Looking for help

Robinson446

I think some people just don't understand what it's like in some areas of the state, like out here in region 8. Deer are everywhere, tons of them. All you have to do to figure it out is to look at the number of DMPs in certain zones. Around my dad's place, I myself could shoot 4 or 5 a year, every year, and the population wouldn't be affected. Even with a lot of other guys taking their deer out of the area too. They are like rats in that area. I have had guys out there helping track or showing them around, and they can't believe the amount of sign there. It's just not the same in every area of the state.

This is true. I was basing my assumption that the 13 deer killed were killed in a relatively small area. (100-200 acres) The post doesn't give enough info to base a "death sentence" for these guys. lol

I'm not sure this is about giving these guys a death sentence, but I would hope it serves as a wake up call for the guys to be aware of the difference between responsible hunting and.. as Doc put it... "game hog"... young folks should realize that there is a difference, hell.. even some older folks should too.

"Again I think more people here care about how many deer they are capable of shooting rather than the deer heard's well being."

Unfortunately that is the case in much of the hunting community... somehow the amount and size of the deer one kills has become a symbol of manhood... I've said it once and I'll say it again... most hunters would rather cut their tongue out than have to tell their buddies they didn't get a deer this year.... we need to understand that this is not a contest to see who has the most hair on his chest...

I guess you guys are right. Let's disregard the permit system the DEC has put in place. Let's just not take the number of deer they anticipate. L'ets not perform the role they expect from us (killing the number of deer they want killed). Let's let them find another way to control the population. You guys act like we are talking about a hunting season for an endangered species.

Doc is talking about taking 13 deer on 20 acres and it being the end of future hunting. 13 deer arent living on 20 acres. bottom line is MOST hunters in the state are not siccessful in filling the tags they have. Some hunters are. It all works out to numbers for the DEC. some areas may take the brunt of the harvest just because of access. If that area is good deer habitat the deer will be back

• Like 1

I suppose if we don't control the herd, then PETA will.

Sounds like a lot of "sky is falling" scenarios being presented. I don't think there are many peopl who have a firm grasp of what dpsm numbers and carrying capacities are for all areas of NY. Some areas, shooting many, many, many deer each year is perfectly sound biologically. In other areas, not so much.

Let's not paint with a wide brush here, folks. But, one thing is for sure, if you are not controlling the herd to acceptable DEC levels, then we lose our important role and sway in the process as hunters.

I don't eat all my deer meat. I donated one to the coalition this year (that was a goal of mine this season), one to a neighbor who is elderly, rather limited on funds, and consumes the entire deer. In fact, he lets us hunt on his 3.5 acres that contains his home...Talk about a smile as big as the Grand Canyon when I pulled up with a big fat doe to drop off.

In years past, I donated two deer to another couple who both had heart issues and were doctor ordered not to red meat with the exception of the leaner varities (deer are one as most know). Two deer a year usually gave them what they needed.

Plenty of deer in my area...hardly any public ground and high agriculture. The land can handle a ton of deer, but it also gets overrun at times. I've literally had hunts where I RAN OUT OF ARROWS (3 arrows..three kills) and could have shot more deer.

Now, I've also been in some other areas where this is not possible, nor good management. It's just a case of localized management.

Edited by phade

I suppose if we don't control the herd, then PETA will.

Sounds like a lot of "sky is falling" scenarios being presented. I don't think there are many peopl who have a firm grasp of what dpsm numbers and carrying capacities are for all areas of NY. Some areas, shooting many, many, many deer each year are perfectly sound biologically. In other areas, not so much.

Let's not paint with a wide brush here, folks. But, one thing is for sure, if you are not controlling the herd to acceptable DEC levels, then we lose our important role and sway in the process as hunters.

True.. but I'm not sure that the OP cared about any of that in his request for more tags... he is a young kid looking to kill more deer...period. we all probably had the same thought process at his age... I think many of us just want him to understand the pros and cons here... he seems to be a kid who is enthusiastic about hunting and we should encourage him to remain that way, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't pass on opinions about what could happen with his choices... I'm sure he has learned a few things here that he might not have realized had he not asked his question.

I love how every Topic I post, everyone gets so up tight and jumps my gun. Is it because of my age or do you guys just like to start pissing matches? Guys im 16, i asked a simple question, thanks.

Don't sweat it......bunch of folks live to get their panties in a twist.

And it's not your age.....I post on another forum thats mostly older white dudes with some coin.......and they beat the hell out of topics too.

You should see the shenaigans that go on in VA, the State issues you 6 Tags to begin with and gives you the option to purchase Bonus Tags. I guess that isn't enough because every year I talk to a guy that says he killed 10-12. One year I heard a guy say he killed 23, WTF! I always ask them, do you eat all of them? The answer is usually, NO! I then ask why on earth do you kill all those deer and they usally respond, BECAUSE. Now I know some of them embelish there stories but, I have witnessed some of them. I just shake my head and walk away. I have reported incidents before and nothing is ever done so I just gave up and instead, try to discuss with these guys on the side the reasons they shouldn't be doing this. I hunt in NY a couple weeks every year and in my experience, this does not go on nearly as much as here in VA. In NY, we seem to have more issues with guys taking deer at night. Last year we had a guy shoot from his vehicle at a deer in the road and the DEC still did nothing about it. It's sad some of things that we observe in the Woods, some people don't respect what Hunting is. Part of the issue is that this is the way these guys were raised to hunt, they don't know any different.

I love how every Topic I post, everyone gets so up tight and jumps my gun. Is it because of my age or do you guys just like to start pissing matches? Guys im 16, i asked a simple question, thanks.

And your getting answers you might want to pay attention to... at 16 you have a ton to learn.

hi robinson. your orignal post to start this thread said you have a few buddies who come up every year with a load of tags. and a later post said they fill or filled most of them. i'm just curious how much land does your family own? and to answer your question. no i do not know you or your family. i do not live up there year round.i do however go up there quite often. i have a good friend who does. and im sure he knows your dad. tks Jon....