blackbeltbill

GOBBLERS, JAKES + HENS, I COULD HAVE KILLED + LET WALK.

Sir-diealot's admirable decision yesterday not to take a Hen when 12+ were in Gun Range of his Blind made me reflect on all the Turkeys, I have let Live. And the number is quite alot. I estimate over 20 Gobblers,Jakes, + Hens.

Now, I Estimate about 5 Fall Family Flocks over my 31 Fall Seasons that, I could not Flush + Separate while Approaching from Behind .   Instead they all Ran Away in a Straight Line and fairly close together.   I had time to shoot at 2 Turkeys easy each time.

Instead, I let them go as , I JUST CAN'T SHOOT A TURKEY IN THE ASS FROM BEHIND.

I estimate about 10 Fall Turkeys, 1 Big Spring Jake ,+ 1 Big ol Spring Gobbler. That is 12 Turkeys, I let live so far in this Thread.

Now the Big Spring Jake, I encountered again from Behind as , I rounded a Curve on a narrow Trail. Super easy 20 yard Shot and the Jake was unaware of me. I let that Jake walk as again, I just can't Shoot a Turkey from Behind. Just a personal thing with me-- but most reading this would have given him a " What For" and Blasted him.

And the Spring Gobbler, I had been watching as he Roosted over a Field Edge and, I Slipped in Quiet + Unseen.  He was only 30 yards away. I call him off the Roost and he Sails right at me and Curves Slightly before Landing about 10 Yards Away. I was still undetected when that Big ol Gobbler walked Straight Away from me.  I let him Walk as again, I just can't put a Bead on the back of a Turkeys Upper Neck  as it walks Directly away from me.

Now " Trees" are next. I have taken a good 4 Turkeys out of a Tree. Rolled Him Off The Roost is a common + Frequent Phrase, I have read many Times in Books + Magazines . Now many of your Peers would probably not approve which is why very Many are Silent about it when they " Roll one off the Roost".

That said-- it is Legal in NYS. Just read + reread- " Manner Of Taking" on page 48 of this year's Regs Guide. 

For me though- it is too easy and, I stopped at 4 or 5 .

Now one Spring, I Slipped in Super Quiet to a Field Edge Before Gobbling began. I was just off the Field Ina semi open area and just standing with my Shotgun " Cradled" in both Folded Arms.  

A Gobble shook me to the core from 20 Yards.  A Beautiful Gobbler was Perched at less then 20 Feet up.  The Tree Leaves were just starting to Grow. 

I had a Great View of a 10"+ Beard and Hooks for Spurs.  An easy 3 Year old at least and possibly 4 years old.

30 minutes later-- my Calves were Burning from Standing stock Still. The whole time, I was unseen and had a Easy 20 Yard Shot. He Finally Flew down and, I was able to move . 

There have been other Roosted Turkeys that, I have Let go. Easy Shots all.

Another Fall Turkey that, I let Live was a Big Jake. I called up a Whole Flock down a Rockwall with me 10 Feet on the other side of the Rockwall. 

A Big Hen presented a easy Shot and, I fired. The whole Flock dispersed except for that 1 Big Jake. He " milled" about at less then 20 yards.  Now at this time 2 Fall Turkeys could be taken on the same day.   I stood up and Let him Run Off. I had the 1 Turkey and, I was Happy.

And 2 Spring Gobblers in 2019, I did not Fire on and let them Go. The 1st was on May 1st. He was within 30 yards but had a Wrist Size Sapling in front of him and there he stood for a few minutes. 

I possibly could have killed him-- but did not want to risk a Wounding on such a Beautiful Gobbler. I think most Spring Hunters would have given him a " What For" and Blasted him. I let him Walk off.  On checking the Sapling- it was a good 7" round.

And the 2nd Gobbler flew off his Roost and landed a good 40+ Yards out. He stood right there for 30 seconds or so.  I like to be Sure of my Shots and a Kill. I thought he was just a bit too Far and let him walk.

And there have been a few others at 45 yards. I let them go as well. 

I figure at least 20+ Turkeys, I have let Go. I would probably have 141 instead of 121 Turkeys-- but numbers just are not important anymore.

Hope the Few Members who follow my Turkey Threads enjoy this one.

Bowing off the Dojo Floor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shoulda woulda coulda. 

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

Little larry-- I can't read what you wrote above . You have been Blocked out for many Months. Whatever it is will probably be Negative or Sarcastic as always.

You Seem To Be Jealous About Something...

Thanks for the high praise. I am not knocking those that choose to take a hen, I just do not understand it, I seem tons of people complaining there are not as many turkey as there used to be (Which I agree with) and I view killing a hen as killing the future. Of course I know people that say killing a Jake is bad because they are stupid, but I do not agree myself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sir-diealot said:

Thanks for the high praise. I am not knocking those that choose to take a hen, I just do not understand it, I seem tons of people complaining there are not as many turkey as there used to be (Which I agree with) and I view killing a hen as killing the future. Of course I know people that say killing a Jake is bad because they are stupid, but I do not agree myself.

I have not Taken a Hen Myself in at least 6 years. I might be able to get my Sister's SUV for 1 more Fall Turkey Hunt.

I am Looking for a Jake .  Adult Gobblers are Tough to Locate with just a 2 Week Season.

My old Car is Down . Just very Happy to get out at least Twice for the Fall Turkey this Year and then concentrate on Pheasants in November.

7 hours ago, Sir-diealot said:

I usually try for a hen in the fall ,less competition in spring, plus I like hearing the Jake's and Tom's  gobbling in spring. Had a great hatch thus year and flocks are everywhere.  1 hen can lay a dozen or more eggs, nesting habitat and weather have a huge influence on survival,  I work hard on habitat and many years of work has paid off , I always have turkeys while many other areas do not.

