Doe Permits

biggamefish

8 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I'll just let you guys continue and prove my point that you think bowhunters are somehow superior in skill and sportsmanship.  Have at it, you guys are doing a great job!  

I dont understand why you have such a complex about bow hunters ? 

• Like 2

On 10/19/2020 at 7:35 AM, biggamefish said:

Were Doe permits always a (use during any deer hunting season). I swear they used to be during gun only and you could fill them whenever only in a bow only zone?

Back to the OP. "Doe Permits" were only for the regular season back when I started. Also you didn't get an extra tag for  bow. you  bought your privilege to bow hunt and could take an antlerless or an antlered deer.....but it was your regular season tag you had to use to do it. So if you shot a doe or a buck during bow you were done, unless you had an doe permit for regular season. 

24 minutes ago, chrisw said:

This is a conversation, therefore we'd like to hear your view also. In your opinion, bowhunting is no more difficult than gun hunting? Do you bowhunt?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I have bowhunted and still do on occasion, but really have little interest in it most especially in the equipment.  Too many bells and whistles involved that I care little about or have time for. 

And I do think bowhunting is more difficult, but in my opinion this don't make a bowhunter the better hunter.  

And NO, I am not someone who bitches about bowhunters having the longer season, etc. etc.  I wouldn't give a rats butt if bowhunters started hunting in July.  I am not shortening your season, so don't try to shorten mine for your own self serving reasons and at the same time tell me to go pick up a bow.  So who is the bigger crybaby here??  I don't think it's me.

48 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I think that mentality is a big factor in this conversation too. We all take hunting for what it is now, and any change we tend to see as negative. I agree with antler restrictions on many fronts, not all but most. The majority of people who are opposed will stay that way... Until they start killing better deer. Noone prefers shooting 4 pts to 8+ points, (I'm sure that comment will bring out someone who says it's not about the antlers, always seems too). Change is hard to swallow at first but most look back and realize that the change in fact improved their experience.

I personally wouldnt mind AR but I just cant support a rule that stops a hunter from shooting what they want. When my twins were born getting out in the woods those first few years was a miracle, I cant imagine having to let deer walk because it didnt have enough points. Same for someone whose work schedule barely allowed them to hunt, etc. Theres plenty of big bucks out there for those who want to be patient, youre proof of that. When someone tags a small buck, they arent tagging a big one. Im proof of that lol

• Like 2

I have bowhunted and still do on occasion, but really have little interest in it most especially in the equipment.  Too many bells and whistles involved that I care little about or have time for. 
And I do think bowhunting is more difficult, but in my opinion this don't make a bowhunter the better hunter.  
And NO, I am not someone who bitches about bowhunters having the longer season, etc. etc.  I wouldn't give a rats butt if bowhunters started hunting in July.  I am not shortening your season, so don't try to shorten mine for your own self serving reasons and at the same time tell me to go pick up a bow.  So who is the bigger crybaby here??  I don't think it's me.

Noone started this thread crying about anything? I said I'm not for xbows, but would be willing to put them into archery season for a shorter gun season. Say what you like, but our gun season is really long by most of the country's standard and I wish we were setup more like Illinois or Iowa. I'm not petitioning for anything. Are you opposed to me wanting to kill both of my bucks during archery?
I never once said that there isn't any woodsmanship, skill or extremely talented hunters who gun hunt? There is, obviously, but you know exactly what I'm saying and you're trying to twist it to make me seem like I'm calling gun hunters incompetent.

