Early ML season opener tomorrow.

wolc123

@wolc123 We might be headed back up, but I tend to doubt it, my dad is headed home today.  I want to head back up actually, but don’t forsee it, looking like rain....although the rain would mask footsteps well.    I am getting very inspired to set off for a true deep woods still hunt though.  We are southern Adirondacks, and while we have big wood lots, its not like the northern areas. I am thinking about either seeing if my dad is up for the challenge, or ask my buddy, in which I know he would go.  It is something I have wanted to do for a few years now.

Edited by Bionic

13 minutes ago, Bionic said:

@wolc123 We might be headed back up, but I tend to doubt it, my dad is headed home today.  I want to head back up actually, but don’t forsee it, looking like rain....although the rain would mask footsteps well.    I am getting very inspired to set off for a true deep woods still hunt though.  We are southern Adirondacks, and while we have big wood lots, its not like the northern areas. I am thinking about either seeing if my dad is up for the challenge, or ask my buddy, in which I know he would go.  It is something I have wanted to do for a few years now.

One interesting thing is that all of the deer that I have seen this week have been within 10 minutes of legal sunrise.  The 3 Sunday were 5 minutes after and the 3 today were 10 minutes before.  I can't say there had been much daylight activity, so still hunting thru the bedding areas might be a good option

I dont want to do that yet, on our limited area and with my one-shot ML, but it might be a good option for Sunday, if the conditions ate right.  I will be looking for wet leaves and a steady, strong wind.  Opening day Saturday morning, I plan on sitting close to the edge of a state forest, and hope some aborigins (my word for people I dont know), push something my way.

• Like 1

I just got back from the camp. Nice heavy frost sat. a.m., darn little action in my area. which i think was good. Sat. pm I walked up on a big mature deer that was all alone...it was holding its head high as it trotted away, pretty sure a buck but no shot opportunity. Sunday a.m. I was in the woods in the dark, moving as quielty as I could on the popcorn leaves to the same spot. In almost the same spot I spooked him again (heard him blowing as he trotted off). I am leaving the spot alone for better conditions and to let him relax a bit. Today heavy rain so it was back to home for a shower and chores. I will be back tomorrow.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

One interesting thing is that all of the deer that I have seen this week have been within 10 minutes of legal sunrise.  The 3 Sunday were 5 minutes after and the 3 today were 10 minutes before.  I can't say there had been much daylight activity, so still hunting thru the bedding areas might be a good option

I dont want to do that yet, on our limited area and with my one-shot ML, but it might be a good option for Sunday, if the conditions ate right.  I will be looking for wet leaves and a steady, strong wind.  Opening day Saturday morning, I plan on sitting close to the edge of a state forest, and hope some aborigins (my word for people I dont know), push something my way.

Good bit of info to take into consideration.  If I can get up there again for just a one day still hunt, I would be going just for the experience.  I am aware of the risks/dangers, though.

4 minutes ago, Skillet said:

Good thread WOLC. I hope to see you holding a deer soon.

Thanks, and congrats on that beauty that you just killed.  Sorry to hear about your father in law, and may he rest in peace. 

I am going to keep on trying thru Sunday, but I think my odds of posting a picture of s 23 inch plus smallmouth on this trip may be better than a deer.  There just had not been much daylight activity.

• Like 1

The rain stopped at 10:30 and I headed in for lunch.  After filling up on my mother in laws hot pork and noodle casserole, washed down with a Doseques Especial, I headed down to the lake with some additional "ned rig" gear.

The lake was smooth like glass and the boat had about 40 gallons of water in it from 2 days of rain.  The old cider jug bailer I made worked good to empty it.  My friend from the end of the lake was out in a boat with his wife and daughter in law and it looked like they were catching a few bass.

I fired up the little Johnson and trolled slowly across the lake so as not to disturb them with a wake.  No hits on the perch finish countdown Rapala on the crossing.

I tried the Ned rig over there but Ned was pretty dead.  I did feel something once, like a fish swam into my line, but when I jerked the rod, nothing was there (instincts took over, I had read earlier that you are supposed to just reel and let them hook themselves).

I went back over that spot with my usual 1/8 oz bucktail jig and this little 15 incher was still hungry enough to hit that.  A north wind picked up right after I turned him loose.

