pt tiller - tilled fields week later (only tilled 1"deep)

spread seed with hand spreader -same day as tilling

rolled with homemade roller - 18" culvert pipe filled with concrete - 6'wide

The life lessons learned here cost $300 - hate to think of how much shipping would have added

23 minutes ago, wmg said:

hi everyone - new to the site as far as posting - been reading everyones advice on what/when to plant and great stuff - i should have started here but like everything else i figure i would go ankle deep on my own, trouble is i dove in head first

i tried food plots this season and according what I've read here I planted too early and weeds overtook everything and i think various birds ate my seeds - blah blah blah failure

my question is : where to buy seeds locally -   ( I am local to Norwich NY)

I know there are all kinds of sites where you can order seeds but shipping just about doubles the price.  I used growmark this season and their seeds did not grow. I planted 1/2 of 1 acre plots in peas /oat mix (premix)  with soybeans added (per jeff sturges) in 3 locations- none grew - maybe me , maybe them - i don't have enough experience to know

I thought i did everything right 

soil test - everything was good - did not add fertilizer

bought 3pt sprayer and killed fields with glysolphate

bought 3pt tiller - tilled fields week later (only tilled 1"deep)

spread seed with hand spreader -same day as tilling

rolled with homemade roller - 18" culvert pipe filled with concrete - 6'wide

The life lessons learned here cost $300 - hate to think of how much shipping would have added

My question is did you use an extended control gly?  If you did that is the issue not the seed.  Tractor supply  sells both,as an example if you got the red jug that is the problem.  Extened will stay in ground for possibly a  year, tilled to soon as many weeds grow back from roots pieces if no dead you just spread them. 

Second it how big are plots?  Small plots can be picked clean of seed by birds and if they di germinate by a few deer in a day. 

As for where to by local ,check are for local feed mills, agway, ect.  You can also look up Pennington seed dealers near you on the internet.  Best I can say as I am not local to that area

I saw terrible germination at times this year due to lack of moisture.  I have found good prices online by shopping around.  I have used Whitetail Institute, Deer Creek Seed, Hancock Seed and Nature's Seed.  I have even purchased seed on Amazon with free shipping. A local ag supply store is probably better.  You might try contacting Cornell's extension offices.  They have offices all over the state that provide agriculture related info and services.  Good luck.  

G-man

not extended control gly but thanks for pointing out such an animal exists

plot sizes in acres - 2, 1, .5, .25

i looked up pennington before - not that local

stubborn

i wondered if it was lack of water, i thought we had enough rain ( at least once a week or 2 at most) but I am gonna built a watering wagon for next season.

i looked at seed world, hancock seed, seed land, and deer creek - the seed was $371 - shipping was another $193

WMG The Tully Ag Center has a lot of food plot seed and all the other stuff you will need, plus good advice and help.  They are close to you and great local people.  You can’t go wrong there! 

There is a Farm and Garden Co-op in DeRuyter too, also very good, but most of their seed is the premixed stuff from Biologic, etc.  (last time I was there) 

Edited by Otto

32 minutes ago, wmg said:

G-man

not extended control gly but thanks for pointing out such an animal exists

plot sizes in acres - 2, 1, .5, .25

i looked up pennington before - not that local

stubborn

i wondered if it was lack of water, i thought we had enough rain ( at least once a week or 2 at most) but I am gonna built a watering wagon for next season.

i looked at seed world, hancock seed, seed land, and deer creek - the seed was $371 - shipping was another $193

Our county coop has seed blends available, pick up at.local.office ( they also run booth at sportsman show) perhaps yours does as well

i just reached out to beagler's suggestion, in cazenovia and cornell gave me a store in Deruyter NY

this season just started but can't wait til next season

tiller is cleaned /grease/oil -  sprayer nozzles all cleaned out  -roller all lubed up-  hand spreaders cleaned and oiled-  5 acres of plots planned out-  seed vendors getting lined up

2 hours ago, wmg said:

otto - I did put down winter rye - is it suppose to look like grass?

2 hours ago, land 1 said:

winter rye kinda looks like grass blades are a lil wider,,, but when it first few inches looks like grass for sure, also tully agway has plot seed,,,

What he said.....