The hey day or late 90s early 2000 were inpart due to great habitat. Now fallow field are made into food plots, tree tops removed and sold for firewood , early succesional growth has matured or removed for food plots... to many time we change what they need for what we think another species needs when in fact a combination done correctly has max benefit for several species

Edited by G-Man

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

I usually try for a hen in the fall ,less competition in spring, plus I like hearing the Jake's and Tom's  gobbling in spring. Had a great hatch thus year and flocks are everywhere.  1 hen can lay a dozen or more eggs, nesting habitat and weather have a huge influence on survival,  I work hard on habitat and many years of work has paid off , I always have turkeys while many other areas do not.

The hey day or late 90s early 2000 were inpart due to great habitat. Now fallow field are made into food plots, tree tops removed and sold for firewood , early succesional growth has matured or removed for food plots... to many time we change what they need for what we think another species needs when in fact a combination done correctly has max benefit for several species

Turkey Numbers in 3M are definitely Increasing in the last few years.

In a roughly 3/4 mile area past the end of my Dead-end Street-- I have seen 10 Young Gobblers probably all born in June of 2019. As well as 4 Hens and their Young of the Year.

Possibly 20+ Turkeys . This seems to be the Norm in many areas of Orange County where there are medium Sized Blocks of Woods right next to homes.

Of course these Small to Medium Blocks of Hardwoods are Zoned Residential- No Hunting.

I personally have given back for at least 8 Years as far as feeding the Turkeys Birdseed and unsalted Dry Roasted Peanuts.

I have also seen a Decline in Spring Turkey Take on Public Lands. I think it is basically because many more Spring Turkeys Hunters are out.

Alot more Competition. Anyone who takes a Spring Gobbler on Public Land has really accomplished something these Days.

• Like 2

I'm only taking about what I do, and would never try to say what is right and wrong among the hunting community, as far as hen and jake harvests. With that being said:

In trying to build up the turkey population in my area, I have always passed on jake and any hen harvests. I have been trying to build up the population of turkeys here, through habitat  reconstruction for many years. The last couple of years, the turkey population has takened a severe decline, for which I'm floored for an answer. I have let many hens and jakes walk out of my shooting ZONE. I stand by my decision and have no regrets in doing so. 

I like reading your, as well and many others turkey adventures. Keep posting and good luck in your next turkey outings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, G-Man said:

You bring up how big a clutch a hen has, studies have shown that 4 or less survive in most ideal situations, let along how things are here in NY especially my area where the lands have been raped so badly by the Mennonites as a whole as well as others that followed suit with what they do.

36 minutes ago, Sir-diealot said:

You bring up how big a clutch a hen has, studies have shown that 4 or less survive in most ideal situations, let along how things are here in NY especially my area where the lands have been raped so badly by the Mennonites as a whole as well as others that followed suit with what they do.

What is the normal survival rate of wild turkey poults? The proportion of poults that die in their first two weeks of life ranged from 56 to 73 percent in a number of studies of eastern wild turkeys. Most poult mortality takes place in the early part of their lives when they cannot roost in trees. 

this is why habitat is important and weather  for 2 weeks after they hatch..  once in trees they usually.live.  fields to hide in and shrubs are so important .  Most have been cleared for plots or ag production of corn after.ethanol mandate

23 minutes ago, G-Man said:

What is the normal survival rate of wild turkey poults? The proportion of poults that die in their first two weeks of life ranged from 56 to 73 percent in a number of studies of eastern wild turkeys. Most poult mortality takes place in the early part of their lives when they cannot roost in trees. 

this is why habitat is important and weather  for 2 weeks after they hatch..  once in trees they usually.live.  fields to hide in and shrubs are so important .  Most have been cleared for plots or ag production of corn after.ethanol mandate

What is the normal survival rate of wild turkey poults? The proportion of poults that die in their first two weeks of life ranged from 56 to 73 percent in a number of studies of eastern wild turkeys. Most poult mortality takes place in the early part of their lives when they cannot roost in trees.

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/Wildlife/WildlifeSpecies/Turkey/Pages/TurkeyBiologyFAQ.aspx

Now you take predation after they can roost and that will diminish it even more. A Fisher will go up a tree and take out a full grown turkey so you know they are taking poults as well.

Edit: By the way there was a study done of nests with eggs (Chicken eggs as I seem to recall) on them where they set up cameras to watch the nests and what they found to be the biggest predators of eggs was surprising, I thought it would be, coon, opossum or skunks but it turned out crows got more eggs.

Edited by Sir-diealot

3 minutes ago, Sir-diealot said:

What is the normal survival rate of wild turkey poults? The proportion of poults that die in their first two weeks of life ranged from 56 to 73 percent in a number of studies of eastern wild turkeys. Most poult mortality takes place in the early part of their lives when they cannot roost in trees.

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/Wildlife/WildlifeSpecies/Turkey/Pages/TurkeyBiologyFAQ.aspx

Now you take predation after they can roost and that will diminish it even more. A Fisher will go up a tree and take out a full grown turkey so you know they are taking poults as well.

I have a lot of Fisher bobcats and turkey ,proper habitat will support all.  Predator control is also possible  , trapping or hunting , elimination of egg eaters is always a priority for me. 

Just now, G-Man said:

I have a lot of Fisher bobcats and turkey ,proper habitat will support all.  Predator control is also possible  , trapping or hunting , elimination of egg eaters is always a priority for me. 

You may not have seen both my edits in my reply above, you may want to start to hunt crow.