Tried sighting in

rachunter

I tried sighting in my tc renegade with the sx peep sights and came to the conclusion I suck with open sight. My group looked like a shotgun pattern. I started at 30yrds. And never made it any further. I even tried the lead sled.I even tried my 3030 again I’m done the scope it back on. I couldn’t hunt with confidence shooting like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here is a fun, cheap, convenient way to get that open-sight practice in these days of high priced and ammo shortages.  You can still get 5000 bb's for $ 5.  

Get yourself a $ 30 Daisy Red Ryder, put an adult-sized stock on it, to match your hunting rifle's draw length, and use it to cut suspended cans in half.  For added challenge, try dropping the top half off the clip.  

You get practice at moving targets when the can swings from the wind and/or previous shot impacts.  Friendly competitions with kids and/or drinking buddy's can be had over how long it takes to cut a can, or how few shots.

Getting to know those sights and how to use them to hit little moving targets at close range, makes hitting bigger ones at longer ranges a lot easier.

20201020_013451.jpg

20201020_012652.jpg

• Like 3

If you have decent vision once you get the hang of it you can shoot some pretty tight groups using a peep type sight. Things start going south as our eyes age and the sight picture is not as clear when we had young eyes. Glasses definitely will help and I have found single the vision type works best for sight picture, bifocals do not work well for me causing a double vision effect.

What has worked best for me is what is called the center hold, below are a couple of illustrations. One difference I use and works well for me is a very fine front bead or blade that covers very little of what I am shooting at. A real fine bead will work better for me when there is longer ranges. Another thing different from the illustrations is most of my front sights have just a blade with no military style side protection.

Another thing to consider is aperture size (the opening of your peep) target shooting a small hole allows for a bit tighter groups but causes problems with field of view and light in darker conditions. For hunting I like what most call a ghost ring or I just take out the peep's insert for a large peep to look through. I can still shoot tight groups and have a good field of view.

Back when I was younger and could see better I shot some pretty good groups with my Winchester 52 using target peep sights, below is a target showing what they are capable of with some practice. I now have a Redfield 20X target scope mounted on that rifle and do not shoot groups significantly better.

If your firearm groups well with the ammo or loads you are firing sighting with a scope it should group well with a peep as long as you have decent vision and practice.

Al

3535257.png

now-superimpose-those-two-images-over-one-another-to-get-what-the-ideal-sight-alignment-should-be-l.jpg

2009-03-14_072158.jpg.44cd63a9830c63089295f61d239a430b.jpg

Edited by airedale

On 10/18/2020 at 7:05 PM, rachunter said:

I tried sighting in my tc renegade with the sx peep sights and came to the conclusion I suck with open sight. My group looked like a shotgun pattern. I started at 30yrds. And never made it any further. I even tried the lead sled.I even tried my 3030 again I’m done the scope it back on. I couldn’t hunt with confidence shooting like that.

Open sights force you to use proper form, shouldering stock properly., cheak down on comb.  Just like any thing else ,practice. When i sight in a new gun I put in a sled and pull trigger remotely( non shouldered, or held by hand )  remove the human element.  One that's done then practice if gun is off it's you not the gun. 

• Like 1

If your firearm groups well with the ammo or loads you are firing sighting with a scope it should group well with a peep as long as you have decent vision and practice.
Al

That’s how I tried it with the 3030. The groups with the scope where good out to 100yrds . The peep sights have to rings a big one for hunting and a small one for target I tried them both.

I put fiber optics on my 30/30.  Not sure how they will work on a deer yet (might find out Saturday), but I have been able to hit gallon jugs, very consistently with them, offhand at up to 70 yards.  They seem especially good in low light conditions and dark timber.  It seems very easy to just center that red dot between the two green ones, and unlike scope,  they are unaffected by rain, sleet, or snow.  

It took me sevetal attempts to get them properly adjusted. I was surprised how much I had to raise the front sight.  It did not help that I used a front, taken off my T/C omega (I have a scope on that), and an off-brand rear.  A matched set would have made it easier.  Fortunately, ammo was cheaper and easier to find back then.

I may have missed something in this conversation, but I did not see anyone mention the most important  part of using aperture sights,,,   

Your eye will automatically center the bead or the blade  in the the rear sight aperture....Just ignore the rear sight, LOOK THROUGH IT, and  place the front sight where you want the shot to hit...if you start trying to consciously center the front sight in the rear aperture, you are just chasing your tail...

• Like 3

Alot of folks try to sight in theier open (buckhorn or aperture sights) imagining the center of the front sight on the bull. Cant do it, not how it is done. You will always end up with a shotgun pattern.

You use the very top edge of the front sight as the aiming point, avoiding covering all the target which will very significantly reduce your groups. Aim small, miss small I place the top edge of the sight on the very bottom edge of the target bull, creating a fine aiming point. It is a very effective method.

Airedales diagram showing the superimposed crosshair with the open sight nails it. Then you just pick the finest aiming point you can.

Edited by Daveboone
correction.
  • Like 1

I may have missed something in this conversation, but I did not see anyone mention the most important  part of using aperture sights,,,   
Your eye will automatically center the bead or the blade  in the the rear sight aperture....Just ignore the rear sight, LOOK THROUGH IT, and  place the front sight where you want the shot to hit...if you start trying to consciously center the front sight in the rear aperture, you are just chasing your tail...

I think this is what’s getting me I keep second guessing it or over thinking weather the blade is in the middle of the ring.

I think this is what’s getting me I keep second guessing it or over thinking weather the blade is in the middle of the ring.

Don’t pay any attention to that, it will be!

Honestly for this year I would go back to a scope. Too close to go time not to have complete confidence in your abilities and gear!

• Like 2

Don’t pay any attention to that, it will be!

Honestly for this year I would go back to a scope. Too close to go time not to have complete confidence in your abilities and gear!

I have the .35 sighted in and the 3006 for a back up. I was hoping to set up the 3030 with open sights and the .35 with the scope. I don’t know if it matters much but the muzzle loader rear sight is on the barrel not back on the receiver.

4 hours ago, rachunter said:

I have the .35 sighted in and the 3006 for a back up. I was hoping to set up the 3030 with open sights and the .35 with the scope. I don’t know if it matters much but the muzzle loader rear sight is on the barrel not back on the receiver.

With aperture (peep) sights, the closer the rear sight is to your eye , the better,,, Within reason, of course, because you don't want the sight to poke you in the eye due to recoil...

• Like 2

With aperture (peep) sights, the closer the rear sight is to your eye , the better,,, Within reason, of course, because you don't want the sight to poke you in the eye due to recoil...

Thanks I’m going to put the original sights back on and give them another shot. They where pretty consistent last year. If I get decent groups out to 50-75yrds. I’ll get a set of high vis sights. I picked up a scope mount but I’m trying not to use it on a caplock.

1 minute ago, rachunter said:

Thanks I’m going to put the original sights back on and give them another shot. They where pretty consistent last year. If I get decent groups out to 50-75yrds. I’ll get a set of high vis sights. I picked up a scope mount but I’m trying not to use it on a caplock.

Good luck  !!...

• Like 1