I personally wouldnt mind AR but I just cant support a rule that stops a hunter from shooting what they want. When my twins were born getting out in the woods those first few years was a miracle, I cant imagine having to let deer walk because it didnt have enough points. Same for someone whose work schedule barely allowed them to hunt, etc. Theres plenty of big bucks out there for those who want to be patient, youre proof of that. When someone tags a small buck, they arent tagging a big one. Im proof of that lol
That's why I said I'm for most of it but not all. There should be exceptions for youth, elderly, disabled etc... Noone will ever be on the same page with this but it's fun to think/debate about.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Noone started this thread crying about anything? I said I'm not for xbows, but would be willing to put them into archery season for a shorter gun season. Say what you like, but our gun season is really long by most of the country's standard and I wish we were setup more like Illinois or Iowa. I'm not petitioning for anything. Are you opposed to me wanting to kill both of my bucks during archery?
I never once said that there isn't any woodsmanship, skill or extremely talented hunters who gun hunt? There is, obviously, but you know exactly what I'm saying and you're trying to twist it to make me seem like I'm calling gun hunters incompetent.

My apologies if I made you think I was referring to you only here.  I was not.  I did not hear you say that gun hunters are incompetent, but a couple of others here were definitely implying that bowhunters are somehow superior.  When someone tells gun hunters to "go put their big boy pants on and go pick up a bow" and then he gets a bunch of "likes" from you and several others folks, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what the story is here.

I think most of us with young children are in the same boat. I think the year my first son was born my wife and I still made it out for the gun opener as she had just started hunting a few years prior. After that she decided to stay home because it was a huge hassle getting all our ducks in a row just to be out for a few hours.
Now my boys are 4 and 6 and time is still very limited. I balance time in the woods with the boys(who love to run around the lease.....play in the creek.....and chase squirrels) vs. actually sitting and trying to hunt deer. I wouldn't change a thing and know with such a long season from Oct. 1- Dec. 22 I will have my opportunity at a deer. I may not be a 3.5 year old stud....but it will be a deer that will provide us meat for upcoming year. So long story short at this stage of my hunting life I am totally against Ar's for my deer soaked area of 9h!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

People don't realize how good they have it now. Always want to change things to suit themselves only.  Right now we can hunt in NY for 3 months with a bow, xbow, gun and muzzleloader, can take two bucks and most get a doe permit or two. There are opportunities for us all and implements we all can use. I wouldn't change a thing. I love how the seasons are setup and I hunt with all of them cause I like to and can. Hunt however you like but don't take opportunities away from others.  Let's hunt! 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 9

4 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I wouldn't change a thing. I love how the seasons are setup and I hunt with all of them cause I like to and can. Hunt however you like but don't take opportunities away from others.  Let's hunt! 

The only two little tweaks I would like to see is a third buck tag for those who buy archery, gun, and ML licences, and two full weeks early for the crossbow up north like it is in the south.  Other than those two tweaks, things are almost perfect right now in NY, for a "meat first" guy like myself.

1 hour ago, mlammerhirt said:

I think most of us with young children are in the same boat. I think the year my first son was born my wife and I still made it out for the gun opener as she had just started hunting a few years prior. After that she decided to stay home because it was a huge hassle getting all our ducks in a row just to be out for a few hours.
Now my boys are 4 and 6 and time is still very limited. I balance time in the woods with the boys(who love to run around the lease.....play in the creek.....and chase squirrels) vs. actually sitting and trying to hunt deer. I wouldn't change a thing and know with such a long season from Oct. 1- Dec. 22 I will have my opportunity at a deer. I may not be a 3.5 year old stud....but it will be a deer that will provide us meat for upcoming year. So long story short at this stage of my hunting life I am totally against Ar's for my deer soaked area of 9h!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Enjoy every second because trust me brother, blink your eyes and theyll be 16

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

People don't realize how good they have it now. Always want to change things to suit themselves only.  Right now we can hunt in NY for 3 months with a bow, xbow, gun and muzzleloader, can take two bucks and most get a doe permit or two. There are opportunities for us all and implements we all can use. I wouldn't change a thing. I love how the seasons are setup and I hunt with all of them cause I like to and can. Hunt however you like but don't take opportunities away from others.  Let's hunt! 

For $92 with fishing!

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

For $92 with fishing!

