Hunting Camp During COVID

accman

It's been a long time since I posted, so sorry if the topic's been brought up before.   I rifle hunt with a great group of guys who all live in the same general community in Orange county and my son and I are the only real outsiders.  We'll be heading up pretty soon for the beginning of rifle season and I'm a little uneasy staying at the camp.  I know none of the guys have contracted it, and I trust them like brothers, but it still seems a little unnerving that I don't have control like I do at my own house.  My immediate family and I are very cognizant of sanitizing, wiping down everything, and it's easy to keep a handle on it.  I'm of retirement age, 6 kids, and 6 grandkids, and we all are quite aware of what needs to be done and I'm sure all my hunting buddies are too, but it still is like the elephant in the room.  Don't know if everyone's going to stay at the cabin, like we always do the first couple of weeks.  So, I'm just wondering if anyone else out there is worried about the exposure or not.  I hate wearing masks, although I'm forced to at work all day, but it's pretty good protection so far.  And I've noticed we haven't gotten the summer colds and flu like we used to get, so maybe it does help.  But just the thought of wearing one at hunting camp might be taking it a little to far.  Thanks all and god bless.  

6 minutes ago, accman said:

It's been a long time since I posted, so sorry if the topic's been brought up before.   I rifle hunt with a great group of guys who all live in the same general community in Orange county and my son and I are the only real outsiders.  We'll be heading up pretty soon for the beginning of rifle season and I'm a little uneasy staying at the camp.  I know none of the guys have contracted it, and I trust them like brothers, but it still seems a little unnerving that I don't have control like I do at my own house.  My immediate family and I are very cognizant of sanitizing, wiping down everything, and it's easy to keep a handle on it.  I'm of retirement age, 6 kids, and 6 grandkids, and we all are quite aware of what needs to be done and I'm sure all my hunting buddies are too, but it still is like the elephant in the room.  Don't know if everyone's going to stay at the cabin, like we always do the first couple of weeks.  So, I'm just wondering if anyone else out there is worried about the exposure or not.  I hate wearing masks, although I'm forced to at work all day, but it's pretty good protection so far.  And I've noticed we haven't gotten the summer colds and flu like we used to get, so maybe it does help.  But just the thought of wearing one at hunting camp might be taking it a little to far.  Thanks all and god bless.  

I dont worry about it even a little bit

• Like 13

Thats def a tough one and prob only one you can answer.  I know that on Fridays i am sure to get all my mask mandatory stuff done cause i am NOT wearing one on the weekends.  And if someone goes fishing with me they can if they like and i would never question it but i am not wearing one in the boat.   That being said I think you should do what you feel comfortable with and woudlnt be afraid to ask those guys before you go.  They are probably wondering the same thing.   

• Like 2

If you are worried about it, maybe it's best not to take the chance??   A hunting camp can definitely be close quarters.  Maybe get a room in a nearby hotel or something this year?  Maybe pitch a tent, although it will be COLD sleeping outdoors during the gun season.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I dont worry about it even a little bit

Thank you for saying that. I’m not alone!! I feel like this whole thing is so over blown. It’s like the weather man issuing winter storm warnings for 6 inches of snow.

• Like 6

Not exactly the same situation, but close enough...........

My wife and I rented the same cabin we did last year for this year. Plenty of new rules and nuances this year. We have to bring a lot of our own items this year. I'm fine with that.

I have some health issues I didn't have last year, so being a cabin others have rented we will be cleaning everything with Lysol as soon as we get there. I've spent enough time in the hospital this year, I'm not going back because I got C19 from someone else.

We will wear masks when we go to stores for supplies, but not in the cabin, not hiking, and the only reason I'll be wearing a mask while hunting is because I'll be hunting the first 4 days with my bow and I tend to wear some sort of face covering most of the time anyway.

For you, it's your cabin so you know who's been there and who hasn't. I would still do a cleaning if it was me though. Other then that this is all about how you feel with the situation. If your seriously concerned I wouldn't go. Anxiety and hunting may not be the best companions.