I had been waiting for that, to hunt my favorite spot, on a ridge along a doe bedding gully.  I am camped out there now till dark in my comfy tree hammock chair.

20201020_153358.jpg

20201020_125226.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

This is my current location.  If the wind on opening day of gun season, this Saturday, is from any direction other than NE, then this is probably where I will be sitting that morning.  I will be hoping someone pushes something across the road from the big chunk of state land on the other side.

I am really wanting to see how a 30/30 performs on a whitetail.  I took my last one up here in 2016, from this exact spot, with my 30/06.  That heavy thing is no fun lugging around these hills, nor is my 50 cal ML.  The two little Marlin 336's that I have to pick from handle like a dream in comparison.   Got to go, just heard a twig snap in the gully.

20201020_153433.jpg

• Like 3

This is my current location.  If the wind on opening day of gun season, this Saturday, is from any direction other than NE, then this is probably where I will be sitting that morning.  I will be hoping someone pushes something across the road from the big chunk of state land on the other side.
I am really wanting to see how a 30/30 performs on a whitetail.  I took my last one up here in 2016, from this exact spot, with my 30/06.  That heavy thing is no fun lugging around these hills, nor is my 50 cal ML.  The two little Marlin 336's that I have to pick from handle like a dream in comparison.   Got to go, just heard a twig snap in the gully.
20201020_153433.thumb.jpg.b46682846094c4c4314a0d1b8662d118.jpg

Are you shooting lead noses or polymer tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then you should have no issue dropping a deer. I stay 100 yards or less with lead nosed 30-30 and 35 rounds. The polymer tips shoot a lot more accurate for longer distances but if you shoot them aim for shoulder bone as they will zip through a deer with little damage if they don't hit something solid.

7 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Then you should have no issue dropping a deer. I stay 100 yards or less with lead nosed 30-30 and 35 rounds. The polymer tips shoot a lot more accurate for longer distances but if you shoot them aim for shoulder bone as they will zip through a deer with little damage if they don't hit something solid.

I will be shooting 150 gr lead nosed Winchester XX 30/30 if a chance comes up on Saturday or Sunday.

For now, I am hunkered down under my tree umbrella/snare drum, hoping to catch a group of antlerless deer on their way back from a power line cut that is on the other side of that pole barn.

A Canadian fella owns that, but he has not been here all season due to the Covid lockdown.  The only thing mowing the grass growing up around it has been the deer so far this year.

I got to use the ML thru friday, but am allowed to take an antletless deer around here with that.  I have electric tape over the muzzle of the stainless barrel to keep the water out.

20201021_080532.jpg

Edited by wolc123

22 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I saw some movement in the pines off to my left, but I suppose whatever it was was frightened off by the snare drum that forms my "roof".   It started raining a bit harder again, but the closest weather station (about 20 miles east) is calling for a 10:00 stop. Hopefully, it won't be too much longer.

I am down to my last cup of hot cider.  The south breeze has also picked up a bit, so hopefully that will make things warm up for out on the boat. I just finished reading up on the fine points of ned rig fishing (thanks for that tip Tacs).

I  also just completed a field modification of my camp chair drink holder.  After carrying that space blanket around I'm my pack for 10 years I finally found a use for it.  The drink holder must have been designed for a beer can, but now it works a lot better for a little thermos cup:

20201020_100506.jpg

If I were to drink hot cider out in the woods there would be a littering of TP all over the mountain!

Seriously, good luck up there... looks like an awesome trip

5 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

If I were to drink hot cider out in the woods there would be a littering of TP all over the mountain!

Seriously, good luck up there... looks like an awesome trip

The timing usually works out good for lunch and I have not had to leave any TP in the woods yet.   Fortunately, there are 4 bathrooms at my in-laws place although the outhouse is now closed for the season, so they are down to three.  Thst works out good, because there are just three of us here this week.

It did not rain over night, and I got to my spot 1/2 hour before sunup.   There was a heck of a deluge right before sunup, but at least the wind let up then, so the rain fell straight down.  The worst times have been just before and after the real heavy rains, when the wind is blowing hard and it comes in sideways.  

It is very warm though, so I am not complaining.  My gortex rain jacket stops everything that blows in under the umbrella. I will need to throw my bibs in the dryer at lunch time again though. 