Right.  How can ya best that? Corey and I were talking about this the other day.  Can't have it much better than the area we are in. We can hunt and usually have some action in a season with 5-7 deer tags each a bear tag, turkey tags, fishing is great, we ain't got it too bad.  Just need to retire to have more time to include some duck and goose, small game hunting and more Adirondack trips. More good things to do than I can find time for. Haven't even made it over for the shore walleye bite yet and I live 400 damn yards away. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Right.  How can ya best that? Corey and I were talking about this the other day.  Can't have it much better than the area we are in. We can hunt and usually have some action in a season with 5-7 deer tags each a bear tag, turkey tags, fishing is great, we ain't got it too bad.  Just need to retire to have more time to include some duck and goose, small game hunting and more Adirondack trips. More good things to do than I can find time for. Haven't even made it over for the shore walleye bite yet and I live 400 damn yards away. 

Its the cost of a round of golf with lunch. And golf sucks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My apologies if I made you think I was referring to you only here.  I was not.  I did not hear you say that gun hunters are incompetent, but a couple of others here were definitely implying that bowhunters are somehow superior.  When someone tells gun hunters to "go put their big boy pants on and go pick up a bow" and then he gets a bunch of "likes" from you and several others folks, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what the story is here.

No it's all good! It takes more than disagreeing on a hypothetical situation for me to dislike someone. I think the "big boy pants" got a few likes is because that's what would be said in a circle of friends after a few beers. Also, I don't fully disagree with the statement geared at some hunters and I know exactly what the OP was thinking. I too have very little sympathy for someone who complains about "bowhunters" because they lack time, skill, woodsmanship, knowledge, success, ambition etc etc... (I'm in no way implying that person is YOU). It probably stems from the frustrations of a society where we feel entitled to something and noone wants to take on something challenging. I take great pride in my woodsmanship skills, I'm far from being great but that's what I strive for. I try to learn every time I go out, I consider myself a bowhunter first and foremost and love the intimate relationship that comes with the animals I encounter. I like picking up a rifle from time to time but it's not the same feeling of reward for me when I pull the trigger.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Enjoy every second because trust me brother, blink your eyes and theyll be 16

You ain't kidding there.  That's the age when they start causing more trouble.  My wife called me last night asking if the neighbor, across the road , could borrow my tractor.  It seems a bunch of teens, including our two, were having a bonfire back in the woods. 

One of the boys got his pickup stuck in the mud.  I know that particular kid has a bit of a drinking issue, so there is no way I was going to let her give him the keys.  Only after she told me that another boy would drive the tractor, did I agree to let her give them the keys. 

I thought this other kid could do the job, because his family has a big farm between our place and my folks, and he is a very experienced operator.

They got the truck pulled out and everything power washed.  My wife said that the operator was limping pretty bad when he brought the keys back.  Apparently, a chain broke and whipped back. Hopefully, no bones got broke.

Edited by wolc123

. I like picking up a rifle from time to time but it's not the same feeling of reward for me when I pull the trigger.

Not the same reward but it is fun as hell isn't it?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rifle hunting is fun, I'm not saying that it isn't at all. It just lacks a certain level of satisfaction for me. I don't get the same rush from it as I do when I push a broadhead through the lungs of an unaware deer at close range. I've killed a lot of deer with rifles, I grew up in the northern tier so that was 90% of my experience until I moved away and started bowhunting seriously. I guess I'm just changing my views as I age. To some it's a big feat to kill a deer with a gun, it's not for me is all I'm getting at. It's tough to put into words, getting close and killing a deer with an arrow seems like a more dignified death for the deer if that makes any sense whatsoever? I love deer and if I can get close and witness them interact with one another, do things I've never seen, make noises I've never heard, sneeze etc. then I win, whether I release an arrow or not. I've learned far, far more about deer and hunting while bowhunting than I have my entire youth rifle hunting.

3 hours ago, steve863 said:

How would you have worded it ?

I wonder how flyfisherman would stack up again those spinner guys? Or saddle hunters versus climbers? Or baiters versus food plotters?!?
Or Pat’s vs Ginos....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gino's all the way!

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton