Hunting Camp During COVID

accman

20 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I was talking about the ones who never were even tested and died. If it had anything to do with respiratory or pulmonary it was listed under Covid. And don’t tell me that was not happening especially when if it was listed as Covid they new free funding was coming. This was highly reported in the beginning. I think/hope since it is not as bad.

And no I don’t trust the news. And scientists, well you can put 10 in a room and be lucky to have half agree on anything.

I’m not saying it’s not bad and not real. I did read that something like 98% of the deaths had pre existing conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A pre-existing condition is not a death sentence and more than half of Americans are overweight, which is a pre-existing condition that elevates the risks associated with Covid. Wear a mask to protect others. That much is clear. 

And no, scientists are not politicians. 10 in a room will agree on plenty. But more importantly they’ll agree on a system to seek out the truth. The idiot guests you see on Fox News are not actually scientists with functioning labs. Real scientists have read the data and don’t disagree on the risks of covid and on the benefits of masks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

A pre-existing condition is not a death sentence and more than half of Americans are overweight, which is a pre-existing condition that elevates the risks associated with Covid. Wear a mask to protect others. That much is clear. 

And no, scientists are not politicians. 10 in a room will agree on plenty. But more importantly they’ll agree on a system to seek out the truth. The idiot guests you see on Fox News are not actually scientists with functioning labs. Real scientists have read the data and don’t disagree on the risks of covid and on the benefits of masks. 

Ill take a wild guess that the people they have on the news shows you watch actually know what they're talking about. 

• Like 2

You do you man. I did not say not to wear masks. It’s law in public anyway. What I was saying is there is as much BS as truth with this. And just because you have a degree doesn’t mean your right lol. Just look at all these politicians. They are predominately Ivy League school grads and they are a bunch of freakin idiots!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fletch said:

You do you man. I did not say not to wear masks. It’s law in public anyway. What I was saying is there is as much BS as truth with this. And just because you have a degree doesn’t mean your right lol. Just look at all these politicians. They are predominately Ivy League school grads and they are a bunch of freakin idiots!

There’s an effort by certain media outlets and political factions to feed so much disinformation to the public that we’re led to conclude that everything is arbitrary and facts are meaningless. Don’t fall for it  

In contrast, there are media organizations and even politicians who are rigorous in how they handle and present lines of disagreement while respecting facts and reality. 

This idea that you can just shrug away difficult or inconvenient facts on the basis that “experts disagree” is flawed and a complete misrepresentation of the actual debates that these experts are having. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

I see it this way a  mask defiantly lowers your risk of breathing in any air born crap  that could get you sick  and now with all the warnings  nobody is going to look at you like you are crazy for using one  around people it has become socially  excitable  so why not who wants to get colds flus any of that crap even if its not going to kill you .  plus it slows the spread of  those viruses to people  with  pre-existing condition  that could die or get hospitalized  from it  as long as it is not forced outside on people in open spaces when you are far from people  I have no probable with it .

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, phantom said:

I see it this way a  mask defiantly lowers your risk of breathing in any air born crap  that could get you sick  and now with all the warnings  nobody is going to look at you like you are crazy for using one  around people it has become socially  excitable  so why not who wants to get colds flus any of that crap even if its not going to kill you .  plus it slows the spread of  those viruses to people  with  pre-existing condition  that could die or get hospitalized  from it  as long as it is not forced outside on people in open spaces when you are far from people  I have no probable with it .

#progress 

4 hours ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

A pre-existing condition is not a death sentence and more than half of Americans are overweight, which is a pre-existing condition that elevates the risks associated with Covid.

This ! Being over weight is a major risk factor for covid , yet how many of the ones who take covid seriously have lost weight , you know to protect themselves ? 

7 months into 2 weeks to flatten the curve , nobody should be fat anymore they had 7 months .

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Nomad said:

This ! Being over weight is a major risk factor for covid , yet how many of the ones who take covid seriously have lost weight , you know to protect themselves ? 

7 months into 2 weeks to flatten the curve , nobody should be fat anymore they had 7 months .

I love the way you think, and I'm working out every day - down from 200 to 185. But what the public hasn't synthesized yet is the vast body of literature suggesting that the critical stage is during development. To be blunt, fat kids are destined for tough times and future health issues. There is persistent metabolic remodeling that sets the tone for the rest of their lives.

But losing weight as an adult doesn't do as much for you as you'd expect. It kinds of sucks, because kids are the toughest demographic to convince to do something that won't benefit them for 40 years. 

So keeping your kids fit is a great way to show them that you love them. And then you can make them drag your deer out lol.

Edited by knehrke
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

This idea that you can just shrug away difficult or inconvenient facts on the basis that “experts disagree” is flawed and a complete misrepresentation of the actual debates that these experts 

Words of wisdom.

Edited by wolc123

In contrast, there are media organizations and even politicians who are rigorous in how they handle and present lines of disagreement while respecting facts and reality. 

I would be curious as to those media organizations who just objectively presented the news. I don’t really love watching the news and certainly hate watching “both sides” of the news to become informed

11 hours ago, crappyice said:

I would be curious as to those media organizations who just objectively presented the news. I don’t really love watching the news and certainly hate watching “both sides” of the news to become informed

ME TOO. HAVE YET TO FIND ONE. 

