Question For The Successful Hunters So Far

SportsmanNH

Did not see any ticks on doe from 8M,Jet Sled or truck used to haul deer. However I dropped the deer off to a processor a few hours later so ticks may not have started to leave the deer yet.Last spring in Letchworth Park I had about 10 small ticks on my pants after walking through a brushy area. Useless creatures ticks are.

On 10/15/2020 at 3:37 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

In the woods I am not afraid of yotes, bears, squatches or alien abduction but Ticks yes.  Hate the damn things.  I am also somewhat afraid of tripping over a skunk for obvious reasons.  

I'm with you. I hate the damn things! Our dog is a fox red lab, and we found over ten on him last week from a short romp in Oatka Park, not exactly a hotbed of tick activity this summer. He's been there twice a week or so, and these were the first ticks we've found. I heard from others around the state that this late warmth has made it insane everywhere.

And I do worry a little bit about alien abductions. As said about the most interesting man in the world, "they abduct him so that HE can probe THEM"

• Haha 1

either you're not looking real good or you're lucky, i hunt 7R, 7H and 7J

April, 1 day walking our local trout stream i picked up around 15

during turkey season i had over 100

and since deer season has stated i've found over 50 on me

when i tell you i've only had around 8 get in my skin before i found them in the last year,  i consider myself lucky

5 minutes ago, verminater71 said:

either you're not looking real good or you're lucky, i hunt 7R, 7H and 7J

April, 1 day walking our local trout stream i picked up around 15

during turkey season i had over 100

and since deer season has stated i've found over 50 on me

when i tell you i've only had around 8 get in my skin before i found them in the last year,  i consider myself lucky

Why aren't you using Sawyers  ?  Its odorless when it dries and it kills them even after they jump off your suit.  You need to buy this NOW .  Make sure you spray the inside of your suit around the collar , inside up to the knees and elbows as well as the entire outside of your suit. You will not regret it. 

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP657-Permethrin-Repellent/dp/B001ANQVYU/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&aaxitk=-1GU6jhQ1qtQ18SXGxMrpQ&hsa_cr_id=8405507180901&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0

42 minutes ago, SportsmanNH said:

Why aren't you using Sawyers  ?  Its odorless when it dries and it kills them even after they jump off your suit.  You need to buy this NOW .  Make sure you spray the inside of your suit around the collar , inside up to the knees and elbows as well as the entire outside of your suit. You will not regret it. 

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP657-Permethrin-Repellent/dp/B001ANQVYU/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&aaxitk=-1GU6jhQ1qtQ18SXGxMrpQ&hsa_cr_id=8405507180901&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0

Thanks for the tip, i just ordered it 

we'll see if it helps i've tried a few others with no luck

6 minutes ago, verminater71 said:

Sawyers works!!

Since using it, I've not had one tick embedded in me from hunting. And have hunted some very tick laden areas.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, grampy said:

Sawyers works!!

Since using it, I've not had one tick embedded in me from hunting. And have hunted some very tick laden areas.

X2 .... I use it every trip into the woods , my hunting buddy does not and after hunting together I/We have to spend at least half an hour picking the little darlings off him ! We ALWAYS ride is separate Vehicles !   LOL

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, verminater71 said:

I watched it work a couple weeks ago. I Watched a tick walk on my thigh and then tumble to the ground after absorbing the stuff. Ill never hunt with out treated clothes again 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 2:13 PM, Bolt action said:

I'm with @sodfather. I'm in Monroe County, hunt in Waterport and Hornell. I'd have to Google it just to know what they look like.

I should be more careful with what I say. Just pulled a fat tick off the puppy's face, right next to his eye. Must've picked up while pheasant chasing last weekend.

I'll try this again..

I've never seen a red ferrari in my garage. I'd have to Google it just to know what it looks like...

Here's to hoping!

• Like 3

Interesting question, I’m in the woods almost every day running dogs, picking mushrooms, berries, scouting, etc but the tick numbers are very low to non existent this year it seems. 
Been that way all year. I mostly hunt 3M but spent time in Delaware and Sullivan co this spring as well

Edited by Foggy Mountain

4y this weekend
No ticks found on me while hunting (Sawyers on everything!) however buddy picked one up walking to and from the car to the barn upon arrival (shorts and sweatshirt)and the neighbors wife reported seeing bunches on her recent walks with the dog(regular untreated clothes).

Treat your clothes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk