Doe Permits

biggamefish

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Ya know I cant answer that . But when I started they were , “ party permits “ you needed 3 or so hunters to apply for one doe tag that the “ party “  got .

Yeah .... I remember the " Party Permit's "   funny thing was I had little to no seniority back then and opening day was Monday so naturally the older guys at work talked me into signing up with their " Party Permit" and by the time I could go hunting - usually the first Saturday - the permit was already filled ! Nobody bothered back then to offer a steak or two ! Life is always filled with lessons , some good some bad !

• Like 3

In the 1950s, the last day of gun season was "doe day"  and anyone who had  an filled buck tag could use it for a doe ..There were no "doe tags" per se... There also was no late bow season or muzzleloader season  The early bow only season was one deer of either sex, one tag per hunter..

In the early 1960s or thereabouts, the party permit system was initiated...A group of hunters,  could apply for a "party permit" which was one tag good for a deer of either sex..An armband was issued with the party permit " the armband was actually the tag"   and only the person wearing the armband was legally allowed to shoot the party deer...

In the mid 1960s when I started hunting deer, my Dad , my Uncle and I went together for a landowners's permit, which at that time required three hunters..The " regular" party permits in our unit required 5 or 6 hunters at that time, IIRC....

4 hours ago, biggamefish said:

Were Doe permits always a (use during any deer hunting season). I swear they used to be during gun only and you could fill them whenever only in a bow only zone?

They were only gun for awhile then only after nov 1st in archery  last 10 have been valid all bowseason ( when they went to computer issued tags)

I remember those party permits. We needed 4 hunters on one my first deer season in 1979. Sometimes in the 80s it changed to 2-my brother and I got several that way. He always managed to fill those! I'd say we got individual ones in the late 80s.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Will_C said:

I remember those party permits. We needed 4 hunters on one my first deer season in 1979. Sometimes in the 80s it changed to 2-my brother and I got several that way. He always managed to fill those! I'd say we got individual ones in the late 80s.

I remember it as mid 90s when it went from.2 on a permit to single here in my.area, believe it was 96.  As 93,94 95 I was on a permit with a good friend I know for sure. 

Years ago, they were called party permits you could up 5 guys on one permit. You could get 1 deer of ether sex on the permit and it was good only in the gun season. and at the end of the season you had to send them by mail back to the DEC even if they were not filled

• Like 2

There should be one buck tag per licenced hunter per calendar year. Every other tag should be antlerless and zone /person specific. Making NY a one buck state would go a long way towards improving the age structure and quality of the entire herd. After that make a state wide 10 day regular season after the rut like it should be .

According to the DEC only 5% of hunters take two bucks ,not sure reducing it to one would go a long way . Where I hunt the age structure has increased very well over the years with just a volunteer change in attitudes of hunters .

• Like 4

Like Nomad said, the percentage that take two bucks is almost a moot point. I'd like to be able to fill both buck tags during archery season! Why not? Every other tag is good in multiple seasons, heck even your reg season buck tag goes to buck or doe in late season!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I can think of 10 guys off the top of my head that fill two buck tags almost every Year. I call Bullshit on the numbers. We have some of the highest Hunter densities per square mile in the country. No doubt about it that having two buck tags Regardless of filling both changes hunter behavior and makes them less selective.

5 hours ago, chrisw said:

And while I'm demanding season changes... Take away late muzzle, make the first week of gun season muzzleloader like it is for northern tier.

And open crossbow with the archery season... like they do in the northern tier of PA. 

• Like 1

And open crossbow with the archery season... like they do in the northern tier of PA. 
In order for me to be in agreement with that, I'd like to see a reduction in gun season. If they would take 2 weeks off of rifle I'd be all for crossbow the whole season...

I can think of 10 guys off the top of my head that fill two buck tags almost every Year. I call Bullshit on the numbers. We have some of the highest Hunter densities per square mile in the country. No doubt about it that having two buck tags Regardless of filling both changes hunter behavior and makes them less selective.

Are those 10 guys in the group that don’t fill out harvest reports? But otherwise the numbers don’t support your assumption.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Are those 10 guys in the group that don’t fill out harvest reports? But otherwise the numbers don’t support your assumption.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What page is your " number " in say the 2018 deer harvest report?
What about 2019?
In fact if you look at the year over 2018 to 2019 percentage of buck take per season change you will see that state wide more bucks are being killed during the bow season then ever before and its stable during the gun season. But yea, nobody kills two bucks....bull shit. I would have more respect if guys were honest and said I like killing two buck and dont really care how it effect the herd. Change NY to a one buck state and what what happens in 4 or 5 years, especially west of I81.

New York (.gov) › dec › docsPDF
2018 New York State White-tailed Deer Harvest Summary

DEC's 2019 Deer Harvest Summary report - New York State ...

What page is your " number " in say the 2018 deer harvest report?
What about 2019?
In fact if you look at the year over 2018 to 2019 percentage of buck take per season change you will see that state wide more bucks are being killed during the bow season then ever before and its stable during the gun season. But yea, nobody kills two bucks....bull shit. I would have more respect if guys were honest and said I like killing two buck and dont really care how it effect the herd. Change NY to a one buck state and what what happens in 4 or 5 years, especially west of I81.

2018 New York State White-tailed Deer Harvest Summary

DEC's 2019 Deer Harvest Summary report - New York State ...
I could easily kill two bucks on the property I hunt in 3s. Would not have any noticable difference in my deer herd. I choose to usually only take one buck just because that's what I feel like doing. I would definitely not want any blanket rule change made however. That would be completely absurd. Last I checked I liked living in a free country and honestly the less nonsense rules the better

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 2

I could easily kill two bucks on the property I hunt in 3s. Would not have any noticable difference in my deer herd. I choose to usually only take one buck just because that's what I feel like doing. I would definitely not want any blanket rule change made however. That would be completely absurd. Last I checked I liked living in a free country and honestly the less nonsense rules the better

#WeDemandADislikeButton

Yea the less rules the better...why have any limit then kill whatever you want. How'd that work in the past.

Yea the less rules the better...why have any limit then kill whatever you want. How'd that work in the past.

First off there is definitely no shortage of deer in the state so 2 bucks is completely fine by me. So go back to walking around with your sky is falling sandwich board

#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 1