On 10/16/2020 at 3:56 PM, Billdogge said:

I take it seriously and think of others. It may not kill me but who might I give it to and harm? 

Where is the concerned with others these days? Kind of surprised 

Did you ever go to work with the flu? A cold? The flu is just as contagious and in weakened immune people causes most of the same issues covid does.  Pneumonia is what kills, you dont get daily updates on how many people have the flu ,or tested for it. Just as deadly in reality.  Several members of my family had it was a cough and sinus issue for a few weeks.  Honestly if felt alot worse with the flu. 

I just cant give in to media induced hype when you look up comparisons of other diseases numbers this one is really no different.  If they put out comparison numbers publicly there would be riots over all the stuff shit down.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, crappyice said:

The best one I found is the bbc.  As the. Are foreign and just report have no interest in the politics of the news media

16 hours ago, DirtTime said:

Another thread bites the dust do to MF'n politics.

Tis the season!!! It's like six degrees of separation: how many posts will it take for any thread to turn to politics? Less, the closer we get to the election. 

But back on topic - deer camp during the age of COVID.  Does anyone wonder if deer can get C19? We know that cats and ferrets can (I know because my wife and collaborators work with both models to study vision). How sick would that be (no pun intended), if the deer you just shot got even with you posthumously? 

Things I am not going to think about...

On 10/17/2020 at 10:54 AM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

It has been. We flattened the curve in April. That was the goal. Then goals changed I guess?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

People without blinders remember the original goal was to flatten the curve ,happened a bit too quickly so now we're down to every positive case gets a news story . People with even the slightest bit of common sense understand what's going on.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, knehrke said:

Tis the season!!! It's like six degrees of separation: how many posts will it take for any thread to turn to politics? Less, the closer we get to the election. 

But back on topic - deer camp during the age of COVID.  Does anyone wonder if deer can get C19? We know that cats and ferrets can (I know because my wife and collaborators work with both models to study vision). How sick would that be (no pun intended), if the deer you just shot got even with you posthumously? 

Things I am not going to think about...

How would a deer that lives outside contract covid ? Studies are showing that sunlight and artificial uv kills the virus quickly . 

• Like 1

Okay,

Talked to the guys at the hunting camp work day on Sunday, and they understand why my son and myself were wearing masks, cause he just had a new baby, and I like seeing my grandkids.  Their not wearing masks outside, but I wore mine all work day cutting wood and running the splitter.  Gas fumes stay with me a long time if I don't.  But after talking to them about the year so far,  at work, they wear their masks even if half the work crews don't, so it sounds if they are conscientious of keeping it away from their families. I think my son will hunt opening day and head home as he still doesn't want to take a chance, understood.  But I think I can still wear my mask and stay at the camp for the weekends and have some fun.  Keep some sanitizer around, and if anyone is sickly, I'll head home.  

My wife was watching the news and out of the over 200,000 deaths in the country, only 11,000 were attributable to COVID only.  Like what was said earlier, it's being over-weight, diabetic, and other health issues that drive these COVID fatalities.  As was said before we should, by now,  have lost weight to better our chances, myself being a mere 40 lbs or so overweight would like nothing better than drop the excess baggage.  But the way I love to cook, drink, and eat, I'm my own worse enemy.  Besides, if I start to diet now, it'd be blown out in one weekend at hunting camp. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

How would a deer that lives outside contract covid ? Studies are showing that sunlight and artificial uv kills the virus quickly . 

First- this was a joke. But second, UV light does not penetrate aqueous surfaces well. So, if the virus is encapsulated in fluid, such as saliva or drinking water shared between animals, it could propagate. But the same is true for nearly all viruses. So the answer is really "it depends". And if it is at all possible, then Michael Crichton had it right - Nature will find a way.

But catching C19 from a deer is the last thing I'd be worried about. 

On 10/16/2020 at 3:03 PM, accman said:

It's been a long time since I posted, so sorry if the topic's been brought up before.   I rifle hunt with a great group of guys who all live in the same general community in Orange county and my son and I are the only real outsiders.  We'll be heading up pretty soon for the beginning of rifle season and I'm a little uneasy staying at the camp.  I know none of the guys have contracted it, and I trust them like brothers, but it still seems a little unnerving that I don't have control like I do at my own house.  My immediate family and I are very cognizant of sanitizing, wiping down everything, and it's easy to keep a handle on it.  I'm of retirement age, 6 kids, and 6 grandkids, and we all are quite aware of what needs to be done and I'm sure all my hunting buddies are too, but it still is like the elephant in the room.  Don't know if everyone's going to stay at the cabin, like we always do the first couple of weeks.  So, I'm just wondering if anyone else out there is worried about the exposure or not.  I hate wearing masks, although I'm forced to at work all day, but it's pretty good protection so far.  And I've noticed we haven't gotten the summer colds and flu like we used to get, so maybe it does help.  But just the thought of wearing one at hunting camp might be taking it a little to far.  Thanks all and god bless.  

Considering I saw that Orange County had a Spike.... A huge number!!!... 50!!!!!   lol  that's it... 50 new cases (mostly in the Hasidic communities) out of about 390,000 people in Orange county.... Don't worry about it one bit!

• Like 2