I wore them instead of my rubber rain suit bottom, because they are all I got that has been treated with Sawyers.  I am more afraid of tics than rain.  The last deer I brought home from up here had hundreds on it.  I have not seen any yet this year though.  My only insect trouble was a skeeter bite the other day and gnats in my cider cup.

• Like 1

It looks like this will be a good morning to try and sneak in, downwind of the spot I found with the fresh buck scrape and lots of doe scat the other afternoon.

There is no rain in the forecast, and a steady, 4mph se wind.  I am going to try and be in position 1/2 hour to 45 minutes before sunrise.  So far this week, all of the 6 deer that I have seen have been within 10 minutes of sunrise.  Only 4 chances left before Saturday to punch that antlerless tag.

• Like 1

I had to modify the plan due to contact with at least 3 bogies on the walk in.  I was headed south on the main gravel road into camp, on foot with the wind in my face.  I heard something big busting thru the Bush up ahead, off to my right.  I froze and heard two more off to my left both snorting, telling me what they were.

Since I had the wind advantage, and deer are virtually blind without their nose, I decided to fake left and go right.  There is no way I could continue on to my intended spot upwind without tipping them off.  

I took a couple steps in that direction, and the two on my left snorted again and bolted off further into the Bush.  There is no way they could get downwind of me without swimming.

Now I am way downwind, up on a ridge, where the morning thermals should take my scent safely out of harm's way.  1 hour to go till daylight and all is quiet. 

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Another wrench got thrown into my morning plan.  As I was editing the tapatalk corrections to my prior post, in the pitch black dark, I heard some close hoof step thumps.  They stopped and about 10 minutes of loud snorting started, maybe 30 yards away.  I heard a couple softer snorts farther upwind.

I am guessing it is the big doe and two fawns that I saw up here on Sunday. Now she is farther down below, and I just heard another snort.  Maybe she caught s glimpse of the light from my smart phone in the dark. I dont think she could have smelled me yet and I just poured my first cup of cover/attractant scent.

It is getting light enough to see now and I am capped up.  If she offers a shot after 7:26, I will send it.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

A small deer just ran across the top of the ridge, about 100 yards away.  4 minutes to go till legal.  I dont think anything has winded me yet.  That was the first one I have seen this week while I was seated.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

After a couple of run ins with the local deer herd this morning, I came up with a new plan.  That picture I took of the shoreline, while out on the lake yesterday, indicates it is in pretty good shape and could use some thinning.  Note the clear 6 ft browse line on the hemlocks around the entire perimeter.  That marks as high as they can reach, while standing on the ice in the winter.

My father in law has a few more tasks for me, including taking out a dock section and stowing it on the shore. We have been waiting for a day with light wind and no rain and this looks to be it.  I thought of a task for him.  He always gets up real early anyhow.  

Every morning, a year round resident or two drive by before daylight for thier jobs in town. The deer are used to that traffic.  They are not used to people stopping and slamming vehicle doors, or walking down the road at night.

I am going to ask my father in law to drive me past my intended destination with the plow truck.  I will be sitting in the back on the sand bags.  He will slow down and I will jump quietly out when we get past the deer crossing. 

This plan should work with a prevailing sw wind. Tonight is shower night.  I will use scent free soap and antiperspirant.  I should be able to get into position, with my back to the swamp, without tipping off the deer that I am there. 

When they come back from thier morning feed, i will be there waiting with my back to the swamp and with a 240 gr surprise for them.

20201021_172539.jpg

I am up early this morning, in anticipation at my last couple shots at thinning the local deer herd today with the thunder stick.  I helped my "driver", get a heavy dock section up out of the lake, into it's winter position yesterday.  Hopefully, he will be up early and ready to complete his mission for me this morning.  

I cut yesterday evenings hunt a little short because I was worried about a carcass spoiling over a very warm night, if I were to kill one then.  Even though the temp is supposed to get into the 70's today, that should not be a problem.  My mother in law has a friend, in the nearest town, who processed and bear and has a cooler.  I did not know about the cooler until she told me at dinner last night.

I got a spot ready, during my afternoon deer sit, for opening morning of rifle season, tomorrow.  I trimmed some branches for shooting lanes and prepared a spot for my camp chair and tree umbrella. 