I'm waiting for my wife to express concern about me going to WNY to stay with forum members (and other random people) to hunt for a long weekend. Then I will remind her that we have a cleaning lady come to our house once per month to clean. The same lady who goes who knows where the other 29 days per month. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I'm waiting for my wife to express concern about me going to WNY to stay with forum members (and other random people) to hunt for a long weekend. Then I will remind her that we have a cleaning lady come to our house once per month to clean. The same lady who goes who knows where the other 29 days per month. 

Tough to argue that one!! Well played!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lawdwaz said:

This China flu is 80% political and 20% a health issue. 

Agree, but then take 1-2% of that 20% for actual people who may experience issues. Just look at all the athletes who had tested positive. We and they only know they have it because they are tested every single day. Otherwise, they would have had it without knowing like most americans.

Honestly although myself and many others here don’t seem very concerned about it if you’re concerned enough to make a post than I wouldn’t go if I was you. I wouldn’t want to worry about it while at the most relaxing place on earth. But if you’re worried about it every day now than maybe you have a different opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, out of the 20 guys who belong to the camp, we always get about 11 guys staying the first couple of weekends.  I bring up all the fixins from Arthur Ave, like the mozarella balls, proscuitto, suprasad, etc and enough "Alcohol" to do the trick. There's nothing like the night before opening day.  Enough BS floating around, and it brings out the best in all of us. I gave up my vacation during August this year, we all gave up a lot, but giving up hunting is like cutting off your arm.  I can give up not having all the family around for the holidays, there'll be other days, but not other hunting days, and whose to say how many more years I've got, so I'll talk it over with them, get their feeling on the subject and we'll go from there.  Besides, with all our beverage intake at night, and getting "VonSnookered", I don't think COVID has a chance.  Thanks for the feedback and have a great year.

• Like 5

I take it seriously and think of others. It may not kill me but who might I give it to and harm? 

Where is the concerned with others these days? Kind of surprised 

It's seriously contagious but the odds of getting symptoms are slim and the odds of hospitalization are not even statistically relevant. I'm not worrying about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, Billdogge said:

I take it seriously and think of others. It may not kill me but who might I give it to and harm? 

I respect people's wishes and don't force anything on anyone. I have one friend who is terrified. I haven't seen him in months. But for elderly family and friends who aren't worried and go to stores, restaurants, etc. and want to see me I will gladly hang out with them. Same goes for forum GTG's. I'll shake hands, or fist bump, or nothing at all. whatever makes you happy.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

It's seriously contagious but the odds of getting symptoms are slim and the odds of hospitalization are not even statistically relevant. I'm not worrying about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hopefully you don’t know anyone that might die. Sir for them. But screw it roll this dice man. 

7 minutes ago, Billdogge said:

I know my 80 year old mother will die of something one day, just like we all will, but I don't want to be the one to give her COVID that might do her in.  This is the real issue with this disease.  It probably won't kill us, but if you have any older people in your life you should be cautious.   

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I know my 80 year old mother will die of something one day, just like we all will, but I don't want to be the one to give her COVID that might do her in.  This is the real issue with this disease.  It probably won't kill us, but if you have any older people in your life you should be cautious.   

I’d also bet more than a few members here (myself being one) have a few of the conditions that would make dealing with it worse. I’m actually scared of what the numbers of dead are going to be by winter with this unconcerned thought process. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do what you think is right...   I have a friend that is petrified of the covid.   Hasn't left the house since march and i personally think that is ridiculous.  I was at jersey shore every other weekend around thousands and thousands of people and no one wearing masks and he thinks that is ridiculous....  Guess what.... I had a great  time this summer...............  

• Like 5

Hopefully you don’t know anyone that might die. Sir for them. But screw it roll this dice man. 

My 85 yr old grandfather is going through chemotherapy for cancer. He’s well aware of my beliefs and feelings as I am his. We don’t kiss and hug and keep our space. If we’re doing something together we take different trucks etc. other than that I live my life as normal without fear or worry.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

My 85 yr old grandfather is going through chemotherapy for cancer. He’s well aware of my beliefs and feelings as I am his. We don’t kiss and hug and keep our space. If we’re doing something together we take different trucks etc. other than that I live my life as normal without fear or worry.

Glad you’re taking precautions.