Question For The Successful Hunters So Far

SportsmanNH

Congrats to all the successful hunters so far ! 

The question I have for you is have there been many ticks on the deer you harvested. Nobody has mentioned anything about it. Here in NH there appears to be a major decrease in the amount of ticks on deer harvested with a bow. Our bow season started on Sept 15th. Even the early ones had way less ticks than normal. Some have been reported with just one or 2 ticks on them. Last year I shot a nice buck on Nov 3rd , the second day of muzzle loader and it must of had 50-75 on it. Other years I shot deer during muzzle loader season and there were so many ticks you felt like taking a pic of the deer and leaving it there rather than touching it. LOL ( Kidding of course ) . I've shot deer near the end on Nov during shotgun season that still had quite a few ticks on them. Not sure why there are less ticks on deer this year. Maybe the dry summer has something to do with it up here ?  Just wondering what you guys are seeing

• Like 1

I have a white dog,so she is my tick canary in the coalmine. The ticks were crazy abundant last winter and spring,then almost disappeared over the summer,which was a big surprise to me. I expected it to be a terrible year. But they sure are making a comeback now in my area. I would expect that you will see more and more on deer as the season progresses.

You wanna find out how many ticks you have around it's simple grab a white sheet and put it in the dryer for 10 minutes and then walk outside where there is high grass and just let the sheet drag through it...the ticks are attracted to heat...we have a high amount of deer ticks around here 

Edited by silent death

I almost find it hard to believe that some have never seen a tick on a deer or elsewhere.  Granted, some places in NYS have a lot more ticks than others, but I know that ticks could be found in most all regions within the state.  Years ago they were virtually non-existent, but these days you will find them just about anywhere in the country.  I think the suburban areas are the worst, but if you look hard enough I'm pretty sure you'll find a few ticks on most deer.  And I do know the difference between a tick and a ked.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I almost find it hard to believe that some have never seen a tick on a deer or elsewhere.  Granted, some places in NYS have a lot more ticks than others, but I know that ticks could be found in most all regions within the state.  Years ago they were virtually non-existent, but these days you will find them just about anywhere in the country.  I think the suburban areas are the worst, but if you look hard enough I'm pretty sure you'll find a few ticks on most deer.  And I do know the difference between a tick and a ked.

I don’t look for them I don’t want to look for them. I don’t need that on my mind constantly. I do know what they look like . 

• Like 1

I don’t look for them I don’t want to look for them. I don’t need that on my mind constantly. I do know what they look like . 
At least you don't need to worry about having one bite your head and not being able to find it

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My nephew's deer(4u) had very few compared to last year. However I've had several crawling on me in the past week.  Dogs have had several each day until I changed the tick control out for a new one.

Edited by mowin

5 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Didn't notice any on either deer I killed so far. I'm positive there were some on them. I'm not sure there's a deer out there without a tick on them. They're just so small they're really hard to notice.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

For those who think the deer in their area don't have ticks, I would suggest they put the head of their next kill in a trash bag for a couple days.  Good chance they'll see some when they pull the head back out.

For those who think the deer in their area don't have ticks, I would suggest they put the head of their next kill in a trash bag for a couple days.  Good chance they'll see some when they pull the head back out.
For sure. If I can walk around the brush for a couple of hours and come out with a tick, a deer that lives out there certainly has them. Some areas are worse than others I'm sure, but I'd bet they all have some...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Bolt action said:

I'm with @sodfather. I'm in Monroe County, hunt in Waterport and Hornell. I'd have to Google it just to know what they look like.

I live in Monroe county as well, Webster to be specific. Webster is loaded with ticks , pulled them off our cat and dog, and twice off myself . Our dog has Lyme disease, and I know two other dogs and several people in Webster who have it or have had it . That said I’ve never seen any on my deer , hunt  8H south of thruway  .

Edited by Nomad