Just a few questions...

jrussell

I did my first sit of the season yesterday evening. I was trying to stay out of the woods until early November, but I couldn’t resist the urge any longer. I ended up seeing two deer, a little 4 pt who was accompanied by a doe. I decided to let them both walk as they were just outside of my comfortable shooting range. The buck slowly made his way past me without noticing I was there. Unfortunately the doe didn’t do the same, she must’ve caught my scent. She spent the next 30 minutes staring in my directing, with the occasional foot stomp.

This situation got me thinking about a few things. 

When you spook a deer while in the stand, how long do you try and let that stand rest before trying it again? To give you an idea of what I’m working with, I hunt on about 20 acres, surrounded by big woods. Deer density is pretty low. 

I can count on one hand the number of deer I’ve killed with a bow. All shots have been taken when the deer didn’t know I was there. Is it common to shoot deer while they’re in this spooked state, where they know you’re there or even perhaps looking at you? In this scenario I feel like there would be high risk for the deer to jump or duck the arrow. Curious of people opinions and experiences when it comes to this.

Thanks

The first deer I ever killed was a big doe out of a blind that was stomping and bobbing its head.  So yes it can be done but I typically want them completely unaware of my presence when the arrow is released.     

it’s hard to say how long to let a stand rest.   You really need to know the property.   But rut activity is coming soon so all bets off then anyways.   Good luck. 

• Like 2

In most cases, the deer didn't know I was around.  Thats ideally the way I want it.  But I've missed deer, and ended up getting a second shot that connected.  

As far a letting a area clam down after being busted, that all depends on how many others stands options I've got, and hunting opportunities.  If I only had one 20 acre patch to hunt, I might give it a day.  During the rut, I'm in there.  

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

Sounds like she didnt spook too bad..She probably knew something was up but never really figured you out. I think you can go back anytime. 

That being said,i like to switch locations a lot,but you are limited on 20 acres. Still,switch it up some.

If shooting at an alert deer I would aim for the heart,i.e low to mitigate the dropping risk.

• Like 1

Switching location can also be as simple as shifting trees(easier if hunting from a climber). I shot a spike last year that came in with a few other deer who hung around staring at me after the shot.
Later that season I changed my tree only about 20 yards away and swear the deer I killed was looking up in the tree I was in for the previous deer.
Play the wind!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The doe I killed today was within 30 yds of a stand that was probably used recently as there was sign of a recent deer gutted within 50 yds of the stand. You can burn stands out, but if the deer are using an area, just moving a few yards away can make a difference.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1