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Father in law was rearing to go and we jumped the gun a bit this morning.  I altered my plan slightly, due to the steady 8 mph wind this morning.  He dropped me off well ahead of schedule.

Now I am seated comfortably in my tree hammock chair, strapped to a tree a bit further into the Bush than I had planned, and well down wind of the scrapes and fresh doe scat that I located a few days ago.

There is more than an hour to go of pitch black darkness.  In this "troublesome bear" release area, I have the same "hair stand up on back of neck" feeling right now, that I had after blowing a few fawn bleats the other day.  Just what is making those noises I hear in the distance ?

I am not going to pour a cup of cider until I can see a little bit and cap my ML.  I dont need a bear sneaking in for a sweet snack yet.  Hopefully, my own scent will keep them away until it gets light.  The wind is blowing right towards the trap and transfer release area.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

This is my current view.  There is a couple buck a scrapes about 100 yards, upwind and off to my left, and a bedding area about 300 yards off to my right.  I have now made it thru the first 1.5 hours of daylight, with the only wildlife sighting a single red squirrel.  I have no clue what the loud noises I heard in the dark were earlier.

Weather conditions are as comfortable as I have seen all week, wearing just boxers and a t shirt under my insulated Sawyers-treated bibs, and a light-weight "scent-factor" camo jacket. No layering needed today.

Only trouble is gnats getting into my cider cup.  I thought the elevated position would work, but they are still wanting to try swimming. At least they are east to pick out with a finger but that is making my cell phone screen get a little sticky.

Only a cup or two left, so soon it will be back to the house for brunch and out on the lake for a bit more trolling.  That ought to work good with this warm steady breeze.  I always have more luck trolling with a little surface chop.

One more evening ML sit, and then a rainy opening day of rifle tomorrow.  I am looking forward to that.  The does will most likely be safe from me up here for this year, unless I decide to give it one more try during the late ML week.

20201023_085201.jpg

20201023_085121.jpg

• Like 1

I took a slow still hunt back to the house from my morning hunt, checking out some of the recent sign as I went.  One of two scrapes has an ok sized print on it, that looks to be from a 2.5 year old buck.  Hopefully, he comes out to play, or gets pushed by my opening day of rifle season location, between 7:30  am and 1:30 pm.

I was back at the house for a little more fishing, lunch, and completion of the last of the in-laws fair weather winter-prep tasks.

Now, I am settled in for my last 2 hour sit of the early northern ML season. I am back at the power line cut, which is the location up here where I have seen the most afternoon deer sightings, but not a one, when there was no snow.  Fat chance of that today, when it is sunny and 75.  You never know, and the odds are better here, than back in the house.

20201023_155342.jpg

• Like 2

What a weird week! Heavy frost to start the ML week, then windier than heck. After spooking a deer out of my far stands area two days in a row and giving it a few days rest, nothing spotted there after. Despite record high heat on friday (mid seventies) i knew there were no deer to be had in the cabin friday pm so I still went out. Even if I am not seeing anything I am easily and happily entertained by the squirrels, nuthatches, chickadees, etc. Wouldn't ya know it though, right before legal shooting ends I spot a big momma doe and two big fawns wandering my way. I let them keep a comin'. Momma knew something didn't look right in my tree, but I was hunkered down over my t/c inline rock steady, so she continued to browse towards me. at 30 yards she gave me a nice broadside shot and I dropped her clean. 

After many seasons and more than many deer taken, I still am sad when I  sit down with them afterwards, for my little "thanks" ritual. She was a truly beautiful mature doe, and the fawns were lingering nearby in a crises. Very sorry guys.  Admiring her beautiful coat, I realized I had never before seen such a short coat. It was no longer than my Rotties. Due to the mild fall? 

As I was burning daylight, I hurriedly field dressed her and dragged her out to my trail in. I hate to say it, but each year it seems I am a bit more ...winded. After hurriedly getting the ATV and loading up the doe, I ran it to my processor. I like to butcher my own but with the temperature still in the seventies I needed to get it into a cooler that night. 

Nice to be sure of having venison again this year for sure, and that leaves me with my buck tag and a doe tag yet. Now I sit back and wait on the weather conditions I want. 

